Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar's Team

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
A lot of people have been saying they can't wait for Oscar to put his stamp on the team, or, let's judge Oscar after he has built his team. Well, he doesn't seem to be in control of who the club signs - unless he really does know all the youngsters and oldies in the lower reaches of the Football League ! No moves from Spain at all - which I'm sure all of us were hoping for.
He, himself admitted his job was just to coach the players at the club [hence his title - Head Coach ?!] So, it would seem we aren't going to see Oscar's team, more like Burke's team [ and what exactly are his football credentials ?] It would appear that all signings are done by the suits, and Oscar is told to just train them. No wonder then, that a certain former manager threw his toys out the pram !
I've always thought that the "manager" has total control on all things relating to the team. Not liking this situation very much.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm sure that Tony Bloom has said in an interview (was it on Seagulls Player??) that Oscar's knowledge of English football was very impressive when they interviewed him. Supposedly he was already aware of the strengths and weaknesses of all players at the club, having forensically watched DVDs of all matches from the second half of last season.

I don't get why, because a signing isn't Spanish he isn't a 'Oscar signing'.

KRJ7

Jun 1, 2012
A lot of people have been saying they can't wait for Oscar to put his stamp on the team, or, let's judge Oscar after he has built his team. Well, he doesn't seem to be in control of who the club signs - unless he really does know all the youngsters and oldies in the lower reaches of the Football League ! No moves from Spain at all - which I'm sure all of us were hoping for.
He, himself admitted his job was just to coach the players at the club [hence his title - Head Coach ?!] So, it would seem we aren't going to see Oscar's team, more like Burke's team [ and what exactly are his football credentials ?] It would appear that all signings are done by the suits, and Oscar is told to just train them. No wonder then, that a certain former manager threw his toys out the pram !
I've always thought that the "manager" has total control on all things relating to the team. Not liking this situation very much.

I have to say that I totally agree with you. The role of Head Coach is very common in other European countries and seems to be making a slow foot hold in England now. I personally can't see how this can work long term. For me, a manager needs to bring in the players he has to work with and not just coach them. In BHAFCs defence, maybe they have agreed to take control of personnel while OG takes some time to settle and gauge what players are good enough from the teams we play against. That seems sensible and a better idea than just recruiting half of the Isreali league.

All in all though, there is no way that OG knew of Obika, Ward, Andrews etc so it's clear that NJ is controlling this function currently.

An equally pressing issue is the 1 striker formation. Yes we are 7th so we can't say it isn't working but I don't think it works with an Ulloa type player - he's not quick enough. Would like to see 2 up front and I think Ulloa and Mackail-Smith together would be a nice strike force for this level.

Last thing I would like to mention is young talent from the lower leagues. Look at Nahki Wells for example. Yes he cost around £2m but he's young, hungry, quick and exciting and he's stepped up and scored 2 in 2. Why were we not sniffing around? Other examples of this are Charlie Austin, Billy Sharp, Jamie Vardy, Dave Nugent to name a few. Would like to see more of this scouting!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

You will be pleased to know that the situation you describe is not actually correct.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For a manager who, allegedly, has players signed without his full approval and not his choice, what Oscar has done with the players this season is nothing short of a miracle.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I have to say that I totally agree with you. The role of Head Coach is very common in other European countries and seems to be making a slow foot hold in England now. I personally can't see how this can work long term. For me, a manager needs to bring in the players he has to work with and not just coach them. In BHAFCs defence, maybe they have agreed to take control of personnel while OG takes some time to settle and gauge what players are good enough from the teams we play against. That seems sensible and a better idea than just recruiting half of the Isreali league.

All in all though, there is no way that OG knew of Obika, Ward, Andrews etc so it's clear that NJ is controlling this function currently.

An equally pressing issue is the 1 striker formation. Yes we are 7th so we can't say it isn't working but I don't think it works with an Ulloa type player - he's not quick enough. Would like to see 2 up front and I think Ulloa and Mackail-Smith together would be a nice strike force for this level.

Last thing I would like to mention is young talent from the lower leagues. Look at Nahki Wells for example. Yes he cost around £2m but he's young, hungry, quick and exciting and he's stepped up and scored 2 in 2. Why were we not sniffing around? Other examples of this are Charlie Austin, Billy Sharp, Jamie Vardy, Dave Nugent to name a few. Would like to see more of this scouting!

How on earth do you know that we didn't scout those players or that we are not scouting those kind of players? I know FOR A FACT that Albion have 20+ scouts working on and off for them across the world.

I am sure OG knew or at the very least looked over footage of Obika, Ward and Andrews before they signed and the head coach role works to my knowledge thus.....

OG says to Burke, Bloom etc "Hi, I need a Striker" they reply "Ok we have Mr X, Mr Y and Mr Z that we have scouted, which do you want?" They will all fit the profile the club has for players hence we take longer over transfers than other clubs. The idea that bloom and burke just pick players 'Football Manager' and force OG and NJ to coach them in to a team is ridiculous and shows how little you understand about how our club works these days.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Last thing I would like to mention is young talent from the lower leagues. Look at Nahki Wells for example. Yes he cost around £2m but he's young, hungry, quick and exciting and he's stepped up and scored 2 in 2. Why were we not sniffing around? Other examples of this are Charlie Austin, Billy Sharp, Jamie Vardy, Dave Nugent to name a few. Would like to see more of this scouting![/QUOTE]

Patrick Bamford was on full view at MKD for the first half of the season. Scored goals regularly. Snapped up by Derby and the rest is history. No one took a chance on Adam LeFondre for ages. Reading got him for £300k. They also picked up plenty of bargains from Ireland at cheap rates.
There is this elitist view that football lower down the pyramid is rubbish and these players can't make the step up. Well its a good job that somebody took a chance on Kevin Keegan, Ian Rush, Ray Clemence, Rickie Lambert, Ian Wright and many, many more.
This obsession with foreign players just does my head in. Lets try working a bit harder to unearth some more ' local ' talent.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yawn. You're obviously very disappointed and distressed, and too impatient to wait until the end of the transfer window. You have the option of not supporting the club, as they're obviously not meeting your requirements (not spending enough money, not playing two up-front when you know better, etc).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Might be telling that Norwich haven't come sniffing around this transfer window.Not like them not to target/cherry-pick our best players.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Oscar has put his stamp on the team, we play differently than we did under Gus, that is his stamp. It is Oscars team, he is the driver and mechanic, Burke just sources the parts Oscar needs.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Oscar has put his stamp on the team, we play differently than we did under Gus, that is his stamp. It is Oscars team, he is the driver and mechanic, Burke just sources the parts Oscar needs.

Excellent way of putting it.

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
And read the subsequent discussion about it on here http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?288279-David-Burke

Thanks. Listened to it and read all the posts. This slipped under my radar back in October. Many comments still apply to now though, don't they ! Still, with his background, his database, and his team, we haven't exactly been salivating with excitement over the summer signings or the Jan window transfer "reported" targets. Still, there's 9 more days to go, and I may end up eating humble pie - And I really hope I do ! If we are aiming for promotion we need to see some IN transfer action. Maybe it all depends on Bridcutt going !
I'm not there to see and hear things direct, so can only deduce goings on through the internet. So apologies if you think I'm being ignorant of affairs.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks. Listened to it and read all the posts. This slipped under my radar back in October. Many comments still apply to now though, don't they ! Still, with his background, his database, and his team, we haven't exactly been salivating with excitement over the summer signings or the Jan window transfer "reported" targets. Still, there's 9 more days to go, and I may end up eating humble pie - And I really hope I do ! If we are aiming for promotion we need to see some IN transfer action. Maybe it all depends on Bridcutt going !
I'm not there to see and hear things direct, so can only deduce goings on through the internet. So apologies if you think I'm being ignorant of affairs.

No, we may not have been salivating yet, but that can be due to a number of factors. But it is not due to Oscar not having a say in who we sign.
I don't believe you are ignorant and you have taken the time to listen to everything, so that's all good. We will see what happens in the rest of the window :thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Christ alive.

I want GOOD signings. Kevin Andrews and Steven Ward are examples of GOOD signings. Just because they havn't come from the spanish lower leagues doesn't make them shit. I don't want us to sign someone called Kevin de Andrei Pompostulo Avagaro just because he has 10 words in his name. Doesn't make him a better football player.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Every time I see a post with "want to see 2 up front" I have a chuckle to myself, Oscar said words to the effect of "we always set up 433, if we need to change I will change the players not the formation" in one of his early interviews :lol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

Oh, and you may be detecting some aggression towards your initial post. This is because we have at least one thread like this started everyday, usually started by someone who then never revisits the thread and is just stirring.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Patrick Bamford was on full view at MKD for the first half of the season. Scored goals regularly. Snapped up by Derby and the rest is history. No one took a chance on Adam LeFondre for ages. Reading got him for £300k. They also picked up plenty of bargains from Ireland at cheap rates.
There is this elitist view that football lower down the pyramid is rubbish and these players can't make the step up. Well its a good job that somebody took a chance on Kevin Keegan, Ian Rush, Ray Clemence, Rickie Lambert, Ian Wright and many, many more.
This obsession with foreign players just does my head in. Lets try working a bit harder to unearth some more ' local ' talent.

Patrick Bamford is a Chelsea player who was on loan to MKDons and is now on loan to Derby. It may be that Chelsea rejected loan options to other teams?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here