Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sardinia advice

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
Morning All,

I'm thinking of heading to Sardinia for holiday in late June or early July with my girlfriend and was just after some travel advice.

Any suggestion on where to stay and what to see and do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I just remember Sardinia being one massive desert with a single railway line linking north and south - Then again, i was there for Italia 90, so not much chance for any 'culture' as all Englishmen were regarded as rapists and animals by the locals at the time - I can't think why??

BUT, I'm sure it's a nice place to holiday with a partner. The north was nicer than the south, especially Olbia - Great beaches, restaurant's and bars. Popular with wealthy Romans at the time if i remember.

I can't remember much else really, but then again, I was drunk...a lot!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Had a holiday in Isola Rossa at the extreme north end of the island. Beautiful location with great beaches, if a little isolated. Went on a few boat trips and visited Bonifacio in Corsica. Isola Rossa has 3/4 restaurants and a couple of bars and no clubs. Also very few Brits.
59563_b.jpg

We stayed at the Hotel Corallo which can be seen with it's pool in the above photo.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Have been to alghero twice and olbia once. Would recommend both areas but preference for alghero. Lovely beaches, very friendly people, good food and not too expensive. Alghero old town has a Catalan feel and is great for couples or families. Pm me if you want to know more/specifics.

The time you are suggesting will see temperatures of late 20s to early mid 30s

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had a nice time down in Cagliari 2 summers back. We went up to Oristano one day by train to then get buses to the shell-covered and supposedly glassy beaches around there, but found that life without a car in Sardinia gets you not far at all. So best to hire a car and drive around if you want to get into the non-citied areas. Supposed to be some amazing old sites up from Oristano. Cagliari was good for some reasonable eating and some nice days on the beach roasting and paddling.

We flew back from Alghero, and i found that place depressing. It was filled with Scandanavian and German Meade-alikes. These carbon copies of pasty, untannable-legged, tomato-faced gentlemen with a paunch were wearing the same outfits as me and that was shocking. A hall of Meade-mirrors, none of us pleased to see each other.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
We flew to Alghero and stayed in a Villa just outside Bosa. Some of my most beautiful beaches i have been to and many were nearly deserted due to their being that many to choose from. One of my fav holidays and both flight and accommodation was relatively cheap that was an extra bonus. If you do go that way let me know and I will recommend a couple of fantastic beaches we found.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We flew to Alghero and stayed in a Villa just outside Bosa. Some of my most beautiful beaches i have been to and many were nearly deserted due to their being that many to choose from. One of my fav holidays and both flight and accoimmodation was relatively cheap that was an extra bonus. If you do go that way let me know and I will recommend a couple of fantastic beaches we found.

Yep Bosa is a lovely little town. Even the marina beach there is beautiful. There are plenty of great value alghero and bosa properties to rent on holiday lettings. We used them for one of our trips and had a superb 3 bed villa with private pool for under 2k euros for 2 weeks.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Tricky to go wrong in Sardegna, the best beaches in Europe are around every corner (by hire car) wonderful food, try the Spagetti alla Bottarga, no bad hotels as they won't let you build one unless it's 3 star or higher. Marvellous place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here