Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Baird

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
"Chris Baird's future remains up in the air after his four-month Royals contract expired this week.

The midfielder made a big impact having arrived on a free transfer in September but has missed the last seven weeks due to an ankle injury.

His deal ran out on Monday meaning he can now sign for another club"

So you do not believe their local reporter then?

I see you have now edited the post with this

"I understand people wanting the best for their club but when you see comments to the effectcthat because he is older than elAbd he must be worse you do kinda despair"

Well done.

My original post is still there (page2).

Apolgies if I am 10 days ahead of myself re: the end of Baird's contract He is however still "at" Reading undergoing physio etc.land they are still in the box seat if they want to retain his services.

FWIW any player within six months of the end of his contract is free to speak to another club so to thst extent your quote from the local reporter is wrong. Baird could have spoken to other clubs at any time which is why I suspect he will stay at Reading if offered a contract and what we are seeing is a ploy by his agent to get them to extend his current deal.

Last edited:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Crawley have turned down a bid of £400k for their young Centre Half Joe Walsh - Coincidence?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I believe that player is already at the club.
He's just not ready yet.

A full international from the Premier League, will make for a handy deputy.

Who so far this season have embarrassed our glacial central defence with their pace?

Our first choice defence (as I said before) is fine. It's about balancing the squad IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Quality young players don't come cheap. If we're going to shell out 7 figures on a player, it has to be a forward.

Signing a player like Chris Baird on a free is an ideal scenario.

Wages!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and resale value is also a consideration. We were after Dick Van Dyke not so long ago. What has changed?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our first choice defence (as I said before) is fine. It's about balancing the squad IMHO.
How does introducing pace into a defence that doesn't play high line off side, is all about position and reading the game, going to balance the squad.
Surely if anything it will imbalance the defensive unit.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How does introducing pace into a defence that doesn't play high line off side, is all about position and reading the game, going to balance the squad.

Indeed. Defenders are a special breed. They are a UNIT.

How often do you see a manager sub off one centre back for another when no injury is involved? Never. That's because they're job is to be solid.

Therefore, not for one moment will a manager think "I'm going to sub off GG for this new young centre back who has a bit more pace". It makes no sense.

Sure you want "balance" in all other areas of your squad. You want some wide men like David who are based on delivery and technique, and the you want the other end of the spectrum in Noone and Lua Lua who use pace to breakdown a defence. You want a nippy little striker to chuck on when the big man hasn't had much luck.

All the more reason a player like Baird, who won't let you down, would be excellent.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We play to our strengths, which would change with more pace.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. Defenders are a special breed. They are a UNIT.

How often do you see a manager sub off one centre back for another when no injury is involved? Never. That's because they're job is to be solid.

Therefore, not for one moment will a manager think "I'm going to sub off GG for this new young centre back who has a bit more pace". It makes no sense.

Sure you want "balance" in all other areas of your squad. You want some wide men like David who are based on delivery and technique, and the you want the other end of the spectrum in Noone and Lua Lua who use pace to breakdown a defence. You want a nippy little striker to chuck on when the big man hasn't had much luck.

All the more reason a player like Baird, who won't let you down, would be excellent.

Nonsense. Supposing we are up against a fast striker, e.g. Vydra versus El Abd. The latter's lack of pace was exposed. In fact, it was embarrassing. Oh to have a bit of pace in the defence in that game.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not really, because it is a FACT that we can do better, and have done in the past BTW.

So if we were linked to, lets say, Brede Hangeland, you would say "we could do better" as, I think we'll agree, he's not the best defender in the world?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here