Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland offer

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought he played in the U21s game at the Amex last season against Denmark ?

If it was him not a set the crowd alight type player but you never know.
£3m is about Bridcutt's worth so Wickham for Buckley is effectively a swap deal. I know they play different positions, but is Wickham better than Buckley. I don't really know enough about Wickham to make an informed opinion but a fit Buckley is a handful.

mmmm....not sure about this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would that not rule him out though? Or are you allowed to buy someone who is on loan at another club? Seems a bit unfair if you can.

You can buy loaned players in the January window. QPR tried to buy Bridge from Man City last January.

theboybilly

The thing with Wickham is he's never seemed settled at any club for whatever reason. He was always being touted for better things at Ipswich but even when he's moved on there's always seemed to be a loan to yet another club in the offing. A bit of stability might do him the world of good. I'd snap Sunderland's hands off. But I can't see it being the deal suggested. A straight swap for Bridcutt and Buckley sounds more likely to me.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Whilst Buckley is undoubtably a good player, if I was a manager I'd look at his fitness record and walk away. He currently can't seem to string more than 2 games in a row together for us, what makes any other manager think he'll be able to do any different for them?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Austria - course it was silly me

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Wickham was a revelation in this division and looked a youngster with a big future. I thought Sunderland paid 10 million for him, so this would be fantastic business for us. I have to say I am sceptical though.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
IF that's true I'd take it. Bridcutt clearly wants out and Buckley (as much as I like him) is injury prone and often inconsistent, a real shame given his undoubted talent.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I see there is speculation on the Sunderland forum that we have asked for £4m plus Wickham - just for Bridcutt, with no mention of Buckley. That seems a tad optimistic from our point of view, but could be our counter offer.

Interesting that they see Bridcutt as being Gus's no.1 target and being their pivotal signing in this transfer window. That's placing huge expectation on Liam, especially as he won't be match fit, let alone ready to hit the ground running in a Prem dogfight. I guess Liam should be better defensively than Cattermole and less likely to get silly red cards but not sure he has the forward passing skills they are hoping for.

A couple of weeks ago I didn't want Bridcutt to leave but now it feels right to cash in on him and move on.

I'm curious about Wickham - has never quite delivered on a consistent basis, and not sure he is what we need. Can Oscar turn him into the real deal? But then I suppose the same could be said for Buckley. Ideally I'd like to hang onto Buckley, get him fit and find some decent form but somehow I'm not confident he will achieve that, especially with such fragile hamstrings.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Connor Wickham on 25k a week? Can't see us matching those wages.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Considering Sunderland paid £8m for Wickham this would be an astonishing deal if true. Perhaps we should offer to pay for Liam's flight to Wearside!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Exactly....and just to warm the bench? Wheres he going to play if Ulloa is our main striker..wide left? Starred when he started out for Ipswich..struggled at Sunderland...seems to hav hit some form during his current loan spell with SW...but those wages? All rumours isn't it at the mo..

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
£3m is about Bridcutt's worth so Wickham for Buckley is effectively a swap deal. I know they play different positions, but is Wickham better than Buckley. I don't really know enough about Wickham to make an informed opinion but a fit Buckley is a handful.

mmmm....not sure about this.

Wickham is definately better than half a Buckley which is what we seem to get these days. Having said that i have just checked his appearance record on wiki and it is pretty good over the last three years. Has he really made 19 appearances this season???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

We wont have to , no-one is going to pay him that sort of wedge in this division apart from QPR and Forest. Sunderland don't want him , he has to re-evaluate.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wickham is definately better than half a Buckley which is what we seem to get these days. Having said that i have just checked his appearance record on wiki and it is pretty good over the last three years. Has he really made 19 appearances this season???
Buckley's hamstring problems have been blamed on him still growing and the differences between the training ground surfaces and the Amex pitch. You'd hope the growing problems will sort themselves out naturally and the new training ground should solve the Amex problem.

He's one to keep hold of in my opinion, when he's good he's PL class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here