Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whose your money on to win the World cup this summer?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Im going for Argentina with an outside bet on Belgium. Messi and Aguero looks too dangerous to stop

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Belgium have some fabulous players but I wonder if this is a tournament too early for them all. Good teams tend to build up over a few years, and if they could make the semi finals this time out, it would leave them in a great place for Euro 2016. They've been nowhere really since the mid 1980s & it's a big mental jump to go from barely qualifying to potential winners, no matter how good they are.

That and no European team has ever won the World Cup on South American soil I think?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
England, we're going to piss it.

Win all group games by at least 3 goals, then 5-0 in each of the knock out rounds before thumping Brazil 7-0 in their own back yard in the final.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
England, we're going to piss it.

Win all group games by at least 3 goals, then 5-0 in each of the knock out rounds before thumping Brazil 7-0 in their own back yard in the final.

we wont get out the group

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Im going for Argentina with an outside bet on Belgium. Messi and Aguero looks too dangerous to stop

Same as you. Argentina look clear favourites to me.

Begium to reach the semis, might be decent. See what the odds are when all the COUPONS come out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brazil. The home crowd will be a huge advantage. Argentina probably won't get a moment's kip.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely Argentina or Brazil.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't see beyond that perennial HOTBED of football, QATAR.

But if for some unexplainable reason they didn't make Brazil, then I'll go for the hosts or Argentina, with the other semi finalists being made up of two from Uruguay, Spain and Belgium.

When was the last time we qualified for a WC and failed to get out of the group stages? I think we will see that this year. Uruguay and Italy will go through at our expense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Belgium won't do as well as some are predicting. Plenty of good players, but ZERO experience in a World Cup. They'll get done by someone wily like Italy or Uruguay in the first knockout stage.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Outside of the obvious countries, I think Uruguay might do OK with another unfashionable South American country to surprise a few with a decent run.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely all Albion fans will be backing Uruguay once England are dumped out? No doubt Gus will enthuse about his homeland as a tv pundit. Hope he doesn't get sacked whilst on air though :smile:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Thinking of a few quid on both Chilie and Belgium each way bets.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I do enjoy that people, all of a sudden have sat up and noticed Belgium. So many people have called them "Dark Horses" that they couldn't be less so.

For what it's worth I don't think Belgium have a hope in hell when you actually look at their squad in the context of the opposition squads.

My tip? Germany to go to South America and break the non-european winners run.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
COLOMBIA

They've got a good group and recently impressively dispatched of Belgium in their own backyard. Not sure of all the hype towards Belgium, they were tipped sometime back as dark horses but they're now one of the fave's, I wonder how they'll cope in South America and in their first major tournament for many years. In any case I think all of the European countires may struggle to adapt to South American conditions.

I like Colombia's group and the one they're paired with at the first knockout round, from there they could easily do a Uruguay and with some momentum they could go far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ridiculous for Belgium to be considered anywhere near faves. I know Crodo is a WUM but some people have ACTUALLY been talking about them as one of the "faves". They definitely aren't.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Off the top of my head

Neuer
Hummels
Mertesacker
Boateng
Lahm
Ozil
Schweinsteiger
Podolski