Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Direct free-kick in the penalty area

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Watching Luis Suarez at the weekend against Villa, it occurred to me regardless of if there was contact or not, if he had stayed up what was the best he could have hoped for, he wouldn't have been getting a shot on goal as he was going wide, so would it have deserved a penalty?

Same for some hand-balls, if the ball isn't going towards the goal why do they deserve a 80%+ chance of scoring from the spot, no-one can guarantee that if an attacking player does get on the end of the cross, it will result in a goal.

Should the referee be able to make a "goal-scoring" opportunity call and award a direct free-kick from the spot where the offence occurred in the area rather than giving a penalty?

Would this help reduce diving in the area if the player thought they were not going to get a penalty anyway?

Just a thought.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a lot of questions there. What I would say is that free-kicks inside the penalty area are a rarity but there's few more exciting scenarios than 10 men on the line and two men standing over the ball 10 yards away. In a perfect world there would be more free-kicks in the area, but the simple fact is refs HATE giving free-kicks in the area.

I can see that this would be a good solution for where defenders are all over attackers at corners, impeding them, shirt-pulling etc. Often the ref gives nothing because a penalty is deemed too harsh, so this half-way house is worthy of consideration. Effectively, defenders get away with murder, depriving fans of goals and excitement.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
But a penalty is a direct free kick inside the box.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Bearing in mind a referee at the Amex couldn't even bring himself to conclude that Will Buckley was heading towards goal when he headed to the North Stand and a (Burnley?) keeper brought him down with no other defenders in sight, I fail to see how we could ever expect them to consistently apply the sort of judgement call you're suggesting within the penalty area.

Mind you, our great mate Hoops would probably be all in favour. Should provide Bournemouth with ever more opportunities.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here