Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin TiVo boxes

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Has anyone else got one of these and if so, does it randomly keep resetting itself?

It's a pain as you can be half way through a programme and the fecking thing cuts out for about 5 minutes!

There seems to be varying reports on the virgin message boards of causes and what virgin should be doing

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have one and never had that problem. In fact, touch wood, it has been fantastic.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We had a problem with ours which got progressively worse, phones them up and the man came out and replaced it very quickly. All fine now. He said quite a few boxes had struggled with a recent update or something so it may be you have the same problem.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Relatively new to Virgin, but all seems fine with our system.

Part of the lure from Sky was the fact that any faulty equipment would be replace FOC, regardless of its age (Murdoch's men wanted up to £250 each for two temperamental boxes), so I would give them a ring and get it sorted.

Aug 21, 2011
Relatively new to Virgin, but all seems fine with our system.

Part of the lure from Sky was the fact that any faulty equipment would be replace FOC, regardless of its age (Murdoch's men wanted up to £250 each for two temperamental boxes), so I would give them a ring and get it sorted.

Can I ask how you find Virgin compared to Sky, I currently have everything with them, TV (Sky sports no movies), Broadband (not fibre) and phone. Phoned them 2 weeks ago to see if I could blag a cheaper a package as I currently pay £87 PM and they basicly showed me the finger, so I said I wanted to cancel.

I am now in my 30 day cancellation period and have looked at other providers but have come to the conclusion that in terms of their TV package sky is better than Virgin ( like Sky Atlantic and F1 channel), but I am P'd off with there attitude, so as much as I am tempted to call them up and change my mind about cancelling I feel I should move out of principle.

How do you find they compare?? Any thoughts appreciated.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can I ask how you find Virgin compared to Sky, I currently have everything with them, TV (Sky sports no movies), Broadband (not fibre) and phone. Phoned them 2 weeks ago to see if I could blag a cheaper a package as I currently pay £87 PM and they basicly showed me the finger, so I said I wanted to cancel.

I am now in my 30 day cancellation period and have looked at other providers but have come to the conclusion that in terms of their TV package sky is better than Virgin ( like Sky Atlantic and F1 channel), but I am P'd off with there attitude, so as much as I am tempted to call them up and change my mind about cancelling I feel I should move out of principle.

I moved from Sky to Virgin because I got fed up arguing about call out fees when things went wrong.

I missed Sky Atlantic for a while but that was the only downside. I've had to report faults twice with Virgin - one a fault box and another slow internet speeds. They replaced the box the next day and ran new fibre for the slow internet the following week. I now have blistering fast internet and have fallen in love with my TiVO box which is made even better now they've added Netflix. I doubt I'll ever even consider going back to Sky.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just phoned them and they told me that you need to reboot them every four days as they keep throwing updates down the line.

Anyway, they rebooted the thing remotely and it looks ok at the moment.

On another point my broadband keeps losing internet connectivity and they are coming up again as seemly the router keeps resetting itself..it's the second one we have had. Working from home is a mare whe the internet keeps dropping!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

I can guarantee that their cancellations department will phone you before your 30 day notice period lapses. They will ask why you are leaving and be trueful and firm and tell them what you think. You will almost certainly get offered a big discount on your current package for at least six months ( maybe longer ). This should compensate you for the short term as they do not like losing customers.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just phoned them and they told me that you need to reboot them every four days as they keep throwing updates down the line.

Anyway, they rebooted the thing remotely and it looks ok at the moment.

On another point my broadband keeps losing internet connectivity and they are coming up again as seemly the router keeps resetting itself..it's the second one we have had. Working from home is a mare whe the internet keeps dropping!

I think mine has restarted once or twice in 2.5 years. If it is the router resetting rather than an issue with WiFi, then push them to get everything checked out.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Price-wise it works out pretty much the same, I think, but the catch-up TV and broadband are much better with Virgin, in my experience. The on-screen menu is a little confusing, and takes some getting used to, but other than that I'm pretty happy with what we've got now. There was no way I was shelling out hundreds of pounds for new boxes - I think all these companies expect customers to shop around after their contract is up to find the best deal, but in reality, many don't bother.

Jul 7, 2003
I moved from Sky to Virgin in September. I'd had broadband from NTL/VM for many years without a problem and wanted to put everything together. Negotiated a deal I was happy with so moved over. There are a few less HD channels than Sky although these are mainly in the less popular channels. Red button services all seem to work and Virgin have the advanced BBC red button service which is good for catch up but not if you like text. Despite checking the alignment we used to suffer with picture break up on Sky which isn't an issue with Virgin.

Sky will tell you that the Virgin HD is not as good quality as theirs but to my eyes, it seems just as good if not better. They also tried to tell me how award winning their service was which made me laugh given how long I had waited to speak to someone!

Tivo is different to Sky+ and takes a bit of getting used to but generally is just as good.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
Has anyone else got one of these and if so, does it randomly keep resetting itself?

It's a pain as you can be half way through a programme and the fecking thing cuts out for about 5 minutes!

There seems to be varying reports on the virgin message boards of causes and what virgin should be doing

We used to have this problem often, but now just switch it off at plug every night, only problem now is it takes a min or two to start up when req again.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
No problem with my TiVo that couldn't be fixed over phone and - touch wood - quality of pics and broadband speed is fine. Only tip I was told by chap who replaced my old (Telewest vintage) cable modem was to keep my existing WiFi router and use virgins new combined cable media/router as a modem only. Plenty on their user forums say same thing!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have the latest non-HD box from Virgin. Works fine. Been a bit of a jumpy picture over the last few days occasionally, but have put this down to some area problems they might be having, which they will sort.

The older box version eventually went wrong with old age. It took many visits by Virgin engineers before they believed us, and replaced that faulty box.

What sort of monthly prices are being paid?

With no broadband, and no phone, our TV package is
All channels including SkySports, but not SkyMovies - with a non-HD box

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We pay around £120 a month for everything, VIP package , phone! broadband one TIVO and one set top box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here