Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs on the motorway??

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why is it stupid? They have pubs on other roads.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great for lorry drivers forced to spend hours at these places.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Motorway service stations in France sell wine and beer....

Do you not think that the driver should be responsible enough to not drink? One thing that they should clearly NOT do and that is serve anyone that is already drunk! Most pubs seem to ignore that law.

Could be entertaining on away games after a match on the way home and bump into rival fans in the pub on the motorway though!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Sounds good to me, I don't drive so am always a passenger, it would be nice to have a couple of pints during long journeys (providing I make sure to visit the little boys room prior to departure).

Like has already been said, they have pubs on other roads believe it or not. It's hardly encouraging people to drink and drive is it?
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

motorway service stations in france sell wine and beer....

Do you not think that the driver should be responsible enough to not drink? One thing that they should clearly not do and that is serve anyone that is already drunk! Most pubs seem to ignore that law.

Could be entertaining on away games after a match on the way home and bump into rival fans in the pub on the motorway though!
can see football coaches getting banned from this service station???

Motorway service stations in France sell wine and beer....

Do you not think that the driver should be responsible enough to not drink? One thing that they should clearly NOT do and that is serve anyone that is already drunk! Most pubs seem to ignore that law.

Yes they do, however when ordering you are asked if you are the driver and if yes they refuse to sell it to you, at least that was the case a few years back when I drove to the South of France.

throwing this out there as a point of view but I am a responsible adult.. therefore i know that drinking and driving is wrong..... just because i drive past a pub doesnt mean i'm gonna go get drunk and likewise if i go into a pub and i'm driving i'm quite capable of ordering a lemonade...

i for one if doing a long motorway journey would much rather stop at a services and go into a weatherspoons and have a nice reasonable quality fairly priced meal with a lemonade (there's that responsible adult bit kicking in you see) than a shitty mcdonalds, burger king or kfc or soggy waitrose sandwiches as seems to be your option at 99% of other motorway services if you're in need of nourishment....

the driver can have a softdrink, the passengers can have a drink everyone can have a nice meal what's there to complain about... the people who are going to drink drive are the same people that already drink drive anyway and this being here makes them no more / less likely to do it if you ask me, any sane adult can order a softdrink when driving...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yes they do, however when ordering you are asked if you are the driver and if yes they refuse to sell it to you, at least that was the case a few years back when I drove to the South of France.

Not in the one I went in and had a nice red wine with my meal. There's no problem with them doing this as far as I am concerned but if someone can drink and drive I am sure they will not have any qualms about lying to that question.

Isn't there cars out now that have a breathalyser built in and the engine won't start unless it is clear?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm sure there was a bar at one of the services back in the 70's. Not sure this is new.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't really see a problem with it. There won't be the carnage scaremongers are predicting. Having said that, I cannot really see the point of it. When I stop at services I try and get in and out as quick as I can, quick piss, coffee and maybe a bite to eat sometimes. I frankly, couldn't imagine anything more depressing than sitting and drinking in a Wetherspoons on the side of a motorway.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Every time I've traveled in mini buses or cars to footy we always stock up on beers for the journey and on the way back we've stopped of to refuel the dwindling stocks so can't see what the problem is. If I'm a lone driver travelling on the motorway I'm not going to stop because there is a pub. This Emmon holmes is a bellend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here