Biggest squad in Europe ???

Kerching ! Keep spending Jestermen :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not PLR

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's a pretty stupid article, of course a promoted team is going to have used more players over the last two seasons than others. That stands for reason as you need to drop the Chmpionship squad players for some players that will fit the Premier League.

If I'm right Palace are due to or have announced a profit this year (as they did the year they were promoted due to the sale of Zaha), they are an example of spending prudently (although probably over spent on Gayle) and could be staying up under the miracle workings of Pulis.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Does that squad include players that Worzel forgot to register in time for the start of the season?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
That's a pretty stupid article, of course a promoted team is going to have used more players over the last two seasons than others. That stands for reason as you need to drop the Chmpionship squad players for some players that will fit the Premier League.

If I'm right Palace are due to or have announced a profit this year (as they did the year they were promoted due to the sale of Zaha), they are an example of spending prudently (although probably over spent on Gayle) and could be staying up under the miracle workings of Pulis.

I think thats about right and very honest of you. Palace also have the lowest wage bill in the prem and also paid the least to agents.

The squad includes quite a few youngsters that are still in the acadamy and knowwhere near the first team.

4 players have left this tranfer window and I would have thought a few more will be sold / loaned.

And yes Palace turned in a small but welcome profit for the year ending June 2013 of £3.5 mill. And expect about the same next year, (so I have heard?)

Anyway its nice to see Palace be the top of something!!.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Biggest squad does not mean biggest wage bill though does it? I would confidently bet Palace's will be the lowest in the division.

Also, a team which comes up via the play offs is likely to have a big turnaround of players in preparation for the following season. Stands to reason then that they will have used more players across two seasons than clubs who spend both seasons in the same division.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
if we go up this year via the playoff final I lay any odds we have a very substantial turnover of players as we would never have a chance of survival with our current squad. Definitely nothing for us to be critical of Palace in this story....if anything I reckon wed need an even bigger influx then they had this year!....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
if we go up this year via the playoff final I lay any odds we have a very substantial turnover of players as we would never have a chance of survival with our current squad. Definitely nothing for us to be critical of Palace in this story....if anything I reckon wed need an even bigger influx then they had this year!....

I would like to think we'll be going for quality rather than quantity.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Agreed: The OUT door would be very busy.

Dec 3, 2012
I would like to think we'll be going for quality rather than quantity.

You would hope so but promoted clubs don't get the pick of quality footballers unless they pay big money especially in wages. This is v risky if you get relegated as you can get stuck with players who are on silly money and don't want to play in the Championship. This has caught Palace out before but they seem to have learnt the lesson now.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Us Or you ? Some good replies on here and bearing in mind we have the lowest wage bill in the league I'm not too bothered . Some are youngsters and some will move on , so a nothing story really .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You would hope so but promoted clubs don't get the pick of quality footballers unless they pay big money especially in wages. This is v risky if you get relegated as you can get stuck with players who are on silly money and don't want to play in the Championship. This has caught Palace out before but they seem to have learnt the lesson now.

A good post. A example of how we're doing it is the deal we got Chamakh for . Apparently we are paying a third of his arsenal salary with the arse paying the rest . A great bit of business as he has been superb for us after my initial reservations .

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The only embarrassing thing for Palace was that they signed players like Dobbie and the French guy, who's name escapes me, and couldn't fit them into their 25 man squad. That hinted a lot at random panic buying from Holloway and the Board, and no real plan. However Holloway is no longer there and they seem to be correcting the squad numbers this month. Signing players like Chamakh on one year deals is good business sense too.

What did surprise me the other day was Palace being bottom of all the Premier League clubs for using players from their Academy this season.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
T

What did surprise me the other day was Palace being bottom of all the Premier League clubs for using players from their Academy this season.

Yes that is quite sad, but the present crop are a bit young and I would presume that a lot of the more established prem sides have had theres on loan first therefore having more experence.

But in saying all that part of being a fan of clubs like Palace and Brighton is seeing youth players coming through and in the prem I miss that TBH.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes that is quite sad, but the present crop are a bit young and I would presume that a lot of the more established prem sides have had theres on loan first therefore having more experence.

But in saying all that part of being a fan of clubs like Palace and Brighton is seeing youth players coming through and in the prem I miss that TBH.

Can you tell that to Tony W on the other thread?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Palace outstripping Chievo and Ajaccio!!! What the hell is football coming to? I've always said that the day Palace outstrip Chievo would be the day that I throw in my lot with the modern game. Absolutely unbelievable!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

What has happened with Williams this season? Big fan of his, but doesn't seem to have made any impact that I've noticed. I don't really watch MOTD though so may have missed something. Still plagued with injury troubles?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here