Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton shirts - plain v striped

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just being reminded having gone through the Wisbech / Southend thread, we changed our shirts in 1964 from blue and white stripes to blue torso/white sleeves. This remained in place until 1970. Then in the early 80s we had a variety of mostly plain blue shirts.

Does anyone recall from either the 1960s or the 1980s what the thinking was from the club behind the move away from such tradition?

Greed? Ignorance of our history? Apathy of our history?

Just curious, like.

Similarly, would anyone like to see a return to the plain blue shirts, or are the stripes sacrosanct?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The early 80s co-incided with our first sponsorship, I always assumed it was related to being able to see the "British Caledonian" on the front more clearly.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The good old days when you could see the numbers on their backs.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A lot probably depends upon when people first became aware of the Albion. For me, it was a time when we wore plain blue shirts, shorts and socks so it doesn't feel odd in any way. I would like to see some variation. It's all part of our history to occasionally experiment and eventually return to blue and white stripes. I wouldn't like us to be like Coventry where it's not clear whether sky blue (or blue and white stripes) is their standard look.

If we were to experiment, I'd like an Ajax style kit with blue instead of red, or something like the Ipswich Town kit of 1981-84 with pinstripes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't recall any great fuss being made in '64.
Times change I guess and it was a smart strip at the time. Remember a little later we had white with blue trim and similarly no noise from fans that I remember.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The early 80s co-incided with our first sponsorship, I always assumed it was related to being able to see the "British Caledonian" on the front more clearly.

I think you're right.

Were there any adidas striped shirts at the time? I can't recall.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The odd thing is that Sheffield Wednesday did the same thing at the same time (well, 1965-72) - blue & white stripes > blue torso, white sleeves.

SheffieldWednesday1968_599x480.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't recall any great fuss being made in '64.
Times change I guess and it was a smart strip at the time. Remember a little later we had white with blue trim and similarly no noise from fans that I remember.

I remember reading that it was strongly recommended by fans to Pat Saward to return to blue and white stripes in that time in the early 1970s the club was trying to build stronger links with supporters.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I don't remember any specific reason given. Certainly not greed as you couldn't buy replica shirts in those days. I do remember constant moaning and campaigns to bring back stripes.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The all white kit we wore in the early 70's was class and the first kit I ever had

How did you acquire it? Or was it home made with the club letters stitched on?

astonvilla.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone is favour of an Albion version of the Newcastle barcode kit?

Newcastle-90-HomeSP.gif

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Hated the all-blue (well, actually it had very thin white pinstripes) early 80s kit, not least because it was just a really dull strip. Great shame they didn't wear the blue and white stripes at Wembley for the Cup Final. Should always wear proper stripes in my opinion.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would actually be a fan of not having the stripes for a season or two. It makes them feel more special when they do return - like when we returned to 'proper blue' after out light blue effort of 2004-06.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The kit I most liked, that said, we are brighton, is the old late 70s bucket a blue and white stripe kit. No kit has ever come close for me. That was our identity IMO.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There was little to complain about in 1964/65. We played some great football.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would hate to lose the stripes

watching Southampton this season without there stripes just isnt right either.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here