Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to cut the premier league free?

With the huge gap in financial reward between the prem and the championship would it make more sense to scrap relegation/promotion this would bring sanity to the pressure of gambling on the big financial prize.It would give managers and clubs more stability and financial dealings would settle to a realistic levels in each league.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
To a certain extent Rev, I agree. The so called Promised Land does seem to have an ever widening gap between itself and the league below. I would most certainly not want to be in a position like Crystal Palshite having spent a large amount of money on players between seasons, only to find themselves fighting relegation and having lost £7m in the same year.

Without radical change the gap will just keep getting bigger.

With the huge gap in financial reward between the prem and the championship would it make more sense to scrap relegation/promotion this would bring sanity to the pressure of gambling on the big financial prize.It would give managers and clubs more stability and financial dealings would settle to a realistic levels in each league.

Well I thought it was a sensible question.

No is my immediate response as it gives the Championship Clubs something to aspire to, if only one season getting hammered and then relegated. Sadly to make it "fair", even with the introduction of FFP is something I don't think we will ever see. A start would be one body representing the game but how likely is it that the FA, League and Premier would ever agree to this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

No.

A better solution is to scrap parachute payments and the reward for failure. This would mean teams in the PL would have to bank some cash, rather than spend it all, and the financial gap between the leagues would decrease.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's the dream of promotion,why should the Championship clubs have nothing to aim for.
The Premiership clubs would have no worries about finishing bottom of their league and for year after year they will plod on knowing that they are safe....that takes half the game away for a start.
What would be the point of Championship clubs finishing first...if one team did it every season all there would be is your name on a cup and a few quid in their pockets...knowing full well that teams at the bottom will start equal with them next season. Nah! would never work.
It's not broke...don't fix it!

Maybe the parachute payments should be looked at though.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
No.

A better solution is to scrap parachute payments and the reward for failure. This would mean teams in the PL would have to bank some cash, rather than spend it all, and the financial gap between the leagues would decrease.

Parachute payments for clubs relegated from the Premier League do seem unfair on the other clubs in the Championship. However, if they were scrapped, the Premier League would be even more divided between the 6 or 7 bigger clubs and all the rest.
My take on it is that parachute payments are an attempt by the Premier League to make it as much of a closed shop as they can.

It's the dream of promotion,why should the Championship clubs have nothing to aim for.
The Premiership clubs would have no worries about finishing bottom of their league and for year after year they will plod on knowing that they are safe....that takes half the game away for a start.
What would be the point of Championship clubs finishing first...if one team did it every season all there would be is your name on a cup and a few quid in their pockets...knowing full well that teams at the bottom will start equal with them next season. Nah! would never work.
It's not broke...don't fix it!

Maybe the parachute payments should be looked at though.

Championship clubs could aspire to winning the championship,what is there to aspire to in the prem? survival! Would the europa league be better placed for the top 4 in the championship,the prem don't want it. Mr bloom will be under pressure to compete with the wreckless clubs in this division and 8 million loss is enough for anyone surely. Scrap promotion,cut wages and ticket prices.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Reverting to leagues one to four would be better.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
No.

Give the money to grassroots football improve facilities and coaching that would help us compete at the right level in the future.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Removing relegation from the Prem would be a huge problem.

Very easy money to be made for a speculative owner, if the golden goose cannot be killed.

Buy a stuggling Prem club for £100m, release all the players, sign a league one squad on peanuts, lose every game for the next ten seasons, whilst still TROUSERING the £80m per season TV cash. Sorted.

Removing relegation from the Prem would be a huge problem.

Very easy money to be made for a speculative owner, if the golden goose cannot be killed.

Buy a stuggling Prem club for £100m, release all the players, sign a league one squad on peanuts, lose every game for the next ten seasons, whilst still TROUSERING the £80m per season TV cash. Sorted.

I think sky might want a say in paying good money to be ripped off,the tv spectacle must still be good or the goose gets knocked off!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Look at the top seven of the Premier League, whilst you may not have predicted the order everyone would have picked the same teams. It's boring it's predictable so you may as well cut the Premier League to ten teams and let the dominant power houses battle it out for supremacy and overseas market shares and let the rest get on with it.

The Championship and football league are tremendous leagues well attended and where the outcomes are anyone's guess. Extend the football league to 88 clubs and have four divisions of 22 teams each. Winning the Championship then becomes the ultimate without promotion and it would almost guarantee a great title race.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I genuinely don't see it happening. You NEED relegation or the league would stagnate very quickly.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
An alternative option would be to allow just one team to go up and for only one team to get relegated from the Premier League every season - like they used to do with the Football League/Conference. Would make both divisions dead boring though - most teams in the Championship would have nothing to play for after Christmas.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd stop watching us if they cut off the top division and we wern't in it at the time.

Yes I enjoy the day out, yes I enjoy the football itself, but I go because it's competetive sport. Even if we were in League 2 I'd have the same view, let alone one step away from the Prem.

I cheer a goal because it gets us closer to a win. A win gets us more points and closer to promotion.

The whole POINT is to try and achieve the maximum you can. For that reason I literally couldn't enjoy the matches if, ultimately, we could never get to the top.

It's the exact same viewpoint as when someone says the ridiculous notion of "I don't want us to get to the prem". Why bother watching then? Surely every time we score a goal you're disappointed as thats getting us one step closer to what you don't want?

Perhaps I'm alone in that view.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Reverting to leagues one to four would be better.

I go along with this in the sense that the only sensible approach I can see is for the PL and FL to merge and a much fairer distribution of the TV money is made across all four divisions. Trouble is it will never happen for obvious reasons or unless the TV companies see how they've ****ed up football and build a better distribution into their bids ... equally unlikely

Best possibility for clubs like ours might be a Premiership B but that's equally unlikely

On that basis the gap between the have's and have nots will continue to grow and I can see L1 and L2 turning semi pro at some point

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Its not a question of relegation, thats the exciting part of the premiership!!

Maybe let the top 3 or 4 piss off into some euro top league, how can 12 or more sides compete with the top 4 its impossible...Man city have scored over 103 goals by January FFS!! while there are 10 clubs that havn't scored 25 yet..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here