Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Forest taking the Pis#???

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They should change their nickname to The Benchwarmers. Nottingham much chance of half of the squad getting on the pitch Forest of the season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sorry - but why are we being punished? I really think people need a massive reality check. I do not want Tony Bloom to spend our way to the Premiership. Less than 20 years ago we were facing the real idea that we may not have a ground to play in, and were extremely close to going out of the league.

Now we have what I believe is a sustainable football club with all the infrastructure needed to ensure that this club remains successful for the foreseeable future. So it's not likely that we'll make the Premier League this year, is that really actually being punished? Or do we have a club that can play football when all around you sides have waterlogged pitches, idiots on £75k a week who can't be bothered to play football because they have no incentive, stands that are crumbling and unsafe, toilets which don't work.... the list can go on.

Be happy you have a club who doesn't want to flout the rules, and still able to play attractive football. Rome wasn't built overnight.

Sensible post. Like others, I get the feeling FFP simply won't work and the punishments will not be adequate for the teams that overspend, but irrespective of this I don't want the club to go down the Pompey route. In the long-term, having a sustainable football club can only benefit us.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sorry - but why are we being punished? I really think people need a massive reality check. I do not want Tony Bloom to spend our way to the Premiership. Less than 20 years ago we were facing the real idea that we may not have a ground to play in, and were extremely close to going out of the league.

Now we have what I believe is a sustainable football club with all the infrastructure needed to ensure that this club remains successful for the foreseeable future. So it's not likely that we'll make the Premier League this year, is that really actually being punished? Or do we have a club that can play football when all around you sides have waterlogged pitches, idiots on £75k a week who can't be bothered to play football because they have no incentive, stands that are crumbling and unsafe, toilets which don't work.... the list can go on.

Be happy you have a club who doesn't want to flout the rules, and still able to play attractive football. Rome wasn't built overnight.

But we're not sustainable, we're losing £8m a year (and more this year according to rumours).

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Really think we will get taken for a ride with FFP - whist we try and spend within our means and others so clearly don't.

The FL will be spineless and clubs will get away with it with no consequences leaving us to look rather silly.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sensible post. Like others, I get the feeling FFP simply won't work and the punishments will not be adequate for the teams that overspend, but irrespective of this I don't want the club to go down the Pompey route. In the long-term, having a sustainable football club can only benefit us.

Pompey is an extreme example I think. As I understand it, it was poor due diligence at the time of change of ownership and an "investor" who mortgaged the clubs assets as well as borrowing against the club to fund it's excesses. Many other clubs have generous/benevolent owners that will fund the expansion of the club but not put it at such considerable risk. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that owners investing in a short/medium term push for success is sustainable all the time they have the capability to do so.

The fact that TB doesn't go down this route is admirable but doesn't make our club any more financially secure than many that do.

But we're not sustainable, we're losing £8m a year (and more this year according to rumours).

Agree, although it is sustainable all the time TB can, and wants to, fund the losses, otherwise even a small loss isn't sustainable if it can't be covered.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really think we will get taken for a ride with FFP - whist we try and spend within our means and others so clearly don't.

The FL will be spineless and clubs will get away with it with no consequences leaving us to look rather silly.

Looking at the big picture, regardless of how much other Championship clubs are spending, it pales into insignificance when you consider how much TB has thrown at the Albion. I am very grateful for what has happened in the last 4 years. It's is quite demanding for us to expect to now match the Forests and QPRs of this world. We have been blessed and have a ground that is probably the envy off 99% of the football league, and the squad we have is not far off what is required. We just need to trust and be patient, we will get to the Premier League soon enough imo.

Having said all that, this transfer window at present, is proving to be incredibly frustrating.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Looking at the big picture, regardless of how much other Championship clubs are spending, it pales into insignificance when you consider how much TB has thrown at the Albion. I am just grateful for what has happened in the last 4 years. It's possibly a bit demanding to expect us to now match the Forests and QPRs of this world. We have been blessed and have a ground that is probably the envy off 99% of the football league, and the squad we have is not far off what is required imo. We just need to trust and be patient, we will get to the Premier League soon enough imo.

Agreed, it will happen sometime in the next few years.

theboybilly

Leicester, Nottingham Forest and QPR. At the moment they are 'bigger' clubs than us purely on their histories of top-flight appearances in the past and in Forest's case domestic and European success in the late 70s/early 80s. In the here and now though I think the gap is narrowing. Brighton has huge potential in that it has a stadium, crowds and catchment area that dwarfs QPR and rivals the other two easily. I think TB sees this but is willing to let the Albion progress without endangering it's future. I also think that if the Premiership came the local interest would soar and that we'd be a top 12 club in revenue if not actually on the pitch. Albion seem to be doing it the right way and not overstretching themselves. The other three clubs seem desperate for top-flight football because I think they may feel it may be now or never because you're never quite sure what clubs may come down next year..

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes, there will be loopholes and some clubs will find them and abuse them but then they will get tightened up and improved.

I agree with that but I also think once that's done there could be a legal challenge to the whole thing. I'm as far from an expert as you'll find but it looks like restrictive practice to me

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How can people say FFP does not work when it has not been fully implemented yet? We will only find out if it works or is having an effect on clubs spending around this time next year and maybe the beginning of the season after that. Yes, there will be loopholes and some clubs will find them and abuse them but then they will get tightened up and improved.

Absolutely this. Also there seems to be a belief amongst some in here that we're the only club in the league trying to conform to the FFP loss limits. From what I read, it seems that the majority of clubs are trying to meet the targets, even Leicester have cut back their spending. In that sense FFP is already working to an extent.

Forest Visitor

Mar 27, 2013
Hi folks

Took obvious interest in this thread and many reasonable points made. None of us really know how FFP will be implemented and I think everyone agrees that no clubs should gamble their future and take on unsustainable debt however if a clubs owner wants to inject his own money into a club rather via sponsorship or direct funding rather than loans taken out against the clubs name why shouldn't they?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Looking at the big picture, regardless of how much other Championship clubs are spending, it pales into insignificance when you consider how much TB has thrown at the Albion. I am very grateful for what has happened in the last 4 years. It's is quite demanding for us to expect to now match the Forests and QPRs of this world. We have been blessed and have a ground that is probably the envy off 99% of the football league, and the squad we have is not far off what is required. We just need to trust and be patient, we will get to the Premier League soon enough imo.

Having said all that, this transfer window at present, is proving to be incredibly frustrating.

Wise words :)

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Forest's willingness to splash the cash and thus blatantly flout FFP rules is a MASSIVE GAMBLE. There is no guarantee this will ensure promotion to the Premier League. In fact both Leicester and QPR look more likely candidates for automatic promotion and the play-offs...and that's another toss of the dice isn't it?

Make no mistake, the owners of Nottingham Forest are expecting a generous return on their investment and if they don't get promoted, expect a huge backlash at the City Ground. Remember, despite their vast wealth, the owners are businessmen with a business model. If the model breaks there will be repercussions.

I'd rather we stay in control of our finances and hopefully one day enjoy the riches of the Premier League. In the meantime I'll enjoy the football in a cracking new stadium. After all, following a football club is about the football isn't it (?) win or lose....it's almost like clubs don't exsist or have any credibility outside the Premier League. You are desperate to watch Premier League football NOW? Hey, go to Chelsea or worse still, PALACE!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Forest's willingness to splash the cash and thus blatantly flout FFP rules is a MASSIVE GAMBLE. There is no guarantee this will ensure promotion to the Premier League. In fact both Leicester and QPR look more likely candidates for automatic promotion and the play-offs...and that's another toss of the dice isn't it?

Make no mistake, the owners of Nottingham Forest are expecting a generous return on their investment and if they don't get promoted, expect a huge backlash at the City Ground. Remember, despite their vast wealth, the owners are businessmen with a business model. If the model breaks there will be repercussions.

I'd rather we stay in control of our finances and hopefully one day enjoy the riches of the Premier League. In the meantime I'll enjoy the football in a cracking new stadium. After all, following a football club is about the football isn't it (?) win or lose....it's almost like clubs don't exsist or have any credibility outside the Premier League. You are desperate to watch Premier League football NOW? Hey, go to Chelsea or worse still, PALACE!!

There's no evidence that Forest's owners want a return on their investment, and if they did, why spend a fortune to get into the Premier League, which made a collective loss of £217 million in the last season for which there are published figures. If Forest's owners have the cash to splash, and can underwrite the losses, let it be so.

Owners want to get into the PL for the kudos, not the money.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Hi folks

Took obvious interest in this thread and many reasonable points made. None of us really know how FFP will be implemented and I think everyone agrees that no clubs should gamble their future and take on unsustainable debt however if a clubs owner wants to inject his own money into a club rather via sponsorship or direct funding rather than loans taken out against the clubs name why shouldn't they?

Because it is against the FFP rules they signed up to. Others clubs are abiding by the rules all the clubs agreed. Forest are just ignoring them.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Regardless of FFP, isn't the Chairman welcome to run the club as he sees fit? He would be essentially spending out of his own pocket. Whilst we do have the biggest crowds in the league and pay comparitively high ticket prices, I think we generally over estimate the amount of revenue actually earned from a match day. The differential is blown out of the water by those clubs with parachute payments.

That said - hate Billy Davies, so want ANY other club to be promoted rather than them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
9 strikers is a joke, surely only a matter of time before a few of them start getting itchy feet

Yes, this is something that always surprises me. If you're a footballer, surely you want to be playing football? Most of those strikers won't even make the bench regularly.

It shows how good AEA's attitude was: he'd be a constant benchwarmer and reasonably regular player here but that wasn't enough for him. I'd rather people like Adam who wanted to play than a bunch of players like Forest have, ones just happy to pick up a pay packet but doing nothing for it

D

Deleted member 22389

Exactly. In the future I can see the most successful clubs being the ones who have managed their finances properly. I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than some rich foreign owner coming in, who knows nothing about the club, nothing about the area pumping millions of pounds in to the club, just so he has a new toy to play with. Look at Cardiff, what is going to happen if they relegated this season? Look at Hull where the owners now want a name change, what the F**(((

You can keep your foreign owners all day long. I never want to see this at Brighton. The most valuable asset to this club is us, the supporters and building on those existing season ticket holders. We need to get rid of this mindset of Premier League or nothing, and get people who will support Brighton whatever, win or lose and support the club with pride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here