Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House/purchase advise

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Okay so as a first time buyer and having short listed two properties I am at some what of a crossroads.

The two properties in question are on the market at 235K (3 beds) and 250K (2 beds). They are both located within the same village.

Whilst the 2 bed is valued at 15K less the agent has suggested that he could comfortably get that down to 240K (possibly even slightly lower). This property has been completely re fitted throughout, however my biggest concern is where can I make money when it comes to selling. The answer would be with great difficulty. That said I could move into the property and I would not need to change a thing.

The second more inexpensive property is considerably bigger with the benefit of a third bedroom. Whilst it isn't exactly to my liking right now in terms of fittings I can see the scope to increase the valuation somewhat (and at not too great an expense). I personally believe the price is extremely competitive given the size and has possibly been undervalued. My thought process would be to hold approx 5K (10 at a push) back on my deposit for home improvements. This would initially be for a new bath, toilet and a general renovation of the bathroom, new carpets throughout and to replace the existing living room floor with a lighter coloured wood.

Should I be concerned with sell on value as much as I am? Part of me thinks I'm over complicating things the other side of me thinks I'm correct in my forward thinking.

The other concern is how much should I spend on home improvements? Surely spending 10k on the interior doesn't necessarily mean you will see that return when you come to sell up? Or does it?

Help please, my head hurts!!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Okay so as a first time buyer and having short listed two properties I am at some what of a crossroads.

The two properties in question are on the market at 235K (3 beds) and 250K (2 beds). They are both located within the same village.

Whilst the 2 bed is valued at 15K less the agent has suggested that he could comfortably get that down to 240K (possibly even slightly lower). This property has been completely re fitted throughout, however my biggest concern is where can I make money when it comes to selling. The answer would be with great difficulty. That said I could move into the property and I would not need to change a thing.

The second more inexpensive property is considerably bigger with the benefit of a third bedroom. Whilst it isn't exactly to my liking right now in terms of fittings I can see the scope to increase the valuation somewhat (and at not too great an expense). I personally believe the price is extremely competitive given the size and has possibly been undervalued. My thought process would be to hold approx 5K (10 at a push) back on my deposit for home improvements. This would initially be for a new bath, toilet and a general renovation of the bathroom, new carpets throughout and to replace the existing living room floor with a lighter coloured wood.

Should I be concerned with sell on value as much as I am? Part of me thinks I'm over complicating things the other side of me thinks I'm correct in my forward thinking.

The other concern is how much should I spend on home improvements? Surely spending 10k on the interior doesn't necessarily mean you will see that return when you come to sell up? Or does it?

Home is where the heart is ---- you haven't moved in yet but are worried about sell on values.
Enjoy your life for fecks sake----money isn't everything:)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Garden size and which way does main garden face are key selling factors, we need to know...if the cheaper one has S or W than its a deffo if N maybe not!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Home is where the heart is ---- you haven't moved in yet but are worried about sell on values.

Kind of agree with this.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Your post says the 2 bed 250K and the 3 bed is 235K. Then you say the the 2 bed is 15K less, it reads 15K more.

Depends on how long you plan on staying there.
As for the one that needs nothing doing to it, you will change all the decor eventually, so it will cost.
I'd go for the three bed on you descriptions above, because it would be more sellable in the future.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Location.

You can pretty much change anything else (kitchen, bathrooms etc) but you can't change the location.

Stand outside them both. Have a look around, which feels right?

15k either way shouldn't sway you. It's going to be your home, not just a house.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

How soon are you thinking of selling ?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
the £250k stamp duty threshold is always going to influence values around that point. People get caught up in bedroom numbers but the size is important too - is the two bedder more spacious than the 3 bed? Is it really 3 beds or 2 and a box room? any opportunity to extend or convert the loft on either property - which is the better plot?
How long are you planning on staying? moving is stressful and expensive - particularly once you're in a chain (we were meant to move on the 6th December and still waiting to exchange). Buy the property that will be most adaptable to your life over the time you are going to live there - dont get caught up in future values too much though it seems to be the national obsession

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
the £250k stamp duty threshold is always going to influence values around that point. People get caught up in bedroom numbers but the size is important too - is the two bedder more spacious than the 3 bed? Is it really 3 beds or 2 and a box room? any opportunity to extend or convert the loft on either property - which is the better plot?
How long are you planning on staying? moving is stressful and expensive - particularly once you're in a chain (we were meant to move on the 6th December and still waiting to exchange). Buy the property that will be most adaptable to your life over the time you are going to live there - dont get caught up in future values too much though it seems to be the national obsession

The 3 bedroom is considerably more spacious. Everything points to the 3 bedroom apart from its current condition. I guess the question is do i sacrifice 10K of my deposit to make the necessary changes.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

Your absolutely right it isn't but ultimately I would like a bigger and better home 5-10 years down the line. Being my first purchase the decision I make on this occasion will go someway to determine whether this aspiration comes to fruition or not

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The 3 bedroom is considerably more spacious. Everything points to the 3 bedroom apart from its current condition. I guess the question is do i sacrifice 10K of my deposit to make the necessary changes.

You could get some friendly Plumbers (Albion fans) in to fit a bathroom:whistle:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Forget the adding value crap - it will appreciate of its own accord with the market (or depreciate). Just live in the one you like the best.

Interiors are all about fashion anyway - anything that looks good now will be dated in 5-10 years regardless.

Avacardo corner bath anyone - hideous now but top-notch at the time.

Location, location, location.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

is the answer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here