Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Calvin on Grabban

Established1982

Jul 30, 2011
Has anybody on here read the Michael Calvin book about Millwall (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Death-Football-Frontline-Proper/dp/1906850267).

First up, I'd recommend it to anybody interested in the game. The access Millwall gave him is unprecedented and the book is a really intelligent look at culture within a football club and the reality of what goes on. I work in professional sport (not football), so have some expertise to back up that statement..

The reason I bring this up now is because Grabban was at Millwall that year and comes out of it very very badly. Calvin makes most players look pretty good, if a bit flawed, but Grabban comes across as a moody space cadet that Jackett got so frustrated with he loaned him out - despite thinking he was one of the most skilful players in the squad. There was also a major issue with him around Ramadan because he is (was at the time at least) a devout Muslim who refused to break his fast and was therefore hardly match fit for at least six weeks.

Interested if anybody else had read it and took away the same perception of Grabban, which made me quite nervous of him coming here. Jackett also comes out of it as a top bloke and very good operator.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Millwall fans didn't like him and were amazed we offered 1m for him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has anybody on here read the Michael Calvin book about Millwall (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Death-Football-Frontline-Proper/dp/1906850267).

First up, I'd recommend it to anybody interested in the game. The access Millwall gave him is unprecedented and the book is a really intelligent look at culture within a football club and the reality of what goes on. I work in professional sport (not football), so have some expertise to back up that statement..

The reason I bring this up now is because Grabban was at Millwall that year and comes out of it very very badly. Calvin makes most players look pretty good, if a bit flawed, but Grabban comes across as a moody space cadet that Jackett got so frustrated with he loaned him out - despite thinking he was one of the most skilful players in the squad. There was also a major issue with him around Ramadan because he is (was at the time at least) a devout Muslim who refused to break his fast and was therefore hardly match fit for at least six weeks.

Interested if anybody else had read it and took away the same perception of Grabban, which made me quite nervous of him coming here. Jackett also comes out of it as a top bloke and very good operator.

Thanks for the book tip. Seems like a good one to check out.

However I'm not sure this would or should have put us off. If you look at our squad this season both Lita and Agustien were said to have attitude problems at Swansea. Neither have made a huge impact but we still signed both. Going back we also had Vicente The Sulk, Barnes the Ref Kicker and Bridge the Out-Of-Love-With-Football. Poyet turned Bridge around and Oscar managed to get Barnes to keep his temper but we certainly don't seem to mind players with attitude. Perhaps because you can't help it in this day and age or perhaps because St Calde anoints them as they first cross the Amex threshold. Must have missed Vicente.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
On the other hand, Grabban was awarded Academy Scholar of the Year at Palace in May 2006.

And I'm struggling to see someone being devoted to their religion as a negative (surely it is up to the buying club to be aware of such issues - would you have much sympathy with a club buying an African international player, who then complained if he was unavailable for the duration of the African Nations Cup?).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ramadan starts on the 28th June and you only fast during daylight hours so it's not as though you starve yourself for 30 days! Next year it is a bit later but again, don't see how it will affect you too much other than possibly eating late!!!!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Firstly it is a great book!, I recommend it to!, as for Grabban he always had visible ability but a bad attitude also!, if he has grown up a bit he could go onto bigger things, is he worth the gamble,, I'm not sure!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Ramadan starts on the 28th June and you only fast during daylight hours so it's not as though you starve yourself for 30 days! Next year it is a bit later but again, don't see how it will affect you too much other than possibly eating late!!!!

And when the last time a player played a game in June if it wasn't at an international tournament? Most are off sunning it up at places most of us are unlikely to visit.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea

I think it's more to do with not having any fluids, not even water I believe

Aug 23, 2011
And when the last time a player played a game in June if it wasn't at an international tournament? Most are off sunning it up at places most of us are unlikely to visit.

I believe it's a moveable festival and will sometimes fall within the season but I would have thought that proper planning and dietary advice it shouldn't affect the player too much

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I believe it's a moveable festival and will sometimes fall within the season but I would have thought that proper planning and dietary advice it shouldn't affect the player too much

It does move, it's the ninth month of the Muslim calendar, which is different to the gregorian months, and by our standards it varies each year. It lasts 29-30 days depending on the moon.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
On the other hand, Grabban was awarded Academy Scholar of the Year at Palace in May 2006.

And I'm struggling to see someone being devoted to their religion as a negative (surely it is up to the buying club to be aware of such issues - would you have much sympathy with a club buying an African international player, who then complained if he was unavailable for the duration of the African Nations Cup?).

Until he does the quinelle?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

Ramadan moves forward about 12 days a year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here