Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zoopla to end sponsorship with WBA because of goal celebration

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair play. I understand their owner is jewish.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Fair enough, I know footballers aren't the brightest bunch but it was extremely ill advised- there are photographs of other French footballers making that gesture as well not that they probably realise the context people might take it in.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Anelka gave this gesture once yet the News show it repeatedly.
Just describing it as anti-Semitic should suffice.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Great publicity for Zoopla. Not only do they get some column inches but they also get to appear to have morals.

And, no doubt, they have done some serious number crunching and would only be leaving the deal if it was financially beneficial in the first place.

Let's be clear...they would have sticked around if their West Brom sponsorship was proving a phenemonally lucrative and successful avenue. They would just claim their support of the club is not deterred by the actions of one individual.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
If WBA have any balls they should play with no sponsor name on their shirts until end of season. As it is Zoopla are not renewing their contract at the end of the season and using Anelka to milk the "value" of column inches so they can see a return on their investment.

theboybilly

If WBA have any balls they should play with no sponsor name on their shirts until end of season. As it is Zoopla are not renewing their contract at the end of the season and using Anelka to milk the "value" of column inches so they can see a return on their investment.

I think WBA should keep the Zoopla logo until the end of the contract, but sack Anelka now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But they would a) be breaching their contract - Zoopla have not cancelled the deal, they just won't renew at the end of the season, b) will be providing more column inches to Zoopla and the Anelka story in general.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
But they would a) be breaching their contract - Zoopla have not cancelled the deal, they just won't renew at the end of the seas, b) will be providing more column inches to Zoopla and the Anelka story in general.

This was part of my original OP question. The media have kinda suggested they are ending an existing deal but it may be that in fact they are just not renewing. PR over drive in my opinion for Zoopla.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This was part of my original OP question. The media have kinda suggested they are ending an existing deal but it may be that in fact they are just not renewing. PR over drive in my opinion for Zoopla.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...sorship-over-nicolas-anelkas-quenelle-gesture

Property website Zoopla says it will end its sponsorship deal with West Brom at the end of the current season due to Nicolas Anelka's 'quenelle' gesture.

Their sponsorship deal with West Brom was the biggest in the club's history, although it was due to expire this summer, and the company has now confirmed it will not renew the deal.

In a statement Zoopla said it had been "reviewing its position over the past few weeks in light of the actions of striker, Nicolas Anelka, during the match against West Ham over the Christmas period and has decided to focus its attention on other marketing activities after this season".​

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
The picture of him doing this has done its rounds a few times now, plenty of advertisement for them!

Ps. Who the **** are zoopla

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...sorship-over-nicolas-anelkas-quenelle-gesture

Property website Zoopla says it will end its sponsorship deal with West Brom at the end of the current season due to Nicolas Anelka's 'quenelle' gesture.

Their sponsorship deal with West Brom was the biggest in the club's history, although it was due to expire this summer, and the company has now confirmed it will not renew the deal.

In a statement Zoopla said it had been "reviewing its position over the past few weeks in light of the actions of striker, Nicolas Anelka, during the match against West Ham over the Christmas period and has decided to focus its attention on other marketing activities after this season".​

Yep thought that was the case, just that when first reported it seemed like they were cutting out of an existing deal. Although I don't doubt the validity of Zoopla's decision, it seems like they made the best out of the statement knowing this would give them a lovely PR freebie

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't understand. What's wrong with the gesture? How is it anti-semitic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here