Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cracking test match

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pakistan have beaten Sri Lanka by chasing 302 in under 60 overs - they won with just 9 balls to spare having scored the last 195 in 33 and a bit overs.

You wouldn't have bet on that result this morning

It's really sad that my first reaction was 'that looks dodgy'. On reflection, it looks like an unlikely result that was largely due to momentum - a bit like Faulkner's innings the other day, a risky approach that looks brilliant when it comes off (and terrible when it goes wrong).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's really sad that my first reaction was 'that looks dodgy'. On reflection, it looks like an unlikely result that was largely due to momentum - a bit like Faulkner's innings the other day, a risky approach that looks brilliant when it comes off (and terrible when it goes wrong).

But isn't that Pakistan all over? They're capable of playing superb cricket one day, and on the next, look like they've never seen a bat or ball before

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But isn't that Pakistan all over? They're capable of playing superb cricket one day, and on the next, look like they've never seen a bat or ball before
Sounds a bit like England.

Apart from the "capable of playing superb cricket" bit obviously.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's a shame SA did not have the guts to go for the record run chase a couple of weeks ago - bottlers! On the other hand, I would never have heard the last of it

That's going to be quite an exciting three-match test series against the Aussies next month. South Africa are arguably the best side in the world at the moment; would be nice to see Aus brought back down to earth but if they win then maybe England aren't quite so bad as the media would have us believe.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That's going to be quite an exciting three-match test series against the Aussies next month. South Africa are arguably the best side in the world at the moment; would be nice to see Aus brought back down to earth but if they win then maybe England aren't quite so bad as the media would have us believe.

Yes, should be very interesting. With Kallis gone and the Aussies confidence up, I reckon it will be very close.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It's a shame SA did not have the guts to go for the record run chase a couple of weeks ago - bottlers! On the other hand, I would never have heard the last of it

I watched that, and SA definetly bottled it. It was there for the taking and they were on course for it, very disappointing, (kind of.....)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I watched that, and SA definetly bottled it. It was there for the taking and they were on course for it, very disappointing, (kind of.....)

Slightly different situation though - the run rate wasn't stiff, just the amount of runs needed. I do think that the record is going to be beaten soon though - batting wickets are generally getting easier and 450/470 on a flat track is not that hard.

The Pakistan chase today was something else though, that's not far short of 6 an over - with none of the fielding and bowling restrictions of a one-dayer. 300 in 57 overs would be a decent one-day chase. I think Misbah is some sort of genius to have got some sort of discipline into that side

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Slightly different situation though - the run rate wasn't stiff, just the amount of runs needed. I do think that the record is going to be beaten soon though - batting wickets are generally getting easier and 450/470 on a flat track is not that hard.

The Pakistan chase today was something else though, that's not far short of 6 an over - with none of the fielding and bowling restrictions of a one-dayer. 300 in 57 overs would be a decent one-day chase. I think Misbah is some sort of genius to have got some sort of discipline into that side

Indeed. If he can get that side playing properly, I can see them climbing up the test rankings fairly soon.
Barring our own catastrophe, there has been some pretty entertaining test cricket lately, very much looking forward to SA vs Aussies

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed. If he can get that side playing properly, I can see them climbing up the test rankings fairly soon.
Barring our own catastrophe, there has been some pretty entertaining test cricket lately, very much looking forward to SA vs Aussies

Yeah, there's plenty of talent in Pakistan - just a question of harnessing it. They're going to be awesome side when Amir finishes his ban, he'll only be 23 still.

Yeah, the SA v Oz series should be a cracker, the one in Australia last year was pretty good too

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here