Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is the Spanish Armada?

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Seems a little odd to me that Poyet was more successful/active in recruiting from Spain/abroad that Oscar has been so far. E.g. Lopez, Ulloa, Calderon.

I would have expected some new cheap Spanish lower league stars to come our way by now, or at least some speculation.

Has Oscar not got the contacts? freedom? to sign from abroad?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Most of it is at the bottom of the atlantic off the coast of Ireland and Scotland isn't it?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You can buy Armada at Harveys.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i am not necessarily one for buying spanish just cos they are spanish, but it does seem odd that we do not seem to have benefitted from Oscar's connections in either Spain or Germany come to that (his bro being Pep's agent et al) - particularly when you consider what value there appears to be in Spain. £2.5m for Mason who is hardly proven vs £2m for Ulloa previous top scorer in their equivalent of the championship. thats without even mentioning Lopez, Vicente and Bruno (all free).

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Seems a little odd to me that Poyet was more successful/active in recruiting from Spain/abroad that Oscar has been so far. E.g. Lopez, Ulloa, Calderon.

I would have expected some new cheap Spanish lower league stars to come our way by now, or at least some speculation.

Has Oscar not got the contacts? freedom? to sign from abroad?

As I understand the system Oscar can select from a short list supplied by David Burke, have any Spanish players appeared on a Burke short list?
I think things worked slightly different when Gus was here.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
As I understand the system Oscar can select from a short list supplied by David Burke, have any Spanish players appeared on a Burke short list?
I think things worked slightly different when Gus was here.

Surely he must be able to influence the list or use his contacts/links etc. That's half the reason for getting a foreign manager like Oscar.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Surely he must be able to influence the list or use his contacts/links etc. That's half the reason for getting a foreign manager like Oscar.

We all assumed that was the reason, but from signings we have seen since his arrival, I am not seeing any evidence of that.

I would also ask when players are supposed to be cheaper from abroad why are we not trying to sign more from abroad.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I said at the start of the season Burke would have more control on the players coming in this season ....

Barnes definitely said that Oscar and Nathan wanted to keep him but he was only offered one contract which didn't seem negotiable. Tony Bloom is in Australia so Burke has all the dealings at the moment.

There was also an article where Oscar talks about Bridcutt saying 'they' rather than we when referring to the club.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
What about Borja Viguera? 26 years old, 6ft, and has 30 goals in 56 games for Alaves who are currently in the relegation zone in Spain's second division...

No idea if he's any good - I've just plucked him from the top scorers chart as someone who seemingly can score but probably wouldn't cost much

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I said at the start of the season Burke would have more control on the players coming in this season ....

But Tony Bloom said nothing had changed on player recruitment this season and it would carry on as it was under Gus Poyet! I don't know who to believe now?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
But Tony Bloom said nothing had changed on player recruitment this season and it would carry on as it was under Gus Poyet! I don't know who to believe now?

Gus was a whinging merchant and managed to get his own way clearly but as soon as Barber came in, the transfer policy was implemented to greater effective, hence why he wanted to leave as early as much March.

But that's just my assumption.

Either that or Gus was clever in that he manipulated Burke into ensuring he would get what Poyet wanted. Unlike Oscar who, again just an assumption, is merely sitting back on this one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have to say that I'm surprised we've brought no one in from Spain since Oscar took over, and I daresay Gus would have had a list of players he was looking at before he left that the club would have been aware of.

This is exactly the market we should be tapping into - many Spanish clubs have a poor record of paying their players, and a number of them have already come here and done well.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Gus was a whinging merchant and managed to get his own way clearly but as soon as Barber came in, the transfer policy was implemented to greater effective, hence why he wanted to leave as early as much March.

But that's just my assumption.

Either that or Gus was clever in that he manipulated Burke into ensuring he would get what Poyet wanted. Unlike Oscar who, again just an assumption, is merely sitting back on this one.

Gus got his way up at Sunderland, by using pretty much the same bunch of players, that were picked by Martin O'Neill. The inference being that the players bought in since were not good enough. If Oscar does not feel he has enough say over transfers right now, he does not have a strong case yet to rock the boat. Any plaudits he gets for keeping an injury ravaged squad in contention for the play offs, also reflects on the depth of the squad he inherited.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It seems to me that Oscar only gets the players that feature in David Burke's shopping list. I would be interested to hear how many players Oscar has personally nominated to Burke and whether we have seriously pursued them.

I wonder what if any knowledge or input Oscar had regarding Ward, Andrews, Kemy, Conway, Lita and Obika before they were brought in? Ok he probably knew of Lopez but was he actually Oscar's signing?

On the other hand it is refreshing that Oscar is willing to give youngsters like Ince, March and Chicksen a go.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
It seems to me that Oscar only gets the players that feature in David Burke's shopping list. I would be interested to hear how many players Oscar has personally nominated to Burke and whether we have seriously pursued them.

I wonder what if any knowledge or input Oscar had regarding Ward, Andrews, Kemy, Conway, Lita and Obika before they were brought in? Ok he probably knew of Lopez but was he actually Oscar's signing?

On the other hand it is refreshing that Oscar is willing to give youngsters like Ince, March and Chicksen a go.

I wonder if giving the youngsters a go is a way of saying he is not as impressed with the main squad as Burke is.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Oscar gets all approval on transfers and it was reported that he did say no to a couple of loan strikers earlier in the season - so he has control of sorts.

Also believe he said in the Fans Forum last July that as long as players are good enough, they would be signed regardless of which country they come from. Also think there would be a lot less paperwork and fees involved with a domestic transfer too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here