Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knives

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Taking inspiration from the TV chefs thread and the fact I am now largely in charge of cooking the family's food, I am in need of a proper set of knives for use in the kitchen. Top end of budget is ~£300 and I'll probably only need 4 (vegetable knife, and 3 larger variants, don't need a bread knife or any fancy cleavers etc), but am not wedded to the idea that the more you spend the better you get.

So over to the collective knowledge of NSC, any ideas gratefully received.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
My tip is not to order online unless you been somewhere to the get the feel of them first or just get them at a shop. People are going to advise all sorts but they have feel and function right for you. Secondly, buy a decent knife sharpener and learn to use it properly

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I asked a friend who is into cooking the same question about 10 years ago and he recommended Global. I bought a full set and not had an problems with them.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Go and have a look at the range of different knives sold in Steamer Trading, try them out and then purchase online.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You really only need a couple of knives at most.

My brother did the Jamie Oliver cooking lesson thing in Brighton and the Chef said any Chef turning up with more than 2 or 3 knives didnt know what they were doing.

For a home good cook, just 1 knife.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Go and have a look at the range of different knives sold in Steamer Trading, try them out and then purchase online.

Sorry! Just realised you live in Suffolk so go to the Ipswich equivalent of Steamer Trading!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The most important thing is supposed to be the balance of the handle and the blade. You should be able to easily balance the knife on your finger where the two meet.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
We use global knives and very happy with them - The one thing is that if you want to keep them properly sharp, you're going to need get sharpening stones and then spend some time figuring out the technique, but once you do, they'll stay sharp for ages....

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have a couple of ceramic knives from Aldi. I was just intrigued, by the claim that they never need to be sharpened. After about 6 months of use, they are still razor sharp, but on one the handle is slightly loose. You can't really use these knives to cut through really hard stuff, such as frozen meat, but for example slim slices of tomato are a breeze and for many jobs, I prefer using these over conventional steel blades.

I would suggest a couple of small ceramic knives are a good investment (if you go one step up from Aldi in terms of quality) along with a couple of large heavy duty knives (maybe a small cleaver) and a bread knife, if you don't already have one.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Global knives can snap between handle and blade, if you are using the flat of the blade to crush something. In my case a clove of garlic, lent on it with the flat of my hand and snap. I am told it is something of a known weakness because the join is forged there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Global knives can snap between handle and blade, if you are using the flat of the blade to crush something. In my case a clove of garlic, lent on it with the flat of my hand and snap. I am told it is something of a known weakness because the join is forged there.

I had a Global knife that snapped in half when I dropped it on the kitchen floor. They look pretty but clearly not robust enough for actual use.

I now use one that's about a third of the price but does the job of cutting and take all sorts of knocks and blows

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Shop local is best where you can get a feel for them. I find it better to buy singly as if you buy a set there will be some you never use.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I use Sabatier knives. they are well balanced and keep sharp. As someone else mentioned the steamer trading type shops let you have a feel for the knife. They are also a good price for anyone

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
You really only need a couple of knives at most.

My brother did the Jamie Oliver cooking lesson thing in Brighton and the Chef said any Chef turning up with more than 2 or 3 knives didnt know what they were doing.

For a home good cook, just 1 knife.

Complete, unmitigated nonsense. Possibly even balderdash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here