Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Previous players 'Not focused enough'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
we didn't sell murray! my viewpoint is that poyet simply wasn't overly fussed about murray and not convinced he'd be any good in the championship...i could be wrong but that's as i understand it

we'd be playing premier league football this season if we'd kept him

There was no guarantee that we'd be playing premier league football. Murray scored just 6 goals under Freedman in his first year in the Championship. I have a theory that Holloway, for all his other faults, does know how to get the best out of strikers. He was the only one who could get Dobbie to score, for example, for both Blackpool and Palace.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
we didn't sell murray! my viewpoint is that poyet simply wasn't overly fussed about murray and not convinced he'd be any good in the championship...i could be wrong but that's as i understand it

How wrong Poyet was about Murray. Not one of his finest hours but I guess we all make mistakes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

You may be right about playing premier league football now, but there were many other things which if they had happened differently could have been the crucial difference. For example, Norwich pulling the Simeon Jackson transfer at the last minute.

Oct 25, 2003
There was no guarantee that we'd be playing premier league football. Murray scored just 6 goals under Freedman in his first year in the Championship. I have a theory that Holloway, for all his other faults, does know how to get the best out of strikers. He was the only one who could get Dobbie to score, for example, for both Blackpool and Palace.

Our primary problem last season was not scoring enough goals before Ulloa turned up. We dropped quite a lot of points through poor finishing (I can think of at least 2 draws that would have been wins with better finishing, not to mention defeats that should have been draws). We were only 4 points off 2nd place last season which is the equivalent of 2 draws becoming wins. Personally I think we would have been going for the title with Murray in the team.

Oct 25, 2003
You may be right about playing premier league football now, but there were many other things which if they had happened differently could have been the crucial difference. For example, Norwich pulling the Simeon Jackson transfer at the last minute.

true, but then would we have been bothered about going for Jackson if we had Murray?

it's all hypothetical of course. There's no guarantee, as Thunder Bolt pointed out, that Murray would have scored all those goals in a Poyet team

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our primary problem last season was not scoring enough goals before Ulloa turned up. We dropped quite a lot of points through poor finishing (I can think of at least 2 draws that would have been wins with better finishing, not to mention defeats that should have been draws). We were only 4 points off 2nd place last season which is the equivalent of 2 draws becoming wins. Personally I think we would have been going for the title with Murray in the team.

I agree but there was no guarantee that Murray would have scored those goals. CMS scored 10 in his first year, which was more than Murray. It's all ifs, buts and maybes.
Hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here