Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any recommendations for football autobiographies??

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Reading Harry Redknapps at the moment and its excellent but what's one you can highly recommend?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I am the secret footballer, tales from the secret footballer, bobby Robson's...think it's called so long but not farewell or something...

Also Brian cloughs was great, although you won't like the parts relating to the Albion!

My favorite anecdote from that one comes from Martin o'neils foreword...on entering cloughs office and demanding to know why he was playing with the reserves clough replied...'son, it's because you're just slightly to good for the third team'.

Classic!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've just finished 'Where's Your Caravan? My Life on Football's B-roads' by Chris Hargreaves (newly appointed Torquay manager) which was surprisingly good. No massive shocks or big names but a good read regardless...oh, and it gets extra points for actually being written by him as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simon Jordans is very entertaining.

Paul Mersons "How Not to be a Professional Footballer" is good as well.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Also just remembered, Jamie Lawrence (winger whose best spell was with Bradford City in the premiere league around 2000), wrote a great book about his journey from time at her majesties pleasure to the premiere league and his all round genuine charitable efforts to help give development opportunities to kids from deprived backgrounds such as his.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interesting how much disdain both Joe Corrigan and Gordon Smith had for Chris Cattlin's management skills, in their autobiographies, when Albion fans tend to hold him in very high esteem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Robert Enke - A Life too Short is an interesting but ultimately sad read.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Very strange that Jimmy Case hasn't had an autobiography out and yet lots of journeymen footballers have.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Paul McGrath's autobiography is very good. Incredible to think he was still such a fine player at the back end of his career despite not training and battling a booze addiction.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
I've got a feeling that Jimmy Case has released an autobiography, although I myself have never seen it. When I was working on my Albion book 'A Few Good Men' Jimmy willingly co-operated in the chapter devoted to him but made me aware from the start that he wanted to keep the majority of the Liverpool stuff back for his own book which he was about to start working on - and that was back in 2007.

I loved Cascarino's 'Full Time'- read the thing cover to cover in a day on holiday. Found Stan Bowles' autobiography in a second hand shop just before Christmas and that's just marvellous for its outrageousness. Plenty of tales about him and fellow QPR 'wide boy' Don Shanks who of course signed for the Albion in 1981. Dated Mary Stavin, a former Miss World - as you do!

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Robert Enke - A Life too Short is an interesting but ultimately sad read.

Another recommendation for this. It's interesting reading about the more human aspects of young players moving internationally between clubs and how it can affect them. It is easy to just think about the money involved in transfers rather than about the young bloke moving around underneath it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here