Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pound / Dollar Exchange Rate Question.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
As NSC is the font of all knowledge I thought I'd see if there were any financial whizz kids out there who can give me some pearls of wisdom.
I get paid in US dollars and the exhange rate is killing me at the moment. Any hopes of the dollar strengthening in the near (or distant) future?
If not a career change is definitely on the cards. No point being away half the year for peanuts.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
U.S dollar is likely to improve slightly but not significantly against the pound......but hey if we knew for sure we would all be millionaires.

Have you thought of buying designer clobber in the u.s which is 4 or 5 times the price in the u.k...?? e.i Ralphs , Abercrombie and Hollister...???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As NSC is the font of all knowledge I thought I'd see if there were any financial whizz kids out there who can give me some pearls of wisdom.
I get paid in US dollars and the exhange rate is killing me at the moment. Any hopes of the dollar strengthening in the near (or distant) future?
If not a career change is definitely on the cards. No point being away half the year for peanuts.

Tell me about it. I get paid in stirling and live in Germany.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Gbp usd yr low 1.4866 yr high 1.6586 (last 12 months)
Sure it's sitting near its high at the moment but gbp has sat around 1.55-1.60 mark most of the last 12 months. Can it make that much difference to you?
How are you getting your money exchanged?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Get my salary wired direct to my UK account.
A few of the guys have dollar accounts & transfer when it suits them. I have a mortgage & direct debits etc so I'd rather just get it over & done with.
Never been too clever when it comes to finance to be honest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so you have to go to Scotland to collect your money?

yeah i can see that being expensive.

Maybe when they leave the UK they'll join the euro? This will make life easier for me.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

smudge have you tried your HR? there are lots of packages and advice about for seafarers, they should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction. They should be uour first port of call (pun intended). As USD is default in your game, there are lots of crew on far more unstable exchange rates.

Anyway if you are away that long I would be sorting out your income tax before dealing with exchange rate variance. Thats a drop in the ocean (again pun intended) compared to that.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
smudge have you tried your HR? there are lots of packages and advice about for seafarers, they should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction. They should be uour first port of call (pun intended). As USD is default in your game, there are lots of crew on far more unstable exchange rates.

Anyway if you are away that long I would be sorting out your income tax before dealing with exchange rate variance. Thats a drop in the ocean (again pun intended) compared to that.
Do you remember that very boozy afternoon when it was brigbton v charlton and millwall v palace and we did t make it out of the pub ? You met smudge early on that day.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I bought £10,000 of dollars at 2.10US$ = £1 about 5 or more years back. Great investment. At the moment is has hovered at the 1.50 mark for the last few years and certainly wont go a lot lower than that. Something we did in Spain whilst living there is find someone who wants dollars, maybe they are in an opposite position to you, and swop at a better rate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I bought £10,000 of dollars at 2.10US$ = £1 about 5 or more years back. Great investment. At the moment is has hovered at the 1.50 mark for the last few years and certainly wont go a lot lower than that. Something we did in Spain whilst living there is find someone who wants dollars, maybe they are in an opposite position to you, and swop at a better rate.

Peer2Peer exchange markets are good for this. I use CurrencyFair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here