Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Love for the FA Cup- Is it a generational thing?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I still love the FA Cup and hate to see weakened teams. I believe it's a tournament that we should go out to try and succeed in. It just seems the magic is slowly being eroded year on year by an increasing measure of apathy, perhaps proportional to a supporters age. How old does one have to be now to remember how important the Cup was and treat it that way still?

Last edited:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I still love the FA Cup and hate to see weakened teams. I believe it's a tournament that we should go out to try and succeed in. It just seems the magic is slowly being eroded year on year by an increasing measure of apathy perhaps proportional to a supporters age. How old does one have to be now to still remember how important the Cup was and treat it that way still?

35+?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Grew up with the cup final as the pinnacle/showpiece of the season.
I do get a bit infuriated the way it is now, maybe Murdoch will buy it one day and return it to its' glory years..............(god help us)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was born in 1980, but I think the first final I saw on TV* was the '92 final of Liverpool vs Sunderland. I used to snap up the various magazines about the cup final.

I love the early rounds of the minnows and Albion (when we were poor), but not so much nowadays. The TV scheduling is dire. They never seem to pick genuinely interesting ties and it appears to be spread over numerous channels.

The tournament has been devalued (weakened sides/semi-finals at Wembley/clubs opting out) and I can't see the magic ever returning.

I think the last FA Cup final I watched all the way through was Liverpool vs West Ham '05. The final doesn't interest me anymore.

* I had watched others, but intermittently on a tiny portable TV, as I was generally playing cricket on the day of the final.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When I was a kid I knew all the FA Cup winners from 1900 to 1962. But I doubt I knew who won the league the previous year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interesting. I still love it. But undoubtedly TV and Man Utd have taken the shine off it. The moment Utd were allowed to opt out, devalued it in my view.

TV wise. Both the BBC and ITV should have the rights no questions asked, it is a joke that BT have anything to do with it. Following on from this, there needs to be a complete review of which teams are chosen for coverage.

As an experiment I'd like one of the channels to select a team and follow them all the way through from the qualifying rounds, show all games live (even if it is on ITV4). Nothing can be as tedious as Man City v Blackburn.

D

Deleted member 18477

The only way to seriously make it great again would be to give the 4th champions league spot to the winner.

D

Deleted member 18477

it is a joke that BT have anything to do with it.

Why? Sky have had coverage of the FA cup before? And BT is more free than Sky will ever be!

I personally like the BT coverage and really dislike ITV's football coverage. Next season will be better with BT and BBC having coverage!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
When I was a kid the FA Cup final was the biggest occasion of the domestic season and a rare chance to see a live game on the telly.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
It's a question I asked Paul Rogers in this weeks Roar. Dodge was part of the Sutton Utd team that famously beat Coventry in 1989.

The advent of the Champions league as it is as eroded teams appetite for the competition. Teams would rather finish 4th than win the FAcup which is very sad

When I was a kid the FA Cup final was the biggest occasion of the domestic season and a rare chance to see a live game on the telly.

Same here, blanket coverage on both channels (yes kids there were only two and the third, BBC2 was too posh for that sort of thing) from around 0900, "Cup Final It's a Knockout" and all sort of tenuous light entertainment tie ins. Then the kick off at 1500, only other game on that day was the Scottish Cup Final and it was always on a Saturday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....and having cameras and reporters on the trains taking fans to Wembley.

It started to be devalued when semis were played at Wembley

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is the Manchester United opt out (1999?) that I think was pivotal.

Not really sure it was pivotal. It was Manchester United's name that was more sullied than that of the FA Cup. If I remember correctly, lots of supporters rallied behind the competition in response to United's withdrawal.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The FA Cup was not helped by the face that from 1991 onwards, there wasn't a memorable final match for a long, long time. Arguably, the West Ham v Liverpool final in 2006 was the first 'classic' final since 1990.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
If the first cup final you watched was in the 70s or before you'll still love it. If not, you'll not really care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here