Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Halfords Manager Damaged My Car

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No idea what to do here.

I went to Halfords this morning to buy release keys for my car stereo plus a cable.

I was given the wrong release keys and whilst outside in the Halfords car park, I asked an employee (sales Manager) if he could just look at my stereo to tell me what keys I need.

I specifically said 'I'm not asking anyone to sort it, I just want to know which keys to buy',).

I let the employee into the car to look at the stereo, he then asked for the keys and said 'easy, I'll do that'.

He then attempted to take the stereo out using the wrong keys (which I told him weren't the right ones), scuffed the sh*t out of the stereo and damaged the stereo LCD display whilst aggressively trying to pull the stereo out.

After I told him to stop as he was scuffing my stereo, he walked off and said 'they're the right keys, you just need to keep doing that' (vigorously attack the stereo and attempt to force it out).

I immediately followed him into the shop and asked for a refund and confronted him about scuffing my stereo and display, he flat-out denied the entire thing... :mad:

He is the Sales Manager and I'm really pissed off to be honest.
He's royally scuffed my stereo and made the LCD blurry due to the force he was using.

What are my options?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
20+ years ago I was Manager at a Halfords (not so) Superstore. Get in touch with their customer service department at their Head Office and threaten to get The Argus involved. One sneaky slimey Volvo estate driving antique dealer had a complete new engine fitted to his car free of charge by doing this.
Things may have changed though but back then they didn't want any bad publicity.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Get in touch with their head office as suggested with some pics and never use halfords :)

Dec 29, 2011
Never used Halfords, it's a lazy option. There are better value, more knowledgeable alternatives in Brighton for any problem.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
20+ years ago I was Manager at a Halfords (not so) Superstore. Get in touch with their customer service department at their Head Office and threaten to get The Argus involved. One sneaky slimey Volvo estate driving antique dealer had a complete new engine fitted to his car free of charge by doing this.
Things may have changed though but back then they didn't want any bad publicity.
Get in touch with their head office as suggested with some pics and never use halfords :)

Cheers. I've taken some photos of the damage and the damage to the tools he used. Its ridiculous. I think I'll have to call the head office as I won't be able to deal with it in store. The system is a £300-£400 piece of kit so I don't really have a clue if I've got a leg to stand on i.e. his word against mine.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Cheers. I've taken some photos of the damage and the damage to the tools he used. Its ridiculous. I think I'll have to call the head office as I won't be able to deal with it in store. The system is a £300-£400 piece of kit so I don't really have a clue if I've got a leg to stand on i.e. his word against mine.

He's not the Store Manager tho is he? Go to him. & threaten Head Office

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Just stick to your guns and keep going up the hierarchy as and when you need to. Have to do the boring stuff like writing down date time and name of anyone and everyone you speak to on the phone etc

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
could be on a sticky wicket.....all he needs to say is you asked him and it was already damaged.
Yeah I can see that being a possibility as he outright denied causing any damage when I confronted him in front of 2-3 of his staff.
I guess I'll just have to get on the phone to Head Office on Monday and see what they say.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A mate of mine took his car to Halfords to get something done and when he collected it, the exhaust was blowing. He suspected that they'd lowered the lift with a toolbox or similar under it because of the way the pipe was deflected. They flat denied they had done anything wrong so he took them to the small claims court and won. Dont be afraid to threaten them with that.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Are there any cameras in the car park?

Just get onto head office and if you get no joy send them an LBA(letter before action) along with a quote to fix/replace the damaged goods within fourteen days otherwise you will issue court proceedings. Also may be worth contacting them on twitter/facebook(if they have them) as they do not like others knowing they are shite

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
My cousins husband had a couple of tyres replaced at halfords a couple of years ago.
Travelling down the road he heard serious knocking and wheel wobbling.....they hadn't tightened up wheel nuts!
Total cowboys are halfords, I wouldn't trust them to set my dinner table !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here