Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Mixed Emotions for El-Abd

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
el-abd-f229-1301502_478x359.jpg

El-Abd in action for Albion

Adam El-Abd says the decision he made to leave Albion was the hardest of his life – but he is now looking forward to a new challenge with Bristol City.
It was a case of stick or twist for the 29-year-old Brighton-born defender – who made the switch on Thursday evening, signing a three-and-a-half year deal with City, and in doing so ended a 20-year association with the Albion.
El-Abd – who is expected to make his debut for his new club against MK Dons today – told seagulls.co.uk, "I have been with the club as a man and boy, and never really imagined myself playing anywhere else - but at the same time I want to play regular football and currently the Albion cannot offer me that.
"There are no hard feelings, it's football. Gordon Greer and Matt Upson have been an excellent pairing at centre-half, and I know it isn't personal, but I don't want to be a reserve player sitting on the bench waiting for an injury or suspension to come on and play.
"It wasn't easy to make the decision, and it is genuinely a case of mixed emotions. I am very sad to be leaving, leaving behind a lot of friends – and the team spirit at the club is the best there is – but at the same time I am excited by a new challenge and the prospect of getting back to playing regular football.
"I have missed that this season and I must be honest, it hasn't been easy for me. I am not the type of player who can sit on the bench or in the stands. I want to be out on the pitch playing every minute I possibly can - and now more than ever at the age of 29.
"I also have a young family to think of at this stage of my career and the long-term offer from Bristol City was also a very important factor as I reached the decision."
el-abd-l229-1301506.jpg

El-Abd joined Albion as a schoolboy in 1994, signed professional forms in 2003 and won two promotions in his time as a senior pro - in 2004 and 2011, when he also was voted Player of the Season by the fans.*
He added, "The Albion fans have been fantastic all the time I have been here - I will miss them. I thank them for everything they have done for me and the club during my time. I hope that in their eyes I have repaid the faith they have shown in me, with my efforts on the pitch.
"Led by Dick Knight, I saw them save the club from extinction. Then they campaigned to get the club back to Brighton at Withdean, and eventually for the permission for the new stadium - and it has been a privilege to be on that journey with them. Tony Bloom has carried that forward and I hope that journey carries on and that the club can go right to the top level.*
"There are also many people at the club who have helped me from my days as a schoolboy right through to now. People like Les Rogers, who worked so hard for the club, right through the tough times - and is missed by so many of us. He did a lot for me and for so many of the players who came through the club's centre of excellence.
"Then there are my first full-time coaches: Martin Hinshelwood, Dean Wilkins, Vic Bragg and John Byrne [under-17 coach] who put up with me as a youth-team scholar and brought through a number of good players from my generation.
"They gave me a great start in football and of course all the managers who I played under – particularly Mark McGhee who gave me my chance at a senior level and my first professional contract shortly after he took over as manager; Gus Poyet who showed great faith in me and helped me develop enormously and Oscar, who I know will be a very good head coach for the club.
"I will take away a lot of very good memories from my time with the Albion, and I would like to thank everyone at the club for their help over the years and wish the team well for the rest of the season. I really hope that the boys can make the play-offs and go one better than we did last season! They are a very talented squad and a great group of players, and I will miss them."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here