Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My respect for TB keeps on growing

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It sounds like the Grabban deal has stalled for now because TB is refusing to be played by the agent. Seems we want to buy players to improve this team but not at any cost. If that's the case I couldn't agree with his approach more. It's a sign - along with his investment in infrastructure, commitment to FFP etc - that we're determined to build a club with a healthy, long term, sustainable future. If that means we win the race a little more slowly, but with a damn site more integrity, then I'm all for it. I really do love this football club.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
It sounds like the Grabban deal has stalled for now because TB is refusing to be played by the agent. Seems we want to buy players to improve this team but not at any cost. If that's the case I couldn't agree with his approach more. It's a sign - along with his investment in infrastructure, commitment to FFP etc - that we're determined to build a club with a healthy, long term, sustainable future. If that means we win the race a little more slowly, but with a damn site more integrity, then I'm all for it. I really do love this football club.

Spot on :thumbsup:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Here, here. The future is bright, the future is Bloom.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Oh my bleedin gawd, some sense at last. I'm going to pour myself a glass of Christmas port to celebrate this. Read sooo much dross and depressive rants this week...well done mate.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We won't get any players in then if that is the case

Good. I want players that want to play for the the club and not come along for a payday. Players and agents know their worth and if they think they are entitled to more then they can go and seek their fortune elsewhere. Those that come will be offered a competitive rate, if they don't like it then they can always sign for Palarse.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I concur with the OPs thoughts, but out of interest, where did this story come from?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We won't get any players in then if that is the case

Not sure that I agree that we won't get 'any' players - we just won't get those greedy players - or more specifically agents who make unrealistic demands of those Clubs trying to comply with FFP.

Let those players go to Clubs with parachute money as we cannot compete with them anyway.

As the impact of FFP grows (and assuming it is robustly enforced) then I'm sure this scenario will become more commonplace among clubs like ours who are just doing what is right for the club overall - and not what might suit one prospective player.

This where the hard nosed poker playing Chairman and his Chief Executive show their real muscle, and they won't be ripped off by some cheeky agent and a badly advised player.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I support TB wholeheartedly. He is a fan, he holds the purse strings, and coming from Sussex, he will not be druv by spivy agents trying to make a buck.
Being a top poker player and businessman, he can read players and agents like a book and will not be taken for a ride.
We are indeed very fortunate and I rest by any decision he takes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I understand that players and agents should try and get the best deal but there comes a point when the media are all over it, and that's where we are now. The player looks greedy, Bloom looks in control and the agent looks like a kvnt.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The power lies with the agent & players not with the chairman, while Bloom and Barber go on about FFP all the other clubs ignoring it will snap up anyone decent
Ain't that the truth. There can't be a chairman alive who wants to deal with an agent, so why do they do it? Time for the league chairman to close ranks and drive the parasites out of the game.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The power lies with the agent & players not with the chairman, while Bloom and Barber go on about FFP all the other clubs ignoring it will snap up anyone decent

Let them. We'll be stable whilst they have to flog their players just to get in line.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I think there's a lot of truth in this sentiment. The only ways it won't work like that is if a player is so taken with the club's vision of the future they come to us even though they could get more money somewhere else. That's a big ask for a late teens/20s young man.

If, and it's a HUGE if, the FL do actively punish clubs breaking FFP then the playing field could level out in the next 3 or so years. If the FL don't punish them and FFP breaks down, then we could come to see that our compliance with FFP is not simply to stick within the rules, but also marks the limit of loss that TB is prepared to make (which is something I've always suspected).

Winning promotion with a materially lower budget than many other clubs in the league would mark an enormous achievement, and should not be taken as read by anyone.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Great post :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here