Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk Esq

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Whilst it was sad to see the departure od Adam El-A and I enthusiastically witnessed his debut away at Notts County all those years ago, it does present an opportunity for Lewis Dunk to put matters behind him and step up to the mark. Prior to Gordon Greer's arrival he was a promising, young almost first on the team sheet as a centre back with high hopes. As I see it the position has not changed. As a footballer he has the attributes and requisite skills to become an Albion great. He was prone to odd mistakes despite playing an otherwise exemplar game but with maturity he has the potential to make a massive impression and play at the highest level. All the signs are there given an opportunity in the first team.
So Lewis, with the departure of Adam, your time has come and make the most of it, because future greatness beckons in the mould of dare I say it, Mark Lawrenson, who didn't turn out too bad, did he.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is rather ironic that he was on loan at Bristol CIty until getting injured and apparently they sent him back for treatment and cancelled the loan then bought a player from us to fill the role. I would think that the club have an imminent signing of a CB to allow El Abd to leave and will not fall back on Dunk. If he can prove he is good enough then that is a bonus for us.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Prior to Gordon Greer's arrival he was a promising, young almost first on the team sheet as a centre back with high hopes.

GG arrived at the beginning of the 2010/11 season. Dunk only played a handful of games in that season with the CB roles being filled mainly by AE-A, GG and to a lesser extent TE.

That said, I agree with the thrust of your post - in our first season at the Amex I thought Dunky was destined for great things. I recall an interview where Gus said he would play in the Prem (the one where it sounded like he was calling him "Donkey"), so yes, you're right - it's a key second half of the season for Lewis. I hope it all works out for him

Jul 7, 2003
A lot of people seem to have forgotten about Maxi in all this - an international defender who is a centre back. With him and Dunk as back ups, should the old boys get injured / suspended I think they should do okay. If they don't learn from playing / training with and watching Upson then they never will.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The problem is that Greer is the captain and Upson is our best defender, the two of them are only getting older and seem some what difficult to dislodge from the starting line up. Even a six game run where El-Abd played the best football of his Albion career wasn't enough for him to keep the spot.

I long for Dunky to become an outstanding first teamer but fear it won't ever happen

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Poyet completely ruined Dunk's confidence. He made a couple of mistakes and after those Poyet proceeded to banish him to the reserves instead of sticking with him so he can make up for those mistakes.

Hopefully all he needs is a manager to show some faith in him to get his confidence back, although I can't see him starting any time soon.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Dunk is a good footballer and offers a greater threat in the opposing box than either Upson or Greer. Hopefully he will get some game time and be supported to develop.
I am sure a mobile centre back with real quality will come in the summer.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Dunk has the ability to learn a lot from a player like Upson. Problem is that Greer will prevent that from happening unless he hands over the captaincy to someone who is going to be a regular for some seasons to come.

Jimmy Grimble

Unfortunately for Dunk he hasn't come on as well as he should have done for a number of reasons, however, he still has more about him at his current age than El-Abd did. Given the right circumstances I still believe he can go onto be a top end Championship/lower end Premier League player. One of his best attributes is something that's hardest to teach - his ability to read the game, so he has that on his side for the rest of his career. If he can learn to cut out sloppy mistakes and mistimed tackles he'll do well. Hopefully it'll be with us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As one of the greatest clubs in the world, Barca would only let one of the greatest youth managers in the world get anywhere near their youth teams. Dunk will either go the way of Ince or follow Barker & Dickenson down a division or two. The thing I acknowledge is that there are few better judges of a young footballer in the country than Oscar Garcia, there is no way he'd have had that position with Barca if this wasn't true. I am looking forward to what he is going to do with Richards!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here