Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 4S upgrade to iPhone 5S

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So my partner in her wisdom has just upgraded her iPhone to a 5S. I've managed after much pain to back her old phone up using iTunes and "restored" it to the iPhone 5S. She used to have a 32Gb 4S and now has a 16Gb 5S which obviously means she can't fit everything from her old phone on the new one.

Despite 20+ years of working in PROPER IT, I can't for the life of me delete the photos from iTunes ( local copy on a PC ) so that they don't get synced to the new phone ( the lovely bar across the bottom of iTunes shows 8Gb of photos which I need to dump ).

What is the quickest and easiest way to get the backup of the old phone restored to the new phone ( contacts, apps, music but NO photos ) ?

Grrrr ...... I hate Apple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's bloody easy with Windows and Android phones !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Old phone -> iCloud backup. Turn off photos as part of the backup.

New phone -> reset to default. Start again and restore the iCloud backup when you configure the phone. It will be exactly the sane as the old phone.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

New phone -> reset to default. Start again and restore the iCloud backup when you configure the phone. It will be exactly the sane as the old phone.

Saved me posting exactly the same!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

iCloud limit = 5Gb
Phone minus photos = 10Gb

How do I do that ?

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Why not just delete the photos off the phone, do a local back up to the computer of the old phone using itunes, then restore the back up onto the new phone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here