Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia 10 mins Press Conference

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This 'ego maniac' thing really is odd. How many top players, managers, or even very successful people aren't 'ego maniacs'? Is Jose Mourinho a nice, modest, down to earth guy? How about SAF? Fabiola Capello?What about Brian Clough? These guys were all about themselves. Number 1. The boss. All about them.

It's a hard fact, but generally the most successful people on this world aren't particularly nice. Mainly because it's difficult to get that level of success of you are. So I really don't see what people's issue with Poyet being a bit of a cock was. Most top managers and players are. Russell Slade was a lovely guy, would you rather have him in charge?

Also, it took Poyet a lot longer than 6 months to start moaning about the budget. And as anyone with an ounce of sense knows, you always play down the budget you have. It's not going to help you much in transfer dealings if you come out and say "we're filthy rich, money is no object", is it?

I can't answer this question you pose in full. None of us could produce such a list, although plenty on here might enjoy having a go. What I can say on this, however, is that Oscar is not an ego-maniac. He exudes calm and determination. He is A VERY GOOD THING.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
At least you accept Gus is a 'cock'. Your words, not mine. The difference between Jose, Sir Alex and the others you mention being arrogant egotists and Gus being the same, is that their success warrants their arrogance.

Of course, because Poyet wasn't successful with us at all, was he? Only took us from League One relegation candidates to the brink of the Premier League by playing great possession football, achieving way beyond what should have been achieved on our limited budget (interesting that Garcia also acknowledges that our financial restrictions make it difficult for us to compete with some of the other clubs in this division, incidentally).

Gus was obviously a MASSIVE FAILURE

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You seem to have a weird, obsessional fixation with Poyet. Why is that? I reckon around 90% of the posts you make on NSC are some kind of attack on him. Seriously, perhaps you need to talk to someone about it...? At the very least, it seems a very strange way to react towards someone who, for whatever faults he may have, is undoubtedly one of the best managers in our club's history.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I notice you often make 4 or 5 posts immediately after one another. Do you have a 21st century technology based stutter ?

No. I am a robot with a default setting of "counter the Gus-loving BS" quickly!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
*History hastily being rewritten*

OK so Gus may have waited until we got to the Amex and he was given funds that past Albion managers could only have dreamed about before he started banging on about what a poor budget we had in comparison to over half the division BUT he was talking about managing other teams almost from the day he arrived. Not sure I've heard a single utterance from Oscar about how he'd like to manage anybody else at all.

Not sure that anybody doesn't recognise the fine job he did on the field but you seem to be totally incapable of accepting any criticism of "the finest manager ever to manage Albion" and continually refuse to accept that he was totally out of order in his mouthing off at any given opportunity. Please don't say he was only answering the questions posed as most decent managers sidestep the issue occasionally. Not sure Gus EVER managed to sidestep a question about Chelsea, Leeds or Spurs and once threw in the laughable idea that he could manage Arsenal. As if they'd let him anywhere near that institution with his mouth :smile:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of course, because Poyet wasn't successful with us at all, was he? Only took us from League One relegation candidates to the brink of the Premier League by playing great possession football, achieving way beyond what should have been achieved on our limited budget (interesting that Garcia also acknowledges that our financial restrictions make it difficult for us to compete with some of the other clubs in this division, incidentally).

Gus was obviously a MASSIVE FAILURE

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You seem to have a weird, obsessional fixation with Poyet. Why is that? I reckon around 90% of the posts you make on NSC are some kind of attack on him. Seriously, perhaps you need to talk to someone about it...? At the very least, it seems a very strange way to react towards someone who, for whatever faults he may have, is undoubtedly one of the best managers in our club's history.

You miss the point. Winning league 1 and failing to reach the Prem in no way match the records of Jose and SAF. I have ALWAYS recognised that Gus is a good manager, but to compare him to those 2 just shows how twisted some on here are in their relentless Gus love-in.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Seemed reasonably clear at the end that he thinks Liam will not be a Brighton player by the end of the window

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Very noticeable that it coincided pretty neatly with Barber coming in. I'm guessing TB had previously promised GP certain things that were then taken away when PB came in, conjecture I know but logical, and if your job description changed halfway through your contract by quite a way you'd probably be a bit cheesed off too, no?

I don't think the Barber changing everything in is a fair statement, we championed and led the way on FFP and Gus fully understood this.

Do you think Bloom promised Gus an open cheque book?

The trouble with making making costly signings and paying high wages is the next week the player gets injured and is then out for six months or a year. Rooney and Van Percie are probably costing Man U a £1/4m a week at the moment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think the Barber changing everything in is a fair statement, we championed and led the way on FFP and Gus fully understood this.

Do you think Bloom promised Gus an open cheque book?

The trouble with making making costly signings and paying high wages is the next week the player gets injured and is then out for six months or a year. Rooney and Van Percie are probably costing Man U a £1/4m a week at the moment.

And the rest. Pretty sure that Rooney's on that alone.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You miss the point. Winning league 1 and failing to reach the Prem in no way match the records of Jose and SAF. I have ALWAYS recognised that Gus is a good manager, but to compare him to those 2 just shows how twisted some on here are in their relentless Gus love-in.

Not comparing him to those managers in terms of success, but Commander made a very good point that a lot of the very best managers come across as a bit arrogant and outspoken.

I think this boils down to whether you prefer your managers to have a cool, philosophical (and tiny bit dull) approach, or a passionate and enthusiastic one. Both types can work. I know which I prefer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here