Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship clubs in Europe

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Second tier Russian and Dutch clubs? With all due respect to those nation's leagues. The likes of QPR, Leicester and Forest would shit all over them with their squads. Also it's more unwanted fixtures, few clubs would want to travel and even fewer would take the matches seriously.

(Await's someone getting wound up because the article calls teams with lower home attendances than us bigger clubs than us.)

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Second tier Russian and Dutch clubs? With all due respect to those nation's leagues. The likes of QPR, Leicester and Forest would shit all over them with their squads. Also it's more unwanted fixtures, few clubs would want to travel and even fewer would take the matches seriously.

(Await's someone getting wound up because the article calls teams with lower home attendances than us bigger clubs than us.)

Very much this. Wasn't there some sort of Anglo-Italian thing going on at one stage which was rather short-lived ?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
The reason why clubs struggle to fill stadiums is the price of tickets. If you get people into the stadium they will spend in other area's. There is no desire for this type of competition in my opinion.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I do like that second articles suggestion that only the 'biggest' clubs would be allowed to enter this competition and it wouldn't take be done on merit, in which case Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: wouldn't ever get close to it.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I think it would be fun. An away day at Foggia or Dynamo Dresden.

An April semi-final in Foggia would be a splendid weekend. Although Dresden would be better for sight-seeing. It's left a strange hyperthetic scenario running in my head as to who I would want to win that Quarter Final.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand

Completely agree. European football is for the finest in the country not for the hell of it! Football League need to review the fixture congestion here let alone introduce our own!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Anglo-Italian Cup was a disaster in the mid-nineties with low crowds, financial losses and Serie B teams being over physical, spitting and diving. Birmingham City players were attacked after winning a match over there and Barry Fry said he'd never play a team in the competition again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here