Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we just seen the last 300+ Albion games player?

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
AEA leaving is a sad day, but inevitable really. And maybe we have seen the last ever player to play > 300 games for the Albion.......

We have definitely seen the last ever testimonial player.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I don't see why. Man U have a few who have been around for a long while.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Buckley will have to be here for 50 years before he gets anywhere close

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't see why. Man U have a few who have been around for a long while.

And when they all retire it is unlikely that they (MU) will see players staying as long ever again. Gerrard at LFC will probably be their last long term player too.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only loyalty left in football is in the fans. This isn't a dig at AEA; just an observation of how football has changed in my lifetime.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So who is left at the club from the withdean days...ankergan, lua lua although he doesn't count as he was a loanee!

Anyone else?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Calderon, Crofts and Greer are all I can think of, Dave. Is Crofts the last pre-Poyet player left?

Not sure...I was talking to tommy Fraser tonight and he was not surprised Adam left. He was not happy being left out when Greer came back and was told that he is in a long line now!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I must admit I'm a bit worried. I know we're all wanting the Albion to get to the Premier League, but to me it's just another indication that we're becoming just another corporate club, with far less connection to its fans than before. Sure, it's the way to go, and I shall be told I'm talking crap (not by Paul, Bozza, etc though I wouldn't think), but somehow players like AEA, Calde, Gary Hart and even to a certain extent Ashley Barnes were players you could relate to - they made you feel you were a part of the club. Maybe they had limited talent, but by and large, they loved the club (okay, some will argue against this view in the case of Barnes, given what he told the Argus). I'm not sure that will be the case with the better players we are supposed to be signing. Not that I'm opposed to El Abd being let go. His lack of pace was beginning to show. The one chance Huddersfield had was when James Vaughan broke away from El Abd and lobbed Brezovan. I was far more annoyed at Barnes' departure.

Last edited:

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I must admit I'm a bit worried. I know we're all wanting the Albion to get to the Premier League, but to me it's just another indication that we're becoming just another corporate club, with far less connection to its fans than before. Sure, it's the way to go, and I shall be told I'm talking crap (not by Paul, Bozza, etc though I wouldn't think), but somehow players like AEA, Calde, Gary Hart and even to a certain extent Ashley Barnes were players you could relate to - they made you feel you were a part of the club. Maybe they had limited talent, but by and large, they loved the club (okay, some will argue against this view in the case of Barnes, given what he told the Argus). I'm not sure that will be the case with the better players we are supposed to be signing. Not that I'm opposed to El Abd being let go. His lack of pace was beginning to show. The one chance Huddersfield had was when James Vaughan broke away from El Abd and lobbed Brezovan. I was far more annoyed at Barnes' departure.

Not sure we all want PL - to be honest I'm not sure what I want to see. Yes PL for a couple of years, see the stars at The Amex - hold our own ? Tricky. Do I want to see Albion in 11th place in the PL, but only 6 points off the bottom 3 in March? Do I want to see us regularly losing at The Amex (I know - but excluding late 2013!) & losing away? Do we want to be yoyo side? What about the finances when you crash out of the PL, some 1,2 or 3 years after reaching the Holy Grail? Or should we accept Championship football - Top 8 every season?

Maybe aspire to being a good Cup side in mid-table PL? Avoiding relegation and reaching mid-table year after year? Is that enough to whet the appetite? I have no idea, just random thoughts. It's always exciting following the Albion and we have a few more years yet ahead ahead of us - but then what?

Anyway, random thoughts as I say - we're not even in the Promised Land yet. So let's just enjoy the ride - but be mindful of what lies ahead?

'Connections with the players' is an interesting one. Yes it's gradually ebbing away - inevitably. I sometimes wonder how many would return for a reunion in say 5, 10 or 15 years time. I dare say a lower %age than the teams of the 70s/80s.

Hey ho.... Up The Albion!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Oh I see, sure. Splitting hairs, had Solly March signed before we came to the Amex? I suppose with Barker going, and Kasim having gone to Swindon before him, that's more or less all the pre-Amex Youth Team gone.

March signed in Nov 2011, after we'd moved to the Amex.

Kazim was never part of our youth squad, he was 19 when we signed him after his relaease from Spurs and went straight into the development squad.

Off the.top of my head Dunk and JFC are the only two associated with the club in the withdean era players that have come through the youth ranks and are still at the club.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here