Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acid stomach / Omeprazole

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Anyone else take Omeprazole for problem with stomach acid ?

I've not been able to eat properly for 2 months now, lots of vomiting and pain - the pain was so bad on Tues I was rushed to Worthing A&E and put on morphine (quite nice really). The general consensus is that it's excess stomach acid problem, though they are going to do an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to make sure it's nothing else.

This is really debilitating, not wanting to do anything or eat - must have lost a shed load of weight.

So, the question is, does this omeprazole work eventually ? I've been told it may take a while.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Should work inside 48 hours. I've taken it for a long time. Check with your pharmacist and/or GP for interactions with other meds, though. Some of them need a specific acid/base environment in the stomach to be absorbed, and omeprazole can alter that in unintended ways.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Should work inside 48 hours. I've taken it for a long time. Check with your pharmacist and/or GP for interactions with other meds, though. Some of them need a specific acid/base environment in the stomach to be absorbed, and omeprazole can alter that in unintended ways.

Thanks. Everyone I've spoken to is fully aware of my long list of existing meds. I had IV omeprazole in A&E on Tues and between that and the morphine I felt pretty good. My GP says that everyone's different, but it could take up to 2 weeks for this to work properly. Will just have to see how it goes, I guess. Not a lot of fun though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes - I am halfway through a course of 6 months Omeprazole. I've been fortunate not to have it as bad as you (no vomiting but lots of upset stomachs, feeling sick/anaemic).

Mine started about a year ago. I had an incredibly greasy burger and it was an odd feeling as it went through my system - I could FEEL it all the way down, like being pricked with tiny needles. Very painful.

After that I felt sick after pretty much every meal for a few days. Got misdiagnosed a couple of times and finally a doctor figured out it was Gastritis (acid reflux disease). Basically the SPHINCTER between my "food pipe" (the word the doc used, so I'm going with it) and my stomach isn't working very well, so flecks of acid occasionally getinto my food pipe. Our stomach is the only part of our bodies conditioned to handle acid, so if it escapes to other parts it can be very painful and lead to nausea etc.

I've learnt to live with it and through changing (improving) my diet my stomach has improved massively.

The things I find make it flare up are:

Rich red meat - Sausages, bacon, most pork is off the menu, beef doesn't seem too bad.
Alcohol - makes me feel incredibly bloated for hours afterwards
Orange juice - definitely avoided now
Spicy things - logical

Gaviscon after meals can also work wonders. Good luck with yours, it should improve given time.

After a year I'm still not quite rid of it but very nearly, and if it does flare up it's usually my own fault for eating/drinking something I know I shouldn't. It's also meant I've lost about 2 stone. It can be frustrating at times as it really messes with your relationship with food, I stopped enjoying food altogether for a while as I was constantly thinking "is this going to make me feel sick?" but this will improve as your stomach does.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
omeprazole is good and you can take it for a long time, I suffered with excess acid for 20 years before being told about this. went to doctor and been prescribed for 6 years now, you don't forget to take it in the morning as in my case I get terrible acid indigestion by 2pm, only forgot once! you will be surprised how many people are on it.

I've been taking Lansoprazole for a few years now, having been diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia in my early 30s. Same family of drug and I can say it has massivley improved my position. Before taking the drugs I'd struggle with reflux after eating a sandwich, whereas now if i behave i have no problems at all.

Beer and spicy foods still cause problems when trying to sleep at night, so I have a handy bottle of Gaviscon at the ready for the times I misbehave (also referred to as weekends!).

I have a good friend on Omerprazole and he swears by it. As long as no nasty side effects it should sort you out, particuarly after they work out appropriate daily dose.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm on 10mg per day [one tab] - have been on for about 3 years.
Takes 2-3 days before the effect kicks in.

I was suffering severe heartburn, particulalry at night when lying on my back. Was also getting belch / reflux and sneeze within 30 seconds of eating anything.

I did try to stop taking them but problem returned within a couple of days.

You're not diabetic are you? When I was referred to the gastro quack at the hospital for diagnosis he said it was the valve that sits at the neck of the stomach that had become leaky / slack and this was allowing the acid to travel back up the digestive tract. I'm a type 1 IDD and he said it was a common problem with diabetics.

I have no noticeable side effects from taking Omeprazole.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Yes - I am halfway through a course of 6 months Omeprazole. I've been fortunate not to have it as bad as you (no vomiting but lots of upset stomachs, feeling sick/anaemic).

Mine started about a year ago. I had an incredibly greasy burger and it was an odd feeling as it went through my system - I could FEEL it all the way down, like being pricked with tiny needles. Very painful.

After that I felt sick after pretty much every meal for a few days. Got misdiagnosed a couple of times and finally a doctor figured out it was Gastritis (acid reflux disease). Basically the SPHINCTER between my "food pipe" (the word the doc used, so I'm going with it) and my stomach isn't working very well, so flecks of acid occasionally getinto my food pipe. Our stomach is the only part of our bodies conditioned to handle acid, so if it escapes to other parts it can be very painful and lead to nausea etc.

I've learnt to live with it and through changing (improving) my diet my stomach has improved massively.

Rich red meat - Sausages, bacon, most pork is off the menu, beef doesn't seem too bad.
Spicy things - logical

Gaviscon after meals can also work wonders. Good luck with yours, it should improve given time.

After a year I'm still not quite rid of it but very nearly, and if it does flare up it's usually my own fault for eating/drinking something I know I shouldn't. It's also meant I've lost about 2 stone. It can be frustrating at times as it really messes with your relationship with food, I stopped enjoying food altogether for a while as I was constantly thinking "is this going to make me feel sick?" but this will improve as your stomach does.

I've been going through EXACTLY the same thing, and am at exactly the same stage as this.

Mine was triggered by a spicy burger - bizarre, as I've never had any problems with spicy food in the past.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've been going through EXACTLY the same thing, and am at exactly the same stage as this.

Mine was triggered by a spicy burger - bizarre, as I've never had any problems with spicy food in the past.

Are you me? Is this like Fight Club?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Spicy things - logical

Interesting, thanks. I must get some Gavescon - one medic did suggest it, but I tend to be sceptical about over the counter drugs (no real reason for that). I drink virtually no alcohol anyway these days, and I'm not allowed fruit juices due to kidney failure, and must avoid the spicy stuff. Currently eating almost nothing, and vomiting maybe once a day (I don't mind that, I always feel better afterwards). Just working myself up to having a cup of tea, to see hos that goes.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I can vouch for whats been said already. I was suffering from severe stomach cramps and vomiting for a long time, it could not be pinned down to a cause until eventually after endescopy it was found that where my stomach meets my food pipe the hole is too big and therefore my body creates far to much acid in the stomach.

I was prescribed Omeprazole it took a few weeks for it to get itselft into gear but after that my stomach feels much better. As Mellotron says though make sure you avoid certain foods as they will make the cituation worse.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Right at the start I was on a VERY bland diet (Chicken without a strong sauce, veg, rice etc). Slowly introduce more varied food as your stomach improves.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I can vouch for whats been said already. I was suffering from severe stomach cramps and vomiting for a long time, it could not be pinned down to a cause until eventually after endescopy it was found that where my stomach meets my food pipe the hole is too big and therefore my body creates far to much acid in the stomach.

I was prescribed Omeprazole it took a few weeks for it to get itselft into gear but after that my stomach feels much better. As Mellotron says though make sure you avoid certain foods as they will make the cituation worse.

Interesting it took so long to diagnose. For me, when I saw a GP in Nov, and I complained of bloating / pain / vomiting - it was the very first thing she suggested, and now having seen my GP he was exactly the same, as were the medics in A&E on Tues. As I said, they will do an endoscopy, but everyone seemed pretty happy this is the cause. I'm on 40mg at the mo until we can get it under control, but there is a possibility of taking a lower dose ongoing. They have tested me for hyper-pylori (sp?) but that result will take a while to come back - if that comes back positive, it can be treated.

I thought I had my share of medical problems while waiting for a kidney transplant, but it seems not. I'm certainly getting more than my share of NHS resources, though.

I was unofficaily diagnosed by a work colleague who had the same symptoms previously. MAde it useful when I went to the Drs as i could say - do you think it may be 'x'? Sent for endoscopy and was confirmed

I've since met seveeal people with same/similar problem. Really quite common

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was unofficaily diagnosed by a work colleague who had the same symptoms previously. MAde it useful when I went to the Drs as i could say - do you think it may be 'x'? Sent for endoscopy and was confirmed

I've since met seveeal people with same/similar problem. Really quite common

Does seem quite common from what the medics say, but I think I must have quite extreme symptoms at the mo - hopefully it will settle down soonish. I don't mind taking tabs long-term if they do the job, I take enough already, one more is nothing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Anyone else take Omeprazole for problem with stomach acid ?

I've not been able to eat properly for 2 months now, lots of vomiting and pain - the pain was so bad on Tues I was rushed to Worthing A&E and put on morphine (quite nice really). The general consensus is that it's excess stomach acid problem, though they are going to do an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to make sure it's nothing else.

This is really debilitating, not wanting to do anything or eat - must have lost a shed load of weight.

So, the question is, does this omeprazole work eventually ? I've been told it may take a while.

Omeprazole is the cheap end of the anti acid market, its cheap for a reason, it doesn't work very well......I tried it, told the doctor it was no good, he tried me on two others.... cemetidene and something else, in the end Rabeprozole was the one that worked a treat, but they won't give it unless you ask......you are the customer, demand it......I reckon you will be sorted in two to three days.

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
Thanks. Everyone I've spoken to is fully aware of my long list of existing meds. I had IV omeprazole in A&E on Tues and between that and the morphine I felt pretty good. My GP says that everyone's different, but it could take up to 2 weeks for this to work properly. Will just have to see how it goes, I guess. Not a lot of fun though.
Was prescribed Omeprazole 2 years ago for excess acid and then sent for an endoscopy at Worthing hospital. Found a couple of small ulcers, a hiatus hernia which in someone my age is not uncommon. Was also found to be suffering from non hodgkins lymphoma. In November I finished a 5 month course of chemo and now on just 1 20mg of omeprazole a day. Just watching how I eat now and found the best is to eat a little but often. Missing the obvious like curries etc and also been told tomatoes and coffee are a no no. Just glad I went for the endoscope and found something I had no idea I was suffering from. Not to say everyone will be like me but always best to get things checked out. Wish you all the best. Keep us informed.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Was prescribed Omeprazole 2 years ago for excess acid and then sent for an endoscopy at Worthing hospital. Found a couple of small ulcers, a hiatus hernia which in someone my age is not uncommon. Was also found to be suffering from non hodgkins lymphoma. In November I finished a 5 month course of chemo and now on just 1 20mg of omeprazole a day. Just watching how I eat now and found the best is to eat a little but often. Missing the obvious like curries etc and also been told tomatoes and coffee are a no no. Just glad I went for the endoscope and found something I had no idea I was suffering from. Not to say everyone will be like me but always best to get things checked out. Wish you all the best. Keep us informed.

Sounds like things worked out pretty well for you in the end. I've had chemo, but fortunately I was too young to know anything about it. I'm hoping my endoscope doesn't find anything sinister, ulcers wouldn't be too bad, I guess. I'll be happy to modify my diet, but can't keep anything down at the mo, so that's quite tricky.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here