Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Ulloa will be fine"

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Typical non-story used to fill column inches.

Had Oscar sidestepped the question, it may have been perceived that there IS something wrong. Oscar is quite rightly supporting his player.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Crap reporting from someone who sourced this from seagulls player.
Very lazy reporting would be on my school report.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Typical non-story used to fill column inches.

Had Oscar sidestepped the question, it may have been perceived that there IS something wrong. Oscar is quite rightly supporting his player.

Yep spot on. Nothing to read really. The shite side of modern journalism

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Crap reporting from someone who sourced this from seagulls player.
Very lazy reporting would be on my school report.

Lazy reporting may well be on your school report, but surely this comes from the weekly press conference.
Ulloa looked miserable when subbed on Saturday, when he was below par.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe being subbed will fire him up. The fact that he seemed so miffed could be a good thing IMO.

What strikes me about Oscar, in comparison to our recent managers, is that he doesn't seem to have favourites and nobody is guaranteed a start or gets left on the pitch if he is underperforming. The closest he has come to bearing with a player is Bruno when he moved him into midfield when he wasn't playing that well but that was after a long injury lay off when he floundered on his return and we were decimated by injuries. This seems to have worked as Bruno started to look like the player we saw on his arrival before his recent injury once he had some games under his belt.

Even Kuz had to wait before he was handed his place back.

I like the way Oscar seems to pick what he considers his strongest team without favouritism and subbing Ulloa may turn out to be a master move. I think Oscar coming out and backing Ulloa is a good thing but if he continues to underperform he will get subbed again.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not really sure what's wrong with the article. Ulloa is slowly coming back to fitness and looked thoroughly hacked off to come off on Saturday. Why not ask how he is? The anti-Naylor/Argus bias is so over the top sometime s.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Maybe being subbed will fire him up. The fact that he seemed so miffed could be a good thing IMO.

What strikes me about Oscar, in comparison to our recent managers, is that he doesn't seem to have favourites and nobody is guaranteed a start or gets left on the pitch if he is underperforming. The closest he has come to bearing with a player is Bruno when he moved him into midfield when he wasn't playing that well but that was after a long injury lay off when he floundered on his return and we were decimated by injuries. This seems to have worked as Bruno started to look like the player we saw on his arrival before his recent injury once he had some games under his belt.

Even Kuz had to wait before he was handed his place back.

I like the way Oscar seems to pick what he considers his strongest team without favouritism and subbing Ulloa may turn out to be a master move. I think Oscar coming out and backing Ulloa is a good thing but if he continues to underperform he will get subbed again.

Spot on summary I would say!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Strange article that's almost the equivalent of a vote of confidence for a struggling manager!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10939801.Oscar__Ulloa_will_be_fine/

I'm sure it's not something that Oscar would have offered without having been pressed by Naylor, but it's the type of question I'd expect him to side step! FFS he's only gone 3 games without a goal and is returning from a lengthy lay off!

Oscar's just supporting his striker with an honest response; you're the one overreacting.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not true. Bruno is his mate and always starts, even when forced into midfield earlier in the season.

Who would you have played as an experienced creative midfielder/winger instead of Lopez when Orlandi, Lua Lua and Buckley were injured then? Recently Lopez has his place on form imo. He often gets substituted when things aren't going well for him but I think Oscar has been caught between a rock and a hard place with picking a creative playmaker this season, we are not blessed with them and yet with one upfront our style relies on having one in the team.

Bruno in midfield was an experiment that didn't work but I can see why he was tried there.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Who would you have played as an experienced creative midfielder/winger instead of Lopez when Orlandi, Lua Lua and Buckley were injured then? Recently Lopez has his place on form imo. He often gets substituted when things aren't going well for him but I think Oscar has been caught between a rock and a hard place with picking a creative playmaker this season, we are not blessed with them and yet with one upfront our style relies on having one in the team

I said Bruno a defender playing midfield not Lopez. Bruno also got the nod on Calde despite being terrible earlier In the season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I said Bruno a defender playing midfield not Lopez. Bruno also got the nod on Calde despite being terrible earlier In the season.

Calde is a liability when faced with a tricky winger, an out of form Bruno is not much worse, an in form one is light years ahead. I'd pick Bruno over Calde every time :shrug:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Calde is a liability when faced with a tricky winger, an out of form Bruno is not much worse, an in form one is light years ahead. I'd pick Bruno over Calde every time :shrug:

Would you also pick Bruno in midfield (where he was shocking)? Anyway the fact is Bruno has ALWAYS been picked when available just to counteract your point on not having favourites. They are also mates from playing together in Spain. There are even pictures of Oscar wearing Brunos little known clothing label whilst managing Macabi in Israel.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I can't see what is wrong with this article at all. It merely states the bleeding obvious that Leo is coming back from a serious injury and will be eventually get back up to speed. I thought he looked off the pace on saturday and I am sure he was disappointed with his performance but that is just a part of playing yourself back into form.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Would you also pick Bruno in midfield (where he was shocking)? Anyway the fact is Bruno has ALWAYS been picked when available just to counteract your point on not having favourites. They are also mates from playing together in Spain. There are even pictures of Oscar wearing Brunos little known clothing label whilst managing Macabi in Israel.

See what you're saying but Bruno is a quality player who needed game time to get back to his best...imo

Half of NSC would have preferred him to have never played again after his early season form. Oscar was right to persevere with him whether that makes him a favourite is debatable.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
While I agree generally Oscar doesn't seem blinded by favouritism, he continued to start Lopez practically every game even whilst he was suffering a HORRIFIC run of form.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
While I agree generally Oscar doesn't seem blinded by favouritism, he continued to start Lopez practically every game even whilst he was suffering a HORRIFIC run of form.

I'll ask you the same question as I asked Albion Dan, who would you have picked as a creative player earlier in the season when the other experienced players were out injured? Or don't you think we need one?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would've given Kemy and JFC a few more minutes, at least.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here