Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite quotes.

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
What's your favourite or most rememberable quote from a novel? (I'll also open this up to films because it will inevitably go that way)

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
“There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
“Everything in life that’s any fun, as somebody wisely observed, is either immoral, illegal or fattening.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens is. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people may feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine. Our presence automatically liberates others."

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens is. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people may feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine. Our presence automatically liberates others."

Where's that from?

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - rumoured to have been said by Voltaire but more likely stated by Evelyn Beatrice Hall. Either way if Voltaire didn't say it he should well have done so.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
"The bank - the monster has to have profits all the time. It can't wait. It'll die. No, taxes go on. When the monster stops growing, it dies. It can't stay one size." Steinbeck writing about banks, capitalism and the hurt they do to the poor, Grapes of Wrath - 1939!! Always struck me as incredible forsight....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Love the closing lines of Middlemarch

" ... for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"There really is an answer?"
"Yes; there really is an answer. But I don't think you're going to like it."

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
"The Edge...there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

Hunter S Thompson

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Jean Cocteau — 'We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like? '

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My favourite phrase is "The mother of cretins is always pregnant". Not sure if it's ever appeared in a book or film though. "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul." One of hundreds of quotes you could pull out of A Confederacy of Dunces.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The ships hung in the sky, in much the same way as bricks don't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My favourite quote ever was the response Freddie Mercury gave to his assistant who questioned the spiralling costs of his birthday party in Ibiza when he had a cake flown in from Italy - "Budget?, oh do **** off" was the camp dismissal.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Bang bang muthaf*cker :guns:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
"There's a fire sale on at Southampton! There's a fire sale on at Southampton!"
(The Unofficial Southampton FC Yearbook 2014/15)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here