Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling NSC train gurus: Super Off Peak tickets

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, I travelled to Leeds yesterday morning, returning today. I paid £124 for the privilege which bought me a Super Off Peak ticket.

I made sure that, according to the ticketing site, I could return at any time as I wasn't sure what time I would be coming back.

Upon reaching Victoria, I was stopped from getting on a train, being told that Super Off Peak tickets only permit you to travel out of London after 7:15pm. A whole load of other people were being similarly rejected.

I have gone onto Southern's own ticketing site just now and put in the same journey next week, same times, same £124 Super Off Peak ticket. It gives me all options travelling out of London before 7:15pm. The screenshot below illustrates that.

So, what gives? Why are these tickets being sold if station staff refuse to honour them?

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 21.36.36.png

"When can I travel with my Super Off-Peak ticket?

When travelling with Southern, Super Off-Peak tickets allow travel to London Victoria on any train arriving at or after 10:55. Return journeys are permitted at any time except on trains timed to depart London Victoria between 16:15 and 19:15 (inclusive).

The time restrictions for your ticket will vary depending on which Train Operating Company the ticket is valid for. To view what time your ticket is valid for travel, search your journey on southernrailway.com and view the journey details for your various ticket options.

Time restrictions apply to Off-Peak travel on Monday to Friday, but these tickets are valid for travel at any time on Weekends and Bank Holidays."

Taken from the Southern website

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"When can I travel with my Super Off-Peak ticket?

When travelling with Southern, Super Off-Peak tickets allow travel to London Victoria on any train arriving at or after 10:55. Return journeys are permitted at any time except on trains timed to depart London Victoria between 16:15 and 19:15 (inclusive).

The time restrictions for your ticket will vary depending on which Train Operating Company the ticket is valid for. To view what time your ticket is valid for travel, search your journey on southernrailway.com and view the journey details for your various ticket options.

Time restrictions apply to Off-Peak travel on Monday to Friday, but these tickets are valid for travel at any time on Weekends and Bank Holidays."

Taken from the Southern website

Yeah, thanks. I read that myself after the event.

Why do Southern sell Super Off Peak tickets that include legs of the journey that contravene that? Tickets that people, such as me, buy in good faith without checking any small print.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Usually, off-peak restrictions do not apply if travelling beyond or from stations beyond London. I frequently travel back from Brighton in the morning rush hour back to Bristol after midweek games. Never had any problem with Southern of FCC.

Northstand CAT

Apr 3, 2012
BN3
Yeah it's just London where your restricted from departing before 19:15. Think they still sell the ticket as it would have been valid if for example, you changed at Stevenage, then again at Reading, then at Southampton and travelled back along the coast to Durrington. Would have taken about 10 hours to get home though!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah it's just London where your restricted from departing before 19:15. Think they still sell the ticket as it would have been valid if for example, you changed at Stevenage, then again at Reading, then at Southampton and travelled back along the coast to Durrington. Would have taken about 10 hours to get home though!

But in my example above, you can see the return leg being quoted is through London.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Splitting the journey into 2 legs and buying 4 separate singles can sometimes work out cheaper , the downside is you have to travel on the specified train journey.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here