Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sex o'clock news!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Watching the BBC Six o 'clock news for the first time in ages and almost every story is of sex abuse! I know its an utterly discusting crime but surely this kind of news at tea time could be limited seeing kids are still up . There must be other news to tell!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No children are watching the news and even if they were a better education about what sex abuse is certainly cannot hurt.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
No children are watching the news and even if they were a better education about what sex abuse is certainly cannot hurt.

I'm no way saying this subject should be taboo but virtual blanket coverage over the whole programme seems to me to be a tad too much.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I find it odd that they've scheduled all the trials to begin all on the same day, any reason for this? In relation to your point I've watched the news since I was a toddler, didn't understand half of what was going on for a long while though so children will be fine. Like Husty says, a bit of education won't hurt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I caught the tail end of something suggested that children should be discouraged from cuddling grand parents and shaking hands instead, I couldnt believe my ears

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I thought it strange all 3 cases starting same day and Freddie Star arrested yet again

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why does the BBC insist on putting the trials in the "Entertainment & Arts" section of the website?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Watching the BBC Six o 'clock news for the first time in ages and almost every story is of sex abuse! I know its an utterly discusting crime but surely this kind of news at tea time could be limited seeing kids are still up . There must be other news to tell!

The latest results are in :

Reported deaths and injuries

Pakistan 2004–2013
CIA Drone Strikes

Total strikes: 381
Obama strikes: 330
Total killed: 2,537-3,646
Civilians killed: 416-951
Children killed: 168-200
Injured: 1,128-1,557

Trying to get official figures for Afganistaan and Iraq but they won't publish them for some reason.

Couple of dodgy ones recently - a wedding again and a factory.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I was going write a long winded response detailing the many reasons why this should be reported in the news, Instead I will just say "meh" and :ffsparr:

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks it must be very hard to convict someone of something that happened so many years ago?
Also I wonder why it is that all those years ago why it seems that the police had no interest in such cases, brushing them under the carpet it, but now they seem to take pleasure in making sure the press are aware of all lines of investigation involving celebrities.
Don't get me wrong here, if they are guilty no matter how long ago then should suffer the consequences, but if the is no more than one persons version of a story against another's then it's a tough decision for a jury even if a short time has elapsed yet alone 30 plus years.
I'm just trying to put myself in the position of a juror, in the absence of witnesses and forensic evidence how is it possible to make a choice and not be guessing or be influenced by public opinion?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting on radio 5 live this morning Nicky Campbell and the team were reviewing the papers and he opened with..." We are not allowed to report what everyone else is talking about".

I wonder what all that is about...bbc tv have blanket coverage!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Yup, thought exactly the same. Hardly a single non-sex-abuse story in the whole bulletin. Head-mental.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Am I the only one who thinks it must be very hard to convict someone of something that happened so many years ago?
Also I wonder why it is that all those years ago why it seems that the police had no interest in such cases, brushing them under the carpet it, but now they seem to take pleasure in making sure the press are aware of all lines of investigation involving celebrities.
Don't get me wrong here, if they are guilty no matter how long ago then should suffer the consequences, but if the is no more than one persons version of a story against another's then it's a tough decision for a jury even if a short time has elapsed yet alone 30 plus years.
I'm just trying to put myself in the position of a juror, in the absence of witnesses and forensic evidence how is it possible to make a choice and not be guessing or be influenced by public opinion?

My thoughts also. These cases always make me feel uneasy. (Michael Le Vell) Kevin Webster!!

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
The news isn't just the news, it's also a way of telling the masses what is right and wrong. We all know that war is wrong but it is happening thousands of miles away so unfortunately to most of us it is less relevant / interesting than Dave Lee Travis grabbing someone's boobs live on air.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
The news isn't just the news, it's also a way of telling the masses what is right and wrong. We all know that war is wrong but it is happening thousands of miles away so unfortunately to most of us it is less relevant / interesting than Dave Lee Travis grabbing someone's boobs live on air.

In this day and age I think folk know the rights and wrong of cases like this, or at least I certainly hope so.
We lived in different world back then and I think society can be proud that we have moved on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here