Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton in chaos

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Will they have to pay back the money he's spent on the club?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
and we thought that we had had some shit since the end of last season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Markus Liebherr's daughter Katharina sees Southampton FC as her late father's personal plaything which she has inherited and now it is time to dispose of.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This has been waiting to happen since Liebherr died and probably before. ( vanity owner ) What I don't understand is Pochettino saying he will leave if the Chairman (Accountant/ Financial advisor) does.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Whats the betting that Pochettino has now mastered some classy Anglo-Saxon language about now ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This has been waiting to happen since Liebherr died and probably before. ( vanity owner ) What I don't understand is Pochettino saying he will leave if the Chairman (Accountant/ Financial advisor) does.

Pochetino has known Cortese for years, and it was he who brought him into the club.

I think that your description of Markus Liebherr as a 'vanity owner' is unfair. He did have links with the area - he built his fortune in part, off the back of cranes and machinery sold into Southampton docks.

I believe that his intentions for the club were entirely honourable - the problem being that as the family had no history of involvement / attachment, they do not view it in the same way.

The family stand to make a decent profit. The club was bought for £14m. Not sure what they'd have spent over the last few years, but as a Premier League club, it must be worth upwards of £100m now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the plus side you've got to say they're attractive to a potential investor - comfortably mid-table with plenty of young, saleable players, great academy, healthy crowd, newish stadium, good football pedigree, close to London and a near neighbour on the point of going out of business.

This could be one of the most spectacular of falls if it really did go tits up.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Pochetino has known Cortese for years, and it was he who brought him into the club.

I think that your description of Markus Liebherr as a 'vanity owner' is unfair. He did have links with the area - he built his fortune in part, off the back of cranes and machinery sold into Southampton docks.

I believe that his intentions for the club were entirely honourable - the problem being that as the family had no history of involvement / attachment, they do not view it in the same way.

The family stand to make a decent profit. The club was bought for £14m. Not sure what they'd have spent over the last few years, but as a Premier League club, it must be worth upwards of £100m now.

They have some players that could go for quite a few millions for starters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They have some players that could go for quite a few millions for starters

Absolutely.

Lambert rumoured to be subject of £8m bid.

The youngsters are highly saleable:
Shaw £10m+
Chambers, Ward-Prowse 4m each?

Lallana £10m?
Rodriguez £8-10m?

Lovren, Ramirez, etc, etc.

The club as a whole must be worth a lot more than £100m, then.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Pochettino is only there because he has a good working relationship with Cortese and they have known each other for years. He believes his position would be untenable if Cortese resigns or the Liebherr family becomes more directly involved or a new owner takes control.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here