Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt & Buckley ... SELL! SELL! SELL!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just that really, sell the pair of them asap.

Bridcutt is replaceable, Ince and or Andrews can do almost as good a job as defensive midfielders. Quite frankly anybody who doesn't want to be at the club might as well go, as we won't get the best out of them.

As for Buckley, what a let down he has been, in his third season with the club, he has promised so much, and yet delivered so little. Yes he has been brilliant in a few games, but not nearly enough, and l would expect far more consistency in a player who cost us a seven figure fee.

Amazed the club didn't accept the bid from Sunderland. Bridcutt won't attract a bid of more than about £2.5/3 and Buckley, well, l would have driven him north personally for the £1.75 that was on the table.

Go on ridicule me for my views, l've got thick skin!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm inclined to agree regarding Bridcutt. Would sell for £3 million. Buckley, I'm less sure about. I think he needs a run of games to get going - but of course, with his injury problems, we haven't managed to get this out of him, certainly this season. When fully fit he is a real asset and so for that reason I'd like us to keep him. He's still relatively young and if he can get over the niggles, perhaps with some tailored training or something, he can be an excellent player.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Bridcutt possibly, but i really don't see this need to sell Buckley - if we sold all the players that didn't live up to their potential, we would have only had 10 players for the past 15 or so years.

Also; carte blanche to ridicule you? Take a ticket, everyone and form an orderly queue.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Have said all along I would sell Liam Bridcutt for £3million.

Will Buckley's value is harder to define and also depends largely on information about his injuries which we fans don't have access to.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Have said all along I would sell Liam Bridcutt for £3million.

Will Buckley's value is harder to define and also depends largely on information about his injuries which we fans don't have access to.

I agree re Bridcutt, I cannot understand why this deal is being dragged out to be honest, surely it is in the best interest of all concerned to conclude the deal quickly. As for Buckley sadly he has not been himself this season and you wonder whether he can ever recover his early form for us. Any decent offer for him should surely be considered seriously.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree on Bridcutt.

I also agree that it might be time to cut our losses on Buckley who is inconsistent and injury prone. However, a good 2nd half of the season and his value will rocket

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Buckley is expected to have long term injury problems, I expect he'd fail the medical. If he's not, I think he's already an excellent player, and will become even better. He doesn't perform that well when returning from injury, but who does. Once he's up to match fitness, I think he's brilliant, and will have no problem in the premier league. If he gets past his hamstring injuries, I think we'd see him sold in the future and regret letting him go for under £2m.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
I agree re Bridcutt, I cannot understand why this deal is being dragged out to be honest, surely it is in the best interest of all concerned to conclude the deal quickly.

I reckon the hold up is more to do with Sunderland than ourselves. Their priority this window has to be a centre forward and getting the right man in will be the difference between them staying up or not imho. GP will have a limited budget in this window and probably wants to insure he has sufficent money for the right striker b4 upping the LB bid.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Buckley got a bit lucky in his first season with us. EVERYTHING went for him. Yes, he played very well but I think a lot of things "sat up" for him and he "got the rub of the green".

I don't think he's QUITE as good a player as that season suggested.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Buckley got a bit lucky in his first season with us. EVERYTHING went for him. Yes, he played very well but I think a lot of things "sat up" for him and he "got the rub of the green".

I don't think he's QUITE as good a player as that season suggested.

While I agree with a big chunk of that I think this seasons poor performances/form are partly due to him being played far too centrally or worse still on the left.

His best games for us have always been while playing on the right and hugging the touch line, he drifts far too centrally now and this for me makes him far less threatening. We also seem to have the tendency to play the ball behind him far too often meaning he is facing the wrong goal when he receives the ball.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
While I agree with a big chunk of that I think this seasons poor performances/form are partly due to him being played far too centrally or worse still on the left.

His best games for us have always been while playing on the right and hugging the touch line, he drifts far too centrally now and this for me makes him far less threatening. We also seem to have the tendency to play the ball behind him far too often meaning he is facing the wrong goal when he receives the ball.

I do agree that Oscar hasn't found the best way to use him, and seems to have gotten much more out of Kaz, when a couple of years ago I would've said Buckley was far the brighter prospect.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
The only thing I can add re Buckley's injuries is that he had the same issues at Watford. A bloke I used to work with is a season ticket holder at Watford. When Buckley was on his way to us, he said then that he was a good player, but always injured. Real shame. I enjoy watching him play for us, but if a club was going to offer us a million or 2 for him, I'd say we would be mad not to take it.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Just that really, sell the pair of them asap.
Bridcutt is replaceable, Ince and or Andrews can do almost as good a job as defensive midfielders.

Not sure we should ever aim to have players almost as good as the ones we've got. Surely we want to be getting better.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not sure we should ever aim to have players almost as good as the ones we've got. Surely we want to be getting better.

True, but we would be pocketing £2m too if we had accepted the Sunderland bid for Bridcutt, and we could do so much with that money, bring Conway back maybe?, sign Joe Mason?

Ultimately it's forwards and the goals they score that win football matches, and promotion.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
IF Sunderland, or any other club for that matter, meet our valuations of Liam and Will THEN we will sell, otherwise they're going nowhere. NOT a good idea to sell your top players too low, is it?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
True, but we would be pocketing £2m too if we had accepted the Sunderland bid for Bridcutt, and we could do so much with that money, bring Conway back maybe?, sign Joe Mason?

Ultimately it's forwards and the goals they score that win football matches, and promotion.

Cardiff will keep Conway and Mason for the cup weekend at the end of the month.
I expect we won't be able to finalise any deal (s) with Sunderland until then either so it will be all down to the final hours of the window with no additions ahead of Derby or Burnley........crucial games.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think we will do a deal to sell both if it's on the table but with Buckley at least genuinely injured (who knows the truth about Bridcutt?) and Johnson finding form will Sunderland want them both?

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here