Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recruitment this season

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In the summer there appeared to be a fair degree of confusion as to who was actually directing the Albion's recruitment of players and how much influence the manager had on it. I thought it might be interesting to review our summer business and make some conclusions on the success or otherwise of the summer business.

So in order of squad number

Keith Andrews - loan (Bolton)

I suspected that he was brought in over the summer anticpating that Bridcutt was moving then. The pleasing development of Ince has meant we haven't needed him as much as we thought. Seems a very reliable sort though, decent in possesion & wholehearted. With Bridcutt likely to go & Crofts out for the season we will probably be relying on him a little more in the 2nd half of the season.

Kemy Agustein - undislosed fee (Swansea)

A frustrating half season so far. He has the occasional flash of brilliance but now we are in January he really should be looking a little less sluggish. Big improvements needed in the 2nd half of the season

Adam Chicksen - undiscolsed fee (Mk Dons)

Showed himself to be extremely competent in the Reading game, though aside from that we've not seen a lot of him. There is a place up for grabs at left back if Ward doesn't come back for next year, Chicksen will have to have more chances in the 2nd half of the season for us to start trusting him as much as that.

Stephen Ward - loan (Wolves)

He's no Wayne Bridge but at this level, but aside from the man himself who is? A top end of the Championship fullback who is a good all rounder in attack and defence. I'd like to know how much we are paying him though, I suspect Wolves were paying some pretty daft wages.

Matthew Upson - free transfer (Stoke)

Mr consistency, a stand out performer for the entire season. The only worry for me would be how much juice has he got left in the tank.

David Lopez - free transfer (free agent)

He's not had the best of seasons so far but has maintained the manager's faith which suggests to me he is training well. Came into his own in the 2nd half of last season and we have to hope he does the same this year. Given the choice of signing him or not signing him again, I'd plump for the latter at the moment, just.

Leroy Lita - loan (Swansea)

Didn't really get a chance, however, if we are being charitable to management, he seemed to give Barnes a good kick up the bum that led to a series of Barnes' best performances in an Albion shirt. An opportunity wasted IMO.

First thing to say is I think it's fairly clear that whatever list these players came from it wasn't one that Snr Garcia brought over with him. Overall, it definately could have been worse, the key positions where we needed first team strengthening (CB & LB) were addressed well. Some of the other business is looking a little dubious currently.#

EDIT: Craig Conway - loan (Cardiff)

After a slow start, his loan expired as he was coming into his own. Excellent crosser of the ball, it would have been nice to see him sending them over to Ulloa. Would definately like to see him back.

6/10.

Over to you....

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
In the summer there appeared to be a fair degree of confusion as to who was actually directing the Albion's recruitment of players and how much....
First thing to say is I think it's fairly clear that whatever list these players came from it wasn't one that Snr Garcia brought over with him. Overall, it definately could have been worse, the key positions where we needed first team strengthening (CB & LB) were addressed well. Some of the other business is looking a little dubious currently.

6/10.

Over to you....

Apart from Lita, which are looking dubious?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I'd disagree about Upson for me has got better as the season has progressed. I also think Augustien will be a massive player for the rest of the season.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Conway?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Apart from Lita, which are looking dubious?

I know there were murmurs of content regarding Agustein after the Reading game, I just didn't see it personally. We need a lot more from him. Lopez has been dining out on a few isolated moments & Andrews probably hasn't had the chances he would have wanted.

The good news is, we really didn't spend very much so it was low risk stuff anyway.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I know there were murmurs of content regarding Agustein after the Reading game, I just didn't see it personally. We need a lot more from him. Lopez has been dining out on a few isolated moments & Andrews probably hasn't had the chances he would have wanted.

The good news is, we really didn't spend very much so it was low risk stuff anyway.

Upson, Andrews, Agustien, Ward, Conway and Lita will all have been on a hefty wedge having come from PL clubs (or on PL legacy contracts). I'm sure it has cost us a few quid.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think you've got this about right, SHC and, as much as I like him, I'd also just not renew SD's contract in the summer. But it is up to him to convert us with his performances in the second half of the season.
My only minor quibbles would be that you've under-evaluated both Upson -- who has probably been our PotS thus far, him or Crofts -- and Agustein. I think he's done alright, and its injuries and his initial bulk that has slowed down his development. I have high hopes for him but, as with SD, it's up to him to convince on that front.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Words cannot convey how much I love Matthew Upson, he has been outstanding almost every moment of this season, a picture of calm who continues to show his Premier League class week in week out. He's definitely earn't himself a new deal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Words cannot convey how much I love Matthew Upson, he has been outstanding almost every moment of this season, a picture of calm who continues to show his Premier League class week in week out. He's definitely earn't himself a new deal.

I'm with you on this. Apart from a few shaky moments in the first ten or so minutes against Blackpool last season, I can't really remember him doing much wrong. His reading of the game is quite simply exceptional at this level. I'm not quite sure why so many on NSC bang on about the brilliance of Bridge and can't see what Upson does week-in, week-out. It might just be that Bridge is no longer with us (but with the treatment table, rather than doing the business for Adkins).

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm with you on this. Apart from a few shaky moments in the first ten or so minutes against Blackpool last season, I can't really remember him doing much wrong. His reading of the game is quite simply exceptional at this level. I'm not quite sure why so many on NSC bang on about the brilliance of Bridge and can't see what Upson does week-in, week-out. It might just be that Bridge is no longer with us (but with the treatment table, rather than doing the business for Adkins).

There seems to be an obsession on NSC with signing a "pacy centre-back" when Upson's skill at reading the game means there is no need for this. A signing for the long term maybe but despite what some seem to think we don't need an immediate replacement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here