Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Infinity/Openreach in Central Brighton

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Moving into the new flats that have been built on the site of the old children's hospital.

Trying to get BT Infinity sorted for when we move, but their site + others seem to conclude we can't get Infinity/Fibre-Optic.
I'm not sure if this is because it can't recognise the postcode (as its brand new) or because we don't have a landline yet (holding off to see if we can get Infinity to go with BT/Virgin, if not go with Sky) and BT have provided no help whatsoever, told me to speak to Openreach, then gave me their number which is disconnected. Checking out postcodes around it, they can all get Infinity, but not us...It couldn't really be any more central in Brighton, so I'm stumped as to why we couldn't get it...

Couple of questions:

Does anybody have a number through to Openreach? I've tried googling and all i get are scam phone numbers and their site doesn't help at all

Anybody else had an issue similar to this? (Our postcode for the new building is BN1 3GZ - examples I used of nearby postcodes that get infinity is BN1 3FG + BN1 3HF)

We have an openreach box in one of the cupboards in the new flat. I dont know what this means, but is it relevant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) over to you

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Right, how long have you got.

BT Openreach are the back end supplier of your phone line whether you use Talk Talk, BT, Sky whomever. Customers cannot contact Openreach directly just the supplier who provides the service. If it’s a new building, chances are that it is fibre ready but you are victim of the whole BT O/R database/ Royal mail addressing issues.

I’ll run your post code through the availability checker I have where I work (I don’t work for BT) and see what comes out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Right, how long have you got.

BT Openreach are the back end supplier of your phone line whether you use Talk Talk, BT, Sky whomever. Customers cannot contact Openreach directly just the supplier who provides the service. If it’s a new building, chances are that it is fibre ready but you are victim of the whole BT O/R database/ Royal mail addressing issues.

This ! In simple terms BTOR manage the infrastructure on behalf of ALL the end suppliers - BT, BT Global Services, Sky, Talk Talk etc. You, as a customer, would never have a need to contact them. Not forgetting part of the reason for this is OFCOM rules - the government interfering in a supposedly free market.

EDIT regards your postcode issue, BT "can" use latitude and longitude details to tell but won't tell you this ( and often refuse to do so because it is a pain in the backside for them ).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The good news for you is that your address (post code, gives me a choice of approx 35 flats) comes back as gold with Openreach (i.e it exists in their systems as well as numerous others such as emergency services D/B) so you will be able to get service easily enough

The bad news is that its not coming back as fibre ready on the reseller website which is bizarre as you definately live in an area which is Fibre ready (according to broadband availability checker below you can get BT FTTC = Fibre to the Cabinet)

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

You are going to have to do battle with a call centre of choice I think. Sorry. E-mail them a picture of the fibre connection on the BT box as proof they are talking bobins when they quote you can't have it.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
The good news for you is that your address (post code, gives me a choice of approx 35 flats) comes back as gold with Openreach (i.e it exists in their systems as well as numerous others such as emergency services D/B) so you will be able to get service easily enough

The bad news is that its not coming back as fibre ready on the reseller website which is bizarre as you definately live in an area which is Fibre ready (according to broadband availability checker below you can get BT FTTC = Fibre to the Cabinet)

You are going to have to do battle with a call centre of choice I think. Sorry. E-mail them a picture of the fibre connection on the BT box as proof they are talking bobins when they quote you can't have it.

many thanks for looking into this

when you say email them a picture of the box, is that the openreach box thats in my cupboard?

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
many thanks for looking into this

when you say email them a picture of the box, is the openreach box thats in my cupboard?

Yeah, depending on what it is there maybe some fibre connectors or ports on it which would emphasise the point. That said, some broadband providers don't even give Call centre agents e-mail access (Security risk if they have access to names and addresses and can e-mail these out if they desire) so even that is not as straightforward as you would think.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does anybody have a number through to Openreach?
You can't call them, but you can contact them by email, and they do reply.

Customers cannot contact Openreach directly just the supplier who provides the service.
I started this thread, as I was trying to find out when I'd get BT Infinity:
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ou-get-BT-Infinity-at-your-address&highlight=

and then contacted Openreach at this email address:
nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk
and got a quick reply. Still no sign of a cabinet though.

I’ll run your post code through the availability checker I have where I work (I don’t work for BT) and see what comes out.
Oo, could you run mine through too please? BN32DB

Aug 21, 2011
Sorry to Hi jack your thread but I am looking at other providers in order to move from SKY, you mention you wanted infinity to go with Virgin (I assume TV). from what I can tell looking at their web site, Virgin force you to take out the phone and therefore pay line rental, which would also need to be paid with BT. Is this correct or does anyone know different??? As I would not mind having BT Vision along with Virgin media TV.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
We're over in Seven Dials, Brighton and still cant get fibre optic... lucky to get 4mbs. Something to do with not being near some box???

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This business is so annoying:

This website
tells me that FTTC should be available at my post-code,

and this one confirms that BT infinity is available at my post-code
http://www.comparebroadband.co.uk/home-broadband/

But when I try to register (today) with BT Infinity, I get an email which tells me:

"Thanks for asking us about BT Infinity.
We're sorry, but it's not available in your neighbourhood yet. But we are working hard to roll it out to homes around the UK. Getting BT Infinity to your home depends on a number of things - like whether your exchange supports BT Infinity and whether your street cabinet and phone line have been enabled.
What happens next?
We'll email you when BT Infinity is available to you. "

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Sorry to Hi jack your thread but I am looking at other providers in order to move from SKY, you mention you wanted infinity to go with Virgin (I assume TV). from what I can tell looking at their web site, Virgin force you to take out the phone and therefore pay line rental, which would also need to be paid with BT. Is this correct or does anyone know different??? As I would not mind having BT Vision along with Virgin media TV.

I think you've confused yourself slightly - BT Vision and VM TV are competing products supplied with their own fibre. If Virgin don't have fibre in your area ( and I'm not sure they do in Saltdean ) then you can't use them. Likewise if BT don't have fibre in your area then you won't be able to use them either. Infinity is the brand name used for their fibre service - you don't get Virgin on Infinity fibre.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

no, we're not looking at those companies for their tv services, just fibre-optic broadband. its just that sky have a very good rate for standard broadband and also offer fibre optic, and virgin is meant to be good for their internet, and then of course there is bt infinity

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
worrying...thats where the flats are

I think I know where you're referring to... We've got a set of new houses behind a main road - apparently they didn't connect us up to the box for various reasons but its on the cards to be done. Whether this happens I doubt it. I think they refer to it as the 'exchange point'? If anyone knows more I would be a very keen listener!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We're over in Seven Dials, Brighton and still cant get fibre optic... lucky to get 4mbs. Something to do with not being near some box???

Try Virgin - using a postcode for Montpelier Crescent they say you can get 120mb fibre based broadband.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I moved recently and tried a broadband tester site and it said up to 4mb due to location. This was wrong.
Ended up going with BT and are currently getting 63mb fibre. Have had no issues with them.

At my old address I was previously with Virgin and will never use them again. Service would drop out on occasion and at peek times of the day, speed was (very) limited.
On top of this there customer services are rude and hung up on me when I attempted to cancel my package. They then threatened to charge me £150 if I didn't return all their equipment. (which was 4-5 years old and not worth a thing.) I then got a barrage of junk mail and nuisance calls asking me to return and have since changed my mobile number. Avoid like the plague!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looks like you can get Fibre. Gold address so exists in all systems and in an FTTC area which is picked up by the system with packages available.
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to check for me, much appreciated. But... I think you work system must be knackered? We still have the old cabinet at the top of the road, a new one hasn't been put in yet. And the online checks say I'm cabinet 36 (which I think was confirmed), and that hasn't been changed yet. What do you think it causing the discrepancy between what you're seeing, and what I'm seeing?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Moving into the new flats that have been built on the site of the old children's hospital.

Trying to get BT Infinity sorted for when we move, but their site + others seem to conclude we can't get Infinity/Fibre-Optic.
I'm not sure if this is because it can't recognise the postcode (as its brand new) or because we don't have a landline yet (holding off to see if we can get Infinity to go with BT/Virgin, if not go with Sky) and BT have provided no help whatsoever, told me to speak to Openreach, then gave me their number which is disconnected. Checking out postcodes around it, they can all get Infinity, but not us...It couldn't really be any more central in Brighton, so I'm stumped as to why we couldn't get it...

Couple of questions:

Does anybody have a number through to Openreach? I've tried googling and all i get are scam phone numbers and their site doesn't help at all

Anybody else had an issue similar to this? (Our postcode for the new building is BN1 3GZ - examples I used of nearby postcodes that get infinity is BN1 3FG + BN1 3HF)

We have an openreach box in one of the cupboards in the new flat. I dont know what this means, but is it relevant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) over to you

I can categorically conclude that you will get it no problem. Take my word on it and I should know.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to check for me, much appreciated. But... I think you work system must be knackered? We still have the old cabinet at the top of the road, a new one hasn't been put in yet. And the online checks say I'm cabinet 36 (which I think was confirmed), and that hasn't been changed yet. What do you think it causing the discrepancy between what you're seeing, and what I'm seeing?

They don't change the cabinet, they install an additional one. It's not always next to the existing cab. Mine, for example, is about 30 yards up the road. Have a look for another green box, about a metre high, dark green and there will be ventilation slots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here