Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hit/caught/headed ball in the stand? Join the OFFICIAL squad of unsung Albion "players".

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Hit/caught/headed ball in the stand? Join the OFFICIAL squad of unsung Albion "players".

This is a thread to recognise the unsung Albion "players" who catch, fetch, or get hit by the match ball during an Albion match. Special credit goes to anyone who has headed the ball back onto the pitch from the stands.

Stray shots during the warm up don't count.

As you may have guessed, I'm bored today. :albion2:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Caught a few and fetched a couple in pre-seasons down the years. haven't had the opportunity to head one back mind.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On February 8th, our next home game, I suspect the players might need to be wary of the stray ball from Jason Puncheon's penalty.

However, I still bear the scar across the bridge of my nose from when the ball hit me straight in the face in 1983. It was during the warm-up, and I was down at the front of the Goldstone North Stand, and was nose-up against the perimeter fence when the ball hit me, digging the fence into my nose.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If a ball makes its way up to the central WSU I shall be throwing myself at it to win the header, complete with the time honoured Sunday league instruction of putting my name on it first. If I end up going over a few rows in front of me then so be it

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Caught a few and fetched a couple in pre-seasons down the years. haven't had the opportunity to head one back mind.

Squad number 1 for you then.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
If a ball makes its way up to the central WSU I shall be throwing myself at it to win the header, complete with the time honoured Sunday league instruction of putting my name on it first. If I end up going over a few rows in front of me then so be it

And who, pray tell (also in time honoured Sunday league tradition), will be battling for the second ball whilst you plummet into the 1901ers?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Caught a stray ball in to our lot at Exeter about 5 years ago around Christmas time. I got a round of applause

I was hit in the face by a shot from Paul Gascoigne in the south stand at the Goldstone. It flew into the crowd a few seats to the left of me where a bloke punched it and it flew off at right angles, almost decapitating Commander, before hitting me on the nose. My instinctive and perfectly cushioned header looped gently back into the keeper's arms. Of course my memory could be a bit hazy, especially after the ball hit me.

Not at Brighton, but years ago (1996 ish) I was watching Telford play at their old ground with my brother who lives up there, a stray clearance came looping towards me and I headed it back with enough power to reach the penalty area.

I got a round of applause and a rendition of "Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up"

Strange really as heading was never my strong suit.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I was hit in the face by a shot from Paul Gascoigne in the south stand at the Goldstone. It flew into the crowd a few seats to the left of me where a bloke punched it and it flew off at right angles, almost decapitating Commander, before hitting me on the nose. My instinctive and perfectly cushioned header looped gently back into the keeper's arms. Of course my memory could be a bit hazy, especially after the ball hit me.

Flair player. Squad number 10 for you fella.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
When I was a ball boy in the 80's

We played Fulham I think and I think it was Terry Mancini who kicked out of play into the air. As it came back down to earth, I positioned myself under the ball, ready to catch it in the perfect Graham Moseley style...you know arms bent in a perfect L-shape so that there would be no chance of letting the ball slip through and so making it look as though I could be the next Albion number 1...

Unfortunately, I misjudged the flight completely and rather than catching it, the ball landed squarely in my face and bounced from there onto the West Terracing to the cheer of "hooray!"

If I ever find out that it was any of you feckers on here who cheered, I would warn you that I'm now 6 ft 5 and built like a brick sh1t house and it's my dying wish to hunt each and every one of you down...

...I still can't catch though!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would love to head it back. As shaolinpunk says - I would launch myself at it.

We went with some of Jim in the West's extended family to a match at Gillingham - and it was the daughters first match - she was about seven I should think. During the game the ball pops over the wall behind the ball and she catches at and throws it back as if that sort of thing happens all the time. Amazing. In all my years I have never touched the match ball.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In all my years I have never touched the match ball.
This. And I can remember DESPERATELY wanting to at one point (during the age of the white Mitre Multiplex...) ...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not me personally but a friend(who used to read NSC but perhaps doesnt anymore) caught and kept the match ball from the JPT cup game away(but technically home) to Brentford circa 2000. To make it that little bit 'sweeter' it was the decisive missed penalty(by Brighton, naturally) that knocked us out of the competition.*

*My memory is a little hazy on this, it might not have been the decisive penalty miss...but I'm pretty sure it was.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Mid 1970s I deflected a Tony Towner miscontrol into my Mum's cup of coffee with my face. Front row of the shelfy bit on the chicken run at the Goldstone, you know where I mean.

Mum appeared more worried about being covered in coffee than the copious quantities of claret coming out of my nose! I cried - thanks Mum!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We went with some of Jim in the West's extended family to a match at Gillingham - and it was the daughters first match - she was about seven I should think. During the game the ball pops over the wall behind the ball and she catches at and throws it back as if that sort of thing happens all the time. Amazing. In all my years I have never touched the match ball.

And just to follow the first visit to the football story ..................... the next home game - her photo was in the programme.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I got a hand to the ball just before it smashed the window of the Radio Sussex/Brighton commentary box on the NW terrace during "that" Spurs match in 1978

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here