Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick Tunnel

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
CRASH! AGAIN! Just had a phone call from the missus, blocked west bound. How unusual?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm sat in the queue right now. Been completely stationary for a while now, and seen at least three fire engines, two ambulances and four police cars go past. I imagine I'll be here for some time

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Car overturned!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Car on it's roof in the tunnel, 5 mile tailbacks and increasing. Westbound.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I really don't get it, either West or Eastbound that road is fine, certainly not as bad as the old Seven dials roundabout/junction and the Vague Gyratory "system ". It just seems to be having a lot of bad luck at the moment.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I really don't get it, either West or Eastbound that road is fine, certainly not as bad as the old Seven dials roundabout/junction and the Vague Gyratory "system ". It just seems to be having a lot of bad luck at the moment.

It's the alien technology hidden down there. Every now and then their anti-gravity generators misfire and cause accidents.

Aug 21, 2011
Its peoples inability to drive at a reasonable speed and negotiate a curves in the road at the same time. Thats the reason Handcross Hill has been dug up for the last few years.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I'm sat in the queue right now. Been completely stationary for a while now, and seen at least three fire engines, two ambulances and four police cars go past. I imagine I'll be here for some time
I was quite near the back. Saw the taillghts just after the Portslade turnoff:down:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
If cars collided in the tunnel then someone must have pulled out on someone else attempting an overtake. At least that's my theory anyway.....

And you're not allowed to change lanes in the tunnel, there's signs up before you enter telling you so, so hopefully someone will have their wrists slapped and get done for dangerous driving.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Its peoples inability to drive at a reasonable speed and negotiate a curves in the road at the same time. Thats the reason Handcross Hill has been dug up for the last few years.

I don't think that's the main reason for all the crashes. If anything it's people driving unreasonably slow in the left lane as you go round the corner because they're shitting themselves, which in turn causes other drivers to try make what can be a tricky overtaking manoeuvre into much faster traffic in the right lane.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Your two examples have speeds of about 5 MPH, whereas at the Tunnel they are often doing 80MPH+

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If cars collided in the tunnel then someone must have pulled out on someone else attempting an overtake. At least that's my theory anyway.....

And you're not allowed to change lanes in the tunnel, there's signs up before you enter telling you so, so hopefully someone will have their wrists slapped and get done for dangerous driving.

There's a sign saying "Lane control signals ahead" but no "no lane changing" signs.

They should repaint the lines inside the tunnel though to thesolid double whites.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I was in it on the way to work, I was stuck in the traffic for around an hour. I was on the way to littlehampton which should of been an 30 minute drive but turned out to be a 2 hour drive. I got near the tunnel then that's where the que started and I was obviously pas the hangleton turn off and got stuck then they closed that road causing mayhem.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think that's the main reason for all the crashes. If anything it's people driving unreasonably slow in the left lane as you go round the corner because they're shitting themselves, which in turn causes other drivers to try make what can be a tricky overtaking manoeuvre into much faster traffic in the right lane.

Its a section of the A27 starting with the run up to the Hove turn off and ends with the Shoreham Airport lights which is really up and down and features cars slowing down more than they realise due to the hills, and in turn others putting their foot down to compensate ending up going a bit faster. You're dead right, that on the approach to the West bound tunnel, people tend to slow down on the inside lane, whereas the outside lane people are speeding up as they're on a descent from the Portslade turn off. Seen a fair few near misses as people in the left lane misjudge the speed of those coming past in the outside lane and cause lots of braking.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wonder whether people drive too fast in that section between Brighton and Worthing because they know the Worthing end is a complete nightmare and they're trying to make up as much time as they can when the road is clearer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here