Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Skiers – 100 best ski runs - how many can you tick off ?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
World's 100 best ski runs I know these lists are always subjective and people always disagree with them – but that aside how many have you clocked up. Or what other runs should be added to the list

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
11 - and I never knew you could ski in Morocco either.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Tamara Hinson has more money than I have, although I appear to have done most of the European runs apart from Scotland. Like football matches they all blur into something similar after so many years. A lot of these runs are ruined by Snowboards and are not what they used to be, after 50 years of green, blue red and Black.
Meribel is my favourite resort, my best run, after a cup of tea with the ski patrol guys in their hut at the top of Mont Vallon, was skiing down as the sun went down.

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
A big 20 for me….well impressed with myself:). I'd love to try some of the obscure ones such as India.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Can't say I know names but Jerusalem at Meribel is a defo and probably most at Mammoth

O/T but best resorts for me would be Mammoth, Meribel, Squaw and Zermatt .. oh and maybe Chamonix

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Will be going to Whistler and Blackcomb in March – they have about 6 runs on this list. Looking forward to it as the skiing conditions in the North East USA are absolute shit at the minute. Liked Alta as they prohibit snowboards.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Not me but this is my family claim to fame. Last winter my nephew did delirium dive. He is the youngest ever at age 8. My brother emigrated five years ago and they live near Calgary. He is being brought up a Brit so keep an eye out for a Canadian Brit in the Winter Olympics in 2026 when he will be 21.

15. Delirium Dive, Sunshine Village, Banff, Alberta
This steep, Canadian trail is an experts-only affair.
Only skiers and snowboarders with avalanche transponders are allowed to tackle it, because it's extremely avalanche-prone.
Watch out for: Avalanches.
Rating: Double black diamond

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Will be going to Whistler and Blackcomb in March – they have about 6 runs on this list. Looking forward to it as the skiing conditions in the North East USA are absolute shit at the minute. Liked Alta as they prohibit snowboards.

Best place I've skied - helped it was for two weeks over Christmas and New Year in a fully catered log cabin though ! Huge area with very few queues and the Canadians are probably the politest people I've ever met.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
only about 6-8 iknow i've been to the resorts, but the actual runs i'm not sure

51. La Face, Val d'Isere, France - definatly done this on Skis & Snowboard

..... A lot of these runs are ruined by Snowboards and are not what they used to be......

why do you say this skip ? have the boards made the slope smooother, bumpier, wider, narrower, steeper, shallower ? or just busier

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
31. Sache, Tignes, France

This run is located next to the Aiguille Percee or "eye of the needle."
The first half is steep, with moguls so huge they have to be climbed down if you're a snowboarder -- skiers should find it easier.
The second half is easier, snaking all the way down to Tignes le Brevieres, the resort's lowest point.
Watch out for: Car-sized moguls.
Rating: Black

IMG_0326.JPG

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
only about 6-8 iknow i've been to the resorts, but the actual runs i'm not sure

51. La Face, Val d'Isere, France - definatly done this on Skis & Snowboard

why do you say this skip ? have the boards made the slope smooother, bumpier, wider, narrower, steeper, shallower ? or just busier

Because skis create moguls that are spaced for skis, boards don't turn the same as skis and sweep more snow when turning, previous difficult mogul fields become unskiable. Over time the slopes have got a lot more crowded probably through the addition of trendy boarding.
I think the skills involved in skiing are greater than boarding, despite what my nieces and the younger members of my family try to convince me. It makes it more accessible which leads to more crowded slopes that contain two different types of transport.
I note that some pistes, mainly in America I think, ban access to boards.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
18, all of which can vary hugely in terms of difficulty depending on snow conditions and time of day.

I don't think snowboarders have as much of and effect of the types of moguls created as just the shear volume of skiers on the hill.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
13. Vallée Blanche (France) My local :)

I've ticked off a few of those runs, and plan to do a few more this winter: 49. Sarenne, Alpe d'Huez, France I've raced this on my mountain bike in the summer, does that count?

84. Vallon d'Arby, Verbier, Switzerland

78. Piste 38, Kitzbühel, Austria

66. Aguille Rouge, Les Arcs, France

65. Couloir Croix des Verdons, Courchevel, France

59. Tortin, Verbier, Switzerland

52. Harakiri, Mayrhofen, Austria

44. Grand Couloir, Courchevel, France

41. The Hahnenkamm, Kitzbühel, Austria

33. Cosmiques Couloir, Chamonix, France - I can see this from my office, well, I can see the midi and the bossons glacier, the run is off the back, rope in, drop down. Not done this one.

28. Harakiri, Mayrhofen, Austria

3. Ventina, Cervinia, Italy

LOL @ No 1. I wouldn't agree with that.

Can't wait to get over to B.C next winter and tick a few more boxes.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Because skis create moguls that are spaced for skis, boards don't turn the same as skis and sweep more snow when turning, previous difficult mogul fields become unskiable. Over time the slopes have got a lot more crowded probably through the addition of trendy boarding.
I think the skills involved in skiing are greater than boarding, despite what my nieces and the younger members of my family try to convince me. It makes it more accessible which leads to more crowded slopes that contain two different types of transport.
I note that some pistes, mainly in America I think, ban access to boards.

fair enough, and the other side of the coin, skiers can make some slopes unboardable because skis create moguls that are spaced for skis, boards don't turn the same previous difficult steep slopes become mogul fields and make us sea-sick when going down

how would you react if some pistes were board only ?

skills -set are different - the main hurdle is that most skiiers don't want to be a beginner again and only do a days boarding - and write it off

2 weeks of novice effort required to board

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have done about 10 or 11 including number 1.

There are only 99 on the list as Harakiri has been mentioned twice!

I really fancy Kashmir (it's supposed to be as close to a heli-drop as you can get on a chair lift), Chile and Argentina. If only...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
No1 is just a board and a tree, no snow in sight. Nothing to do with skiing. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here