*Official - who will we play... IT'S PORT VALE*

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
FA Cup third round replay
Venue: Home Park Date: Tuesday, 14 January Kick-off: 19:45 GMT

Plymouth Argyle bring back keeper Jake Cole in place of Luke McCormick for Tuesday's FA Cup third round replay.

New signing Jason Banton is ineligible, having appeared in the competition for MK Dons already this season.

Port Vale must make a change as, after making his debut in Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Brentford, on-loan Fulham defender Jack Grimmer is not available.

Joe Davis could keep his place, but fellow defenders Chris Robertson and Carl Dickinson are expected to return.

MATCH STATS
• These sides drew 2-2 at Vale Park on Sunday, 5 January - their first ever meeting in the FA Cup.

• Plymouth's best ever FA Cup performance saw them reach the semi-finals. They reached the last four in 1984 when they were beaten by Watford at Villa Park.

• Port Vale were FA Cup semi-finalists in 1954 - the furthest they have ever gone in the competition.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Curious looking programme from their FA Cup Semi v Watford in 1994

Attachments

• plymouth.jpg
    plymouth.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,329

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wow, they've already played the game. What was the result? :thumbsup:

Jesus, you can't rely on the BBC for anything! Duly edited.

Glad this isn't a Brighton game, we'd be jinxed now and everyone would be throwing abuse at me.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Curious looking programme from their FA Cup Semi v Watford in 1994

A Plymouth fan got his revenge on the Watford scorer in this Semi-Final match many decades later by biting his ear off. Sad but true.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A Plymouth fan got his revenge on the Watford scorer in this Semi-Final match many decades later by biting his ear off. Sad but true.

"Angry fan bites off soccer player's ear.
(19 YEARS after the game!!)

LONDON (Reuters) - Forward George Reilly, who scored Watford's winning goal in the 1984 FA Cup semi-final, has had his ear bitten off by a disgruntled Plymouth fan who had held a grudge over his team's defeat for 19 years. Reilly, a 6 feet 4 inch striker became a bricklayer after hanging up his boots and was working on a building site in Corby, Northants when a labourer punched him to the ground, The Sun newspaper has reported. The attacker chewed off one of Reilly's ears and whispered 'Plymouth' into the other one. Doctors had to use 50 stitches to sew 45-year-old Reilly's ear back on. Plymouth lost the semi-final 1-0 -- the closest they have ever come to reaching the FA Cup final. Watford lost 2-0 to Everton in the final. "I can't believe someone has held a grudge for that long," said Reilly, who also played for Newcastle United. "I know people have strong loyalties but this is taking it a bit far. "This guy just punched me. I overpowered him and we were both lying in a pool of mud. Then he bit me. My ear was hanging by the lobe. I also needed eight stitches in my eye, so I'm in a bit of a mess." Reilly, who said he may call in the police, added: "The bloke was from Plymouth but he has vanished from the building site. I don't know who he is."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not bothered except that the Port Vale ground and their Neanderthal fans are a throwback and I quite like Plymouth as team and a ground.

I have great memories of getting promoted at Plymouth and not so good ones of the fancy dress end of season game against Port Vale

As I won't be going to either game who cares :shrug:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
C'mon, the ear-biters!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here