Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South of India

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Visiting India next week and wondering if anyones been/ has any advice?

Will be going for three weeks and visiting Bangalore, Goa and probably Delhi as well as smaller regions all in the south

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
take a sun hat

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Only been to Delhi, Agra, Gurgaon i'm afraid. Don't look beggars in the eye and do not allow organised trips to stop off at rug makers or the like, they will make it tough for you to leave without buying anything. Amazing country though

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Bangalore is the best of the places I've been, seems a bit more spread out than say Mumbai. That said, I did get caught in a flash flood in November and had to wade through some very foul smelling water. I followed a lot of peoples advice with regards not eating salad/seafood etc... but to be honest I think it was overkill on my part as plenty of westerners were going for it and didn't seem bothered.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I visited Delhi and Bangalore a few years ago. Second week was largely wiped out because I'd stupidly asked for ice in my whisky. Lesson: even in a four-star Marriott hotel they fail to use bottled water to make ice.

The Golden Triangle of Delhi, Agra, Jaipur – tourist trap for sure – remains a must-visit, for its stunning architecture and beautiful, evocative scenery.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The best two words in Bangalore and across South India are 'Meals Ready', written on the boards outside the thali restaurants: unlimited veggie curry for little more than a few pence... :drool:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I think my favourite place in the south was Mysore. The palace there has to be seen to be believed - especially when lit up at night.

That and Mahabalipuram on the east coast.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
make sure you eat the street food

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Went to Kerala in 2005 just after the tsunami, some signs of biblical devastation right on the southern tip of the sub-continent but the locals were just getting on with things.If it had happened over here we would still be wringing our hands and "woe is me".Certainly heed the advice re; bottled water and make sure the bottle is sealed when you buy it. OK to eat fish generally but be wary of meat. Fresh fruit and vegetables in abundant supply and perfectly good to eat. Beware of pickpockets at very busy tourist sights and railway stations, get a money belt and use it. Don't keep any more cash in your pocket than you need to.Rumour is that a lot of the upset tummy stuff is down to the common practice of the people keeping banknotes in their underwear...I'll leave you to figure out the implications of that!Poverty can be very upsetting so bear that in mind. All in all though easily the loveliest place I have ever visited with genuinely fantastic people, sights, sounds and even smells.I found it the most difficult place I have ever visited to leave after a fortnight. Going back next month on a guided motorbike tour , can't wait. Oh ,just remembered, visit the hill stations and tea plantations if you get a chance.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The best two words in Bangalore and across South India are 'Meals Ready', written on the boards outside the thali restaurants: unlimited veggie curry for little more than a few pence... :drool:

I think my favourite place in the south was Mysore. The palace there has to be seen to be believed - especially when lit up at night.

This and that.

I'd also recommend a couple of days in Panaji (Panjim) on your way to the Goan beaches. In terms of beaches, Patnem/Palolem and the surrounding area is nice.
If you've got time you should go to Hampi too. It's about 7hrs by train from Panjim IIRC.

It's been a while since I was in the north of India but it left a lasting impression and was far more of a culture shock than the south- a true sensory overload. The south almost seemed bland by comparison but maybe I'm a little jaded (there was a 7 year gap between my travels in the north and south). Of the cities in Rajasthan, Jodphur was my favourite.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Filthy country full of beggars and you're bound to get the runs.

I suggest you visit a civilised country.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
When visiting Delhi just don't drink the water and be careful what you eat, it's not called Delhi belly for nothing.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Go to Om Beach in Gokarna it's just south of Goa - beats anything goa's got if you want to get a feel for India.

Hampi is a must do.

As for the water/salad/ice paranoia - if you have a decent constitution then it's all safe south of Mumbai.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
never ever been sick in India. i am sure some people must go round licking the bloody pavements or something.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here