Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gatwick to Guildford train line

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
With NSC being the font of all knowledge and all that....

I have the possibility of a new job based in Guildford. Does anyone here happen to use the Gatwick to Guildford rail line, and if so what is the reliability like on there?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes me. I get the 7.58 from Gatwick. If you're coming from Brighton the connecting service is the 7.14 which is often late or short formed. If you miss the connection to the 7.58 you need to go to Redhill. The next one from there isn't till 8.33. They are diesel trains so reliable as in don't break down but it's not a main line and a signalling problem will stuff you. I currently work in Reigate but am moving back to London in March and can't wait because I'd rather have a longer trip with no changes. Basically that line is ok if the connections work but at least once a fortnight you'll be at Redhill station freezing your tits off and cursing FGW.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ask [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION], he'll talk you out of it

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yes me. I get the 7.58 from Gatwick. If you're coming from Brighton the connecting service is the 7.14 which is often late or short formed. If you miss the connection to the 7.58 you need to go to Redhill. The next one from there isn't till 8.33. They are diesel trains so reliable as in don't break down but it's not a main line and a signalling problem will stuff you. I currently work in Reigate but am moving back to London in March and can't wait because I'd rather have a longer trip with no changes. Basically that line is ok if the connections work but at least once a fortnight you'll be at Redhill station freezing your tits off and cursing FGW.

Thanks. The 7.14 from Brighton is the one I was looking at. I'm doing the opposite of you and want to stop going to London as I've been doing for 8 years now. That will already take 44 minutes off my current commute as my usual train is the 6.30 and if I can do the same on the return journey that'll be nearly an hour and half back.

Do you get a seat normally?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks. The 7.14 from Brighton is the one I was looking at. I'm doing the opposite of you and want to stop going to London as I've been doing for 8 years now. That will already take 44 minutes off my current commute as my usual train is the 6.30 and if I can do the same on the return journey that'll be nearly an hour and half back.

You will get a seat on 7.14 and 7.58 really easily. The 7.58 fills with sixth form students at Redhill so if you ever have to change there instead you'll be standing from there to Guildford. At peak flying times you'll also have to battle giant suitcases. The train changes direction at Redhill so some first timers* block the doors with their cases thinking that side will never open.

*idiots

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Slow, smelly (diesel) and bloody freezing in the winter. My parents used this line from Eastbourne and changed at Gatwick to Reading to visit me.
They now go to Victoria and tube to Paddington.
At least you are only going to Guildford, but the folks hated that line.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I use it most Wednesdays. Best to get the train from Redhill to Gatwick. I get the 7:10. It's not the most reliable of services. If it doesn't run, you'd be best to go to Clapham Junction & get the train to Guildford. The scenery for most part is stunning between Reigate and Guildford.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Not really on subject but I was told that if (what do I mean IF ?!) WHEN there are rail problems between Redhill and London it's often quicker to go to Guildford and get the train to London.
Quite bizarre really but there again so is Southern bloody Rail !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

How long was your journey to your London work door to door and what is it going to be when you are in Guildford.

I used to work in Guildford but had a company car, driving from Burgess Hill. Not a great fun journey but needed the car for work. On the odd occasion we had a night out in Guildford, got the Gatwick/Guildford train. Seemed bloody slow.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

That basically sums it up. I use the same trains each morning. One tip, if you get to gatwick and the 7.58 is cancelled due to delays from Reading then get the first train to redhill (the 8.01 FCC) as once in a blue moon you may still catch the Guildford train if it is delayed enough, otherwise it is the aforementioned 8.33. When it works it is a pleasant journey with nice scenery, when it doesn't see the ranting threads for the expressions of frustration.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Another thing to watch out for is the delay on the 7.14 missing the connection at gatwick, just like this morning! Today it's signal failure in Purley, which has a nice Reggie Perrin-esque ring to it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The scenery for most part is stunning between Reigate and Guildford.
Yes, yes it is. It follows the Surrey Downs/A25 for the most part.

And the line goes right past my back garden about half a mile before Reigate station. (Well, our garden looks down on the railway line at that point, but most of my neighbours garden's back directly onto it).

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not really on subject but I was told that if (what do I mean IF ?!) WHEN there are rail problems between Redhill and London it's often quicker to go to Guildford and get the train to London.
Quite bizarre really but there again so is Southern bloody Rail !

If ticket acceptance is in place - then yes. If not - then your leaving yourself open to a possible penalty fare.

If you can drive.

The rail service is terrible and delivers little value for money.

Take it you havent ever tried driving through parts of Surrey at rush hour then ? Its HELL - not to mention the train is probably cheaper.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here