Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Following on from the successful 2013 thread ( here - http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ust-have-albums-of-2013&highlight=albums+2013) we are about to start seeing the 2014 releases. Some that I'm particuarly looking forward to in the next couple of weeks are

Actress - Ghettoville
Mogwai - Rave Tapes
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Wig Out at Jagbags
East India Youth - Total Stife Forever ( A VERY early album of the year candidate if the singles are anything to go by.)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I will be picking up East India Youth, Steve Malmus and the Jicks and Mutual Benefit albums on pay day. Also the new British Sea Power album (an OST) which sounds amazing from what I've heard on youtube, not their usual style being largely instrumental post rock but it sounds beautiful.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
First Album of the Year candidate has to be September Girls - Cursing The Sea. Sublime.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I will be picking up East India Youth, Steve Malmus and the Jicks and Mutual Benefit albums on pay day. Also the new British Sea Power album (an OST) which sounds amazing from what I've heard on youtube, not their usual style being largely instrumental post rock but it sounds beautiful.

Have you seen the film that the soundtrack has come from? (it has been on BBC 4 a couple of times.) It's is brilliant, I almost think it will be a shame to listen to the soundtrack without the pictures.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Have you seen the film that the soundtrack has come from? (it has been on BBC 4 a couple of times.) It's is brilliant, I almost think it will be a shame to listen to the soundtrack without the pictures.

No- but I understand the soundtrack comes WITH the film, and yes I heard the same thing from the DIS review.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Just offlined East India Youth for a listen at Lunch time today. Love these threads for recommendations.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Following on from the successful 2013 thread ( here - http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ust-have-albums-of-2013&highlight=albums+2013) we are about to start seeing the 2014 releases. Some that I'm particuarly looking forward to in the next couple of weeks are

Actress - Ghettoville
Mogwai - Rave Tapes
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Wig Out at Jagbags
East India Youth - Total Stife Forever ( A VERY early album of the year candidate if the singles are anything to go by.)

On another post, you're speaking about music alongside film. That Mogwai Les Revanants is an amazing soundtrack, and listening to it is extremely evocative of what was one of the best TV series of last year.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That album was stunning. I am amazed it did not get more praise than it did last year. I wonder if they will be doing another for the second series?
Also Mogwai's album before Les Revanants, Hardcore will never die.... was bloody good too so I am looking forward to Rave Tapes a lot.

ALL Mogwai albums are worth a listen. I'd start with Ten Rapid, a compilation of their early singles. Contains some terrifying guitar squalls. A "Best Of" Mogwai album would be stunning, but hard to narrow it down to less than 20 tracks.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Was going to ask you precisely what this Hungry Face that gave you the chills yesterday was, but I then looked at the CD box, and found out that it was the first track. Hope you've recovered.

I'm still a bit spooked. I have a seven mile cycle ride home later in the dark. Will be avoiding the underpass.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
On another post, you're speaking about music alongside film. That Mogwai Les Revanants is an amazing soundtrack, and listening to it is extremely evocative of what was one of the best TV series of last year.

Love this album, didn't realise it was a soundtrack.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I saw East India Youth as support to either BSP or The Fall at Hove Market Place. I can't remember which it was but it was definitely in that venue. Having heard some of the album I wish I had paid more attention to him at the time- well worth a listen.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I almost bought East India Youth at Resident on Saturday. And September Girls. Slightly regretting that now, but will see if Spotify comes up trumps. May have to give that Warpaint stream a listen too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
East India Youth is/are at The Green Door Store 7th Feb. A mere £6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here