Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Malta

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thinking of heading to Malta for a week in April.

Anyone recommend somewhere to stay, eat, drink etc ?

Also are vegetarians well catered for ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good if you want to go to somewhere that is like England in the sun or was when we went there in the 90s. Are you still bombarded with time share sellers?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If the time share sellers still goes on it tends to get rather annoying after a while.

Pleasant place and if you go take a trip to Valetta as very pleasant small city.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The timeshare sellers are mostly in the hotels these days - property is now quite expensive round Sliema St Julians

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do an NSC search on the subject. Will tell you all there is to know.

And you'll have failed bigtime if you don't pay homage at Ollie's Bar in Valletta. Google is your friend here.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Tell the timeshare buggers that you are visiting your brother in law, who is a Maltese policeman and they will leave you in peace. Not sure why though, that particular phrase helped on both of my visits to Malta. :O

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What made me laugh is that because my girlfriend didn't go to the presentation because she was sunbathing they wouldn't let me go on it.

I was genuinely interested and they stopped me going.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Do an NSC search on the subject. Will tell you all there is to know.

And you'll have failed bigtime if you don't pay homage at Ollie's Bar in Valletta. Google is your friend here.

Ollies bar is worth a visit to pay homage or say you have been. It is NOT worth a repeat visit.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Thinking of heading to Malta for a week in April.

Anyone recommend somewhere to stay, eat, drink etc ?

Also are vegetarians well catered for ?

PM me if you want any info. I have been here 10 years. I would advise Sliema as a central location but Bugibba is also very popular with tourists.Veggies are pretty well catered for.If you can find a deal for the Fortina Spa then I recommend it. They have 5 restaurants including Chinese, Indian, Italian etc

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
PM me if you want any info. I have been here 10 years. I would advise Sliema as a central location but Bugibba is also very popular with tourists.Veggies are pretty well catered for.If you can find a deal for the Fortina Spa then I recommend it. They have 5 restaurants including Chinese, Indian, Italian etc

Thanks, might well be in touch. We are looking at renting an apartment rather than a hotel and I've found a couple on trip advisor in Sliema and St Julians. Just waiting for the owner to get back to us.
We're thinking of using buses/taxis rather than hiring a car, any reason not to ?

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
Re Buses -

Buses are fine, if you allow a few minutes late running here and there. A weekly ticket is now €6.50 , day ticket is €1.50. A lot of locals moan about the buses, but using them as a tourist I found nothing wrong with them. They are very frequent in tourist areas. However the service is due a renewal soon, but I wouldn't worry, there will still be buses!

If you are relying on a bus to get you back to the airport, allow of plenty of time as this will probably be the only time you will be bothered if its late! :

I've never used a taxi there, from what I have heard they are very expensive, especially when you think how small Malta is, eg Marina to the Pier, €20 please!

You must go to Gozo, peaceful and tranquil, like Malta in 1950s!

St Julians/Sliema is good as a base, excellent bus connections to Valletta and all other areas. However not the best for beaches etc, but you can swim off the rocks. St Julians is more lively and has a mini Ibiza area (if you could call it that) called Paceville. St Julians also has a small beach, St Georges Bay.

Bugibba is very touristy, Malta's version of Benidorm.

Oh, Malta is one of the safest countries in the world, (apart from the driving standards! :p)

Any more questions, give me a shout, been going yearly for 30 years now !

Last edited:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Thanks, might well be in touch. We are looking at renting an apartment rather than a hotel and I've found a couple on trip advisor in Sliema and St Julians. Just waiting for the owner to get back to us.
We're thinking of using buses/taxis rather than hiring a car, any reason not to ?

If you hire a car watch the old damage trick, when you pick it up get them to check off every mark and scratch and photograph it. When you take it back do the same and make sure you give the keys to someone - don't just hand them in.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well expect to hear gun shots as the 'brave hunters' of Malta slaughter the birds on their Spring migration......please don't support an economy that ignores EU & common decency by shooting anything that flies. http://www.birdlifemalta.org/ http://www.rspb.org.uk/volunteering/3946-malta-raptor-camp-spring-watch-volunteers

All the enthralled watchers of the peregrine at The Amex, please remember this when booking your holiday.

I condemn the hunting in Malta and in fact there has been a petition raised to have a referendum to ban hunting. However, the hunters do repeatedly point out that other EU countries (including the UK have far less restrictions than Malta and shoot many more creatures.) So before you cast the first stone be sure of your facts!

Check out http://www.huntinguk.com/

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Problem with hiring a car in Sliema, St Julians is parking - worse than brighton!

Also be careful about where you park - carefully read the signs and markings however faded or bad they are.

The buses are ok but not as good as the old ones they used to have - they were wrecks but ok and fun, now they are new they seem to break down a lot!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Use the bus:)

if you are not in a hurry and avoid rush hour that is a good way to get around. Hiring a car is good too but driving standards are very poor and hire cars have no rights at all:)

In Malta size is right so right of way depends on size of vehicle. Hire cars are bottom of the food chain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here