Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Future of Cricket - Lord McLaurin Suggests Axeing Sussex CCC

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
On Radio5 this morning Lord MacLuerin said in order to improve the England cricket team the counties structure should be reduced to twelve teams which would lead to the loss of Sussex and Kent.Not something i believe would ever happen,however he is an influential figure within cricket.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why would a reduction in counties improve the national side?

Has he dreamed this up overnight? Do we need a radical change or do we accept that the side is in a state of transition. If anything, we need to cull the amount of international cricket.

Lose Sussex? His Lordship can **** right off.

D

Deleted member 18477

Huh? He wants to lose 6 counties? From 18 to 12? :lolol:

How about England just pick the best players? The selectors have cocked up big time in recent weeks.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Getting more kids involved at an early age is the best way to improve our local and national teams in all sports. How many would rather play computer games than play sport? It's the reason that there are more players coming through from poorer countries to football as they don't get the option to sit on their arse's all day.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Why would a reduction in counties improve the national side?

Has he dreamed this up overnight? Do we need a radical change or do we accept that the side is in a state of transition. If anything, we need to cull the amount of international cricket.

Lose Sussex? His Lordship can **** right off.

It wouldn't, as far as I can see. He has probably looked at SA and Aus and realised they only have 6 first class teams, so we must reduce ours and then we will get better. Don't see the logic myself - the problem is lower down the ladder as we are constantly resorting to using "overseas" players in the England team. This assumes that there actually is a problem, as not that long ago, we were top in the rankings.

Agree re Sussex - rather get rid of Lancashire (too rainy)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
So Sussex, one of the top counties in the last decade in all forms of cricket, that are probably one of the better run, in terms of spectator support, and a non test venue counties should go. Wanker, piss off back to Tescos.
Counties like Kent, Gloucs, Leicester, Northants are all in financial crap. There is a good chance of one or two going bust soon, but Sussex wont be on that list.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not a big cricket bod, but seems this sort of bed wetting happens after every lost series or cup. do badly in the Twenty20 and they say they need to drop the 50 overs format, lose the Ashes and need to overhaul the championship. ignoring a good few years of being at the top and only a few months ago beating the Aussies.

and why lose Sussex and Kent two of the oldest clubs anyway?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I seem to recall an article suggesting there was not a single school with a grass wicket within Brighton & Hove. If anything, it is opportunities to play cricket in the proper form that hampers the quality of player being produced.

As an aside, they should look at the scheduling of county cricket. I would revert back to Sunday League cricket perhaps with the occasional day/night game.

Twenty20 is a problem. It is a cash cow, but disrupts the season with it being stuck in the middle and a long drawn out tournament.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
He's probably suggested Sussex & Kent as our grounds are not international venues and we don't make enough money for the ECB, who are the other counties he suggests culling, let me guess, Gloucs, Derbys, Leics, Essex, Somerset ?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
3 leagues of 6 counties each might make things a bit more interesting

I'd be quite keen to see something like this. Although I'd rather see a reduction in one day cricket with the 4 day format given priority.

Also, they really need to make sure div 1 and div 2 are more similar than they already are. Using a different ball with a larger seem in division 1 is madness!

Oct 25, 2003
I seem to recall an article suggesting there was not a single school with a grass wicket within Brighton & Hove. If anything, it is opportunities to play cricket in the proper form that hampers the quality of player being produced.

the thing is, there isn't really enough time in a school year to play much competitive cricket, as it comes just before the biggest holiday and smack bang in the middle of exam season. I remember playing about 4, perhaps 5 games a year at school level. not really worth a state school preparing and maintaining a grass wicket for that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think his point was to reduce the amount of poor quality county cricket matches. Having a "Super League " of the top 12 counties would lead to less games that were un competetive thus encouraging greater skills.

Mind you, every 20 years or so there is always a call for a shake up of county cricket. It all seemed to be going well with the introduction of central contracts and a two tier county championship. No complaints about the structure when we were ranked #1 in the world. (Albeit briefly)

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
the thing is, there isn't really enough time in a school year to play much competitive cricket, as it comes just before the biggest holiday and smack bang in the middle of exam season. I remember playing about 4, perhaps 5 games a year at school level. not really worth a state school preparing and maintaining a grass wicket for that.

Really? I remember we had a game pretty much every week during 3rd term at school. Plus the village teams always had a cricket festival in the summer hols - 5 games in a week, I seem to remember - does that still happen?
Schools should use the local town/village squares anyway - they are lying there unused most of the time during the week.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
As an aside, they should look at the scheduling of county cricket. I would revert back to Sunday League cricket perhaps with the occasional day/night game.
Hi Barrel, enjoy your comments. As it happens about 18 months ago, county cricket members were canvassed in their largest ever poll wrt: County Cricket scheduling and as a result have changed a fair bit from this season onwards - unfortunately not in ways that help me at all. I'm not a fan of Twenty20 so my season gets split into 2 really - also most championship cricket will now start on a Sunday (which doesn't suit me much)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here