timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
cos Lopez hadn't worked out that Zigic is 6ft 8

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Set-pieces have been BHA's Achilles heel since approximately when Noah shut the door on the Ark.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
BoF, your intuition is sound.

More statto madness on the goal value of corners than you've got weekend left to read and digest, here.

The goal value of any given corner is pretty much nil.

"The yield from corners ranges from 0 to .07. On average, the data show that a corner is good for (drumroll ....) 0.022 goals. This means that the average EPL team scores 1 goal from a corner about every 10 games.'

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BoF, your intuition is sound.

More statto madness on the goal value of corners than you've got weekend left to read and digest, here.

The goal value of any given corner is pretty much nil.

"The yield from corners ranges from 0 to .07. On average, the data show that a corner is good for (drumroll ....) 0.022 goals. This means that the average EPL team scores 1 goal from a corner about every 10 games.'

Nice find. Just as I suspected. We'd be better off punting it back to the Pole (or the Slovak).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have NEVER been good at corners. Even under Mullery, when we used to score 4 or 5 goals a game for fun, we tried short corners, and I don't recall scoring from any of them!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
There's a revolution coming to soccer/football. Because most everything we know is wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/s...eking-truth-in-statistics-of-soccer.html?_r=0

When he first arrived in England with Chelsea, Manager José Mourinho said: “How many countries can you think of where a corner kick is treated with the same applause as a goal? One. It only happens in England.”

I iived through the sabermetric revolution in baseball. Eventually things change, because the need to win never changes.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
i am sure i read/heard somewhere that more goals are conceded thanks to a clearance and counter attack than are actually scored

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Didn't Upson get back to back goals from corners this season? Barnsley/Boro? Or was the Barnsley one form a free-kick? (Wasn't at the match)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here