Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Fowler and Robbie Savage Apologising?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just now on Football focus, tuned in half way through and don't know what they're apologising for, can anyone enlighten me?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
For homophobic comments they made on the pitch to Graeme Le Saux years ago. There was already a story this week about Fowler sending an apology email to Le Saux. Savage didn't really apologize saying that he couldn't remember the comments. They were both mentioned in Le Saux's book (it seems).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Did Savage even say sorry? His response seemed to be focused on how he couldn't remember it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Savage teasing another footballer as gay? How does that work?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The homophobic taunts they are alleged to have targeted Graeme Le Saux when playing against him that he highlighted the other day in this cracking blog piece

http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.co...-saux-how-gay-slurs-almost-wrecked-my-career/
Good article. Highlights how something has to be done about homophobia in football. If fans are always prosecuted when making chants, it will eventually leave the game. While I'm never offended when fans chant against Brighton, as long as it happens you'll get people thinking it's ok, and no gay footballer will be able to be honest about their sexuality.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
To be fair Fowler had to put up with people calling him a cokehead for years. He got smashed to pieces in a restaurant toilet once because of it. These things happen. He dealt with it by doing that thing on the pitch line to tell the Everton fans what he thought. Le Saux needed to man up. Been worse said to other players. You don't hear Beckham saying he was on the verge of quitting the game because fans said his wife should die of cancer.......not saying it's right at all. The fact is maybe we as fans should get it if we cross the line

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
To be fair Fowler had to put up with people calling him a cokehead for years. He got smashed to pieces in a restaurant toilet once because of it. These things happen. He dealt with it by doing that thing on the pitch line to tell the Everton fans what he thought. Le Saux needed to man up. Been worse said to other players. You don't hear Beckham saying he was on the verge of quitting the game because fans said his wife should die of cancer.......not saying it's right at all. The fact is maybe we as fans should get it if we cross the line

What is this man up business? Put up with vile abuse? Why should anyone have to put up with that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So Savage cannot remember. Not quite the same as saying he didn't, or that he would not say something like that. What a couple of pricks those two are.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Fowler had chances to apologise in the aftermath of the bottom baring incident with Le Saux, but chose not to. Instead, it wasn't until he retired that he finally got round to it. That calls into question the actual sincerity of his apology.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fowler had chances to apologise in the aftermath of the bottom baring incident with Le Saux, but chose not to. Instead, it wasn't until he retired that he finally got round to it. That calls into question the actual sincerity of his apology.

Maybe maturity played a part? I hope Savage is pressed a bit more about his pathetic cannot remember comment.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Wouldn't surprise me if Savage can't remember taunting Le Saux given that he always gives the impression of being incredibly thick, even by the standards of his profession.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't surprise me if Savage can't remember taunting Le Saux given that he always gives the impression of being incredibly thick, even by the standards of his profession.

Agree. I've heard him on the radio a few times a while ago and could not help but think his co-presenters think this as well. The way they questioned him and the way the ignored his input was telling. Is he still on tv/radio much?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here